logo            Relax, breathe easy, take your time: no popups.
   HOME / sitemapFAQsBOOKSHelp WantedsAdvertiseContact   you are here: Hotline/Forum => Letter 48677
most fun in metal finishing

Where to buy galvanized tin rolls

April 10, 2008

I am covering some old tables to be used out of doors and remember the galvanized tin top on a table of my mothers. I am trying to find a (fairly) local source but can only find steel rolls. Any suggestions our there?

Duffy Peterson
hobbyist - Las Vegas, New Mexico

May 2, 2008

Hi, Duffy. I think this is a semantics problem more than a sourcing problem :-)

It is true that tin is an element and it is not the same material as steel. Actual solid tin sheet or tin plated steel sheet is/was occasionally used on products like "Pie safe" Tinamazoninfo and punched tin lamp shades. But people often call steel sheet metal "tin", even though it is a very different thing from actual sheets of tin.

"Galvanized" means dipped in molten zinc. Real tin would not be galvanized, so when someone speaks of "galvanized tin" they are probably speaking of galvanized steel sheet metal -- not true tin sheets. Roof "flashing" for one would usually be galvanized steel sheet. Good luck.


pic of Ted Mooney Teds signature
Ted Mooney, P.E. RET
Pine Beach, New Jersey

ADD a Q or A to THIS thread START a NEW THREADView This Week's HOT TOPICS



JobshopsCapital Equip. & Install'nChemicals & Consumables Consult'g, Train'g, SoftwareEnvironmental ComplianceTesting Svcs. & DevicesUsed & Surplus

©1995-2015     -    Privacy    -    Search