Removal of copper plating from zinc and/or lead

I would like to know if there is a way to remove copper plating from a zinc item. I have a customer that has these copper figurines that I believe are made of zinc. Areas of the copper are missing and corosion has occured. He would like to have them copper plated again but I'm guessing the zinc was not properly cleaned before the copper plating was done. How can this copper plating be removed without disturbing the zinc. I see that all the acids I know of eat away zinc faster than copper. What would be the best solution? Thanks. Ron

Ron Kornacki
Powder Coating Shop Owner - Rocky Hill, Connecticut

Just a follow up. I was searching the internet and found that possibly using Nitrous Acid would work. Will it? I'm not sure exactly what it is or how it would be used. Thanks in advance for any help. Ron

Ron Kornacki
- Rocky Hill, CT

First of two simultaneous responses -- March 28, 2008

Can you not re-plate the whole part? I have polished and chromed zinc parts leaving what remains of the old copper in place; re-coppering then chrome plating.

Andrew Burt
Plating shop employee - Worcester England

Second of two simultaneous responses -- March 31, 2008

Perhaps a possible way would be to glass bead blast them with care.