The finishing.com Hotline -- Serious Education ... plus the most fun you can have in metal finishing

Needing to know what CRONAK is?

I work for the Department of Defence and we have come across this finish that we have no notes on. I was wondering if you could tell me what it is and maybe how it is made. More speciifically I need to know the Density and Thickness that this finish uses.

Aaron Gambill
Government work! - Crane, Indiana

Hi, Aaron. Cronak was apparently an old-fashioned chromating process (see letter 10837 for discussion). Chromate conversion coatings are complicated mixtures; sorry I don't know the typical density or thickness of a Cronak finish.

Ted Mooney