The finishing.com Hotline -- Serious Education ... plus the most fun you can have in metal finishing

Discolored Stainless Steel Flatware

(2007)

Last November our five year old Lincoln Log home burned to the ground and we lost everything.Most of my stainless steel flatware (service for 24) survived but turned blue.

Is it possible to restore it?

Renate Buck
hobbyist - Pottersville, N.Y., U.S.A.

(2007)

Yes, you can restore it with a metal polish (look for one intended for stainless steel), and lots of elbow grease.

A cloth buffing wheel on a bench grinder with stainless steel buffing compound would be even better.

Jeffrey Holmes, CEF
- Spartanburg, South Carolina

My stainless steel flatware has acquired a green tinge and sometimes a pink tinge. Why? I've tried stainless steel cleaner to no avail. I use it normally and wash in the dishwasher. Thank you.

Stephanie Hepburn
- Mt Kisco, New York