Emissivity of stainless steel

+++++++

I want to use to steel plates in an oven where the temperatures are around 700°C. I was told that stainless steel (310) is a very good option. However this king of stainless steel has a low emissivity (usually) and therefore I am looking for finishing processes in order to increase the emissivity (preferably above 0.8)

If anyone know an answer to my application then please tell me, btw the steel ptales are 1 mm thick and about 1x1 mó

thank you

Georges EL HITTI
PhD student - France

+++++++

How about ceramics? Ceramic coatings are corrosion resistant, very hard and oxidation immune but I don't know about their emmisivites. if you are looking for a metallic coating, highly emmisive metals include aluminum (very low melting point), silver (m.p. 960oC), gold (best for infreared wavelength).

+++++++

thank you for your answer,

The problem with ceramic coatings is that they might peel off due to the expansion/retraction of the stainless steel when subjected to continues heating/cooling cycles.

About the high emissive metal coating, I will look more into them but just practically can I buy a silver coating and apply it myself for exemple or is it just too complicated.

thank you

Georges EL HITTI
- Paris, France

+++++++

Generally, silver metallization is not too complicated if you have the right chemicals and equipment but doing it over stainless steel may be difficult. You may get very poor adhesion and peel-off during furnace operation.