Looking to change my gold class ring to silver, platinum, or nickel

+++++++

I have a gold class ring that sits in a closet drawer because I have a platinum wedding ring and silver watch. This was an expensive gift and would like to wear it if it matched (not fond of gold color). Excuse my ignorance, given the detail in the ring, I assume this is a waste of time, that any dipping to cover the ring would make the detail unreadable. Do you have any advice? Scrap the idea? Thank you in advance for your assistance.

David Zaslaw
buyer - Yorktown Heights, New York

+++++++

The only reason I dislike recommending rhodium plating of a yellow gold ring is that putting such recommendations in print helps shoddy jewelers justify selling yellow gold rings with rhodium plating. It will work, it's just not as durable as rhodium plating a white gold ring because of the contrast as the plating wears thin. Rhodium plating is very thin; it should have no discernible effect on the detail of the ring. Silver plating is also do-able, it's just that it isn't as hard, it tarnishes, and it may be hard to find a jeweler who does it.

I have a platinum engagement ring and a white gold wedding band. The white gold band is beginning to look a little yellow. I would like it to be platinum like the engagement ring, but don't want to buy anything new because these are sentimental. Is it possible to dip a white gold ring in platinum. I've never heard of this and don't even know if it's something can be done. Any suggestions?

Jennifer McClain
- Phenix City, Alabama

Jennifer,
I think you would find it easier to have the white gold ring plated in Rhodium than you would in Platinum. Platinum plating is not as common in the US as Rhodium is. Rhodium is harder than platinum as well. A reputable jeweler in your area could take care of it for you, although they may have to send the piece out to be plated.

process engineer - Syracuse, New York

I have a ring that my husband had bought me, when we bought it we were told that the ring is 14k white gold rhodium bonded. It is starting to wear and I am so upset! I LOVE my ring and want it plated or dipped to save it. The diamonds are CZ which is my only worry. I am not sure where to get this done at, or how, or prices. If there is any advise please let me know! Thanks.

Kylee Read
- Gilbert Arizona

Hi, Kylee.

All white gold rings need periodic replating if you want to keep that brilliant shine. White gold is whitish, but it doesn't have that dazzling look of rhodium. It's just a question of frequency, which depends on the quality of the rhodium plating and how white the underlying gold is. I've heard prices from about $25 (which sounds too low for a quality job) up to about $100 at a jeweler, but maybe a little more at plating shops that specialize in jewelry. I don't think the plating solution will hurt any stones, including cubic zirconia, but the jeweler or plating shop would know for sure.