The finishing.com Hotline -- Serious Education ... plus the most fun you can have in metal finishing

Hot blueing products and equipment

adv.    Heatbth  EPI  Schneider

My name is Darel Beck , I am interested in gun stock refinishing & I want to learn a little about the process of hot blueing & where can I get the equipment. I just try to do this as a hobby & to pass my spare time. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Darel Beck
hobbyist - Lexington, North Carolina

The equipment can range from a cast iron pot on a kitchen stove to a large open-top rectangular tank complete with accessory equipment, Darel.

If you try the former, you need to know how dangerous it is: a few drops of water get in the pot and the whole contents (290 degree lye) can "explode" all over you. Don't dream of it if you have children or pets, and don't consider it until you have full protective equipment as this is a painful way to die.

If you wish to do it industrially, the steel tank can be heated with gas immersion tubes or from below. Sorry, I cannot recommend hot bluing as a hobby or to pass the time. More info can be found under "black oxide". Good luck.

Ted Mooney   Teds signature

Darel, stock refinishing is just like any wood refinishing, and you can find information on wood refinishing sights. Hot bluing involves using a 300 degree caustic soda solution, which will go right through leather, wool, and skin (you can get heat burns and chemical burns at the same time) so safety is a big factor.
You also need a good ventilation system, since the fumes alone can cause many problems. Gun finishing sights can give you more information.

Ed Kay
- St. Louis, Missouri, USA