How to remove silica scale from faucets, etc.

+++++++

Q. I am looking for a non-abrasive method to remove silica build up on faucets, shower heads, etc.

Mark Schanfein
homeowner - Los Alamos, New Mexico

+++++++

A. Commercial products like Lime Away and CLR are made for the purpose or removing build-ups, Mark. If they are ineffectual, my suspicion is that the problem is actually pitting in the underlying zinc die castings. That can't be fixed.

+++++++

Q. Ted,

Thanks for the feedback, indeed Lime and CLR do not work, and the white build up I am talking about is on the plastic shower nozzle and the interior glass surfaces of the shower stall. Our water analysis shows high concentrations of silica. Is there a chemical approach to remove this type of scale?

Mark Schanfein
- Los Alamos, New Mexico, USA

+++++++

A. Those cleaners are essentially organic acids for removing carbonates of calcium and magnesium. They won't remove silica, which is itself acid (at least chemically, although it's not corrosive-type acid).

Just because the water has a high silica content, does that necessarily mean the deposits are silica? Maybe it's just soap scum that will come off with an alkaline cleaner?

Bill Reynolds
   consultant metallurgist
Ballarat, Victoria, Australia

It is this website's profoundly sad
duty to relate the news that Bill
passed away on Jan. 29, 2010.

+++++++

A. You might try cleaning it with a solution of 2 -4 tablespoons of bicarb of soda in hot water, followed by a rinse followed by straight white vinegar. Repeat two or three cycles and see if anything happens. Scotch brite, even fine ones will probably scratch the plating.

misc. plating stuff
For Sale cheap

+++++++

Q. Actually, my public works department said to try Lime Away and CLR and if that did not take it off, it confirmed it is silica. Definitely not soap scum, especially on the shower head. It is also building up on the glass shower door. I can scrape it off with a razor blade. That is not a practical approach for a showerhead that is made out of plastic with the water slots filling up with the deposits and so the desire for a chemical approach. It looks like there is not one from the responses so far.

Mark Schanfein
- Los Alamos, New Mexico, USA

+++++++

A. I have the same issue and have tried EVERY product that there is without success until I found this one. It is called A-maz =>

from www.somaca.com and it comes with a scrubby. You must work the product very hard but it will remove everything. Then I use a glass product made for car windows to repel water and apply two coats (Aquapel). Even with this protectant my water has so much silica that I clean over this 1x per week with kaboom. Reapply repellant 1x per month. When I first used A-maz I did not think it worked. Then my contractor brought some over and really worked it in and it did most of the trick. Good luck!

lois cole
- salem oregon usa

A-maz Glass Cleaner /
Water Stain Remover

+++++++

A. We've had the same problem and found a product called Spot X [link is to product info & reviews at Amazon] that works beautifully. Also, as far as the showerhead, CLRamazoninfo will do the trick but you must soak the part in full strength CLR for 24 hours or so. Hope this helps.

Eddie Cruey
- Davidson, North Carolina

A. Mark from Los Alamos is right about the high silica content in our water. I live nearby and have the same problem with these white-ish spots on my shower door. I had the water tested and confirmed my water had unusually high silica levels. I have tried all the usual remedies but the one that did work and removed over 8 years of silica deposits is A-maz.

I used a Black & Decker mouse =>

with a non-abrasive polishing pad [a surface similar to a 3M "scrubby] and applied the A-maz to the shower door, let it dry over a few minutes and then applied the mouse to the area. I would wet the polishing pad with liquid spray A-maz every so often to loosen up the dried Amaz paste on the pad and this would continue to remove the silica from the glass. The glass shower door is as clear and bright as the day it was installed!

Chrys Fisher
- Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA

Mouse Sander