HOME / sitemapFAQsBOOKSHelp WantedsAdvertiseContact   you are here: Hotline/Forum => Letter 4902
most fun in metal finishing

Non reflective glass


I am Project Co-ordinator for a Hands-on Science Centre - we have a Suck-Blow mirror made up of a Mylar reflective film connected to a simple bellow that allows the visitor to change the flexible Mylar film from convex to concave (change the reflected image).

We need to protect the Mylar film from damage as it is very thin, we have a piece of toughened glass sheet in front of it (spaced off 100mm to allow for the movement of the film) but this is producing a double image and ruining the effect of the exhibit. The glass is circular with a diameter of approx. 1300mm. Does anyone know of a film or spray or finish that can be applied to the glass to make this non-reflective? Help!

David W
- Bristol, England


David - It sounds like you're looking for the coating that is used on eyeglasses to reduce glare. I would try contacting a major eyeglass lens mfgr. to find out what that coating is. Good Luck

Dan Brewer
chemical process supplier - Gurnee, Illinois


David, This may be a stupid idea but what about using some polarized sheeting over the glass Wasn't the old 'saccrimeter test' (at least I think that is the right name) one whereby one placed two pieces of polarized sheeting on each side of a piece of clear acrylic and rotated them?

The original test being something to do with testing sugar, I believe. This shows very visibly if there are any stresses in the acrylic (welding, cementing, bending, drilling etc). Regards to the Vic. place, Henleaze & the Downs & to Wallace & Grommit ... Cheers from an ex-Bristolian. Dan Brewer's idea sounds like a good suggestion.

freeman newton portrait Freeman Newton
- White Rock, British Columbia, Canada
freeman newton died


I am a picture framer. I need mylar glass. It is about an 1/8th of an inch thick. No frame shops will sell and I cannot find a supplier. I need to buy it in a good quantity at a good price. Any ideas will be much appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Charles L
- Burlington, VT, USA


To cancel glare on glass contact Rosco Lighting in New York or Los Angeles, or

They make products used by motion picture gaffers ( lighting people ) that can be sprayed on glass, such as windows, to eliminate reflections on motion picture sets. They are very knowledgeable

Dan McGarigle
- El Segundo, California

November 27, 2008

I think the problem you are describing is a newton ring. There is an anti glare coating that can be applied or you can get the glass very lightly shot blasted. You could try an Anti Reflective coating but I don't think this will help as its only getting rid of the reflection on the surface you get coated.

diamond coatings- Halesowen, UK

ADD a Q or A to THIS thread START a NEW THREADView This Week's HOT TOPICS



JobshopsCapital Equip. & Install'nChemicals & Consumables Consult'g, Train'g, SoftwareEnvironmental ComplianceTesting Svcs. & DevicesUsed & Surplus

©1995-2015     -    Privacy    -    Search