MIL-C-5541 aka MIL-DTL-5541 specification questions

+++++++

We process work to this spec & have a few questions:

Do we automatically switch all work we receive referencing prior spec (Mil-C-5541 [link is to spec at TechStreet]) to the new spec ( Mil-DTL-5541 [link is to spec at dla.mil / Defense Logistics Agency])?

Re: corrosion salt spray testing: will one set of 5 panels in 2024 alloy processed to Class 3 suffice for all salt spray requirements?

Re: wet tape testing - para 3.6.2 states that unless customers P.O. states this test isn't required we need to do it - is that correct?

Para 6 notes:
- states "not mandatory" for anything under para 6 - that covers 5 pages ! is that correct?
- what about 6.4 "acquisition documents"? This states what information acquisition documents , i.e., our P.O. should contain. We have NEVER received a P.O. with all of that information on it - has anybody else?

Thanks in advance for your feedback & help

David A. Kraft
plating shop employee - Long Island City, New York

+++++++

Yes you must switch to Mil-DTL-5541 [link is to spec at dla.mil / Defense Logistics Agency] F.
If you check option 2 it states that you can use 6061 T-6 for your salt spray tests if you are doing class 3, check 6:10.
You must do the salt spray within 35 days. check 4:2:1:1 frequency.
Wet paint test yes Table 1.

Hope this helps,

Micheline Forth
finishing company - Rincon, Georgia

+++++++

Just have a quick check of the drawing and purchase order before moving lock, stock and barrel to the latest issue of 5541. If the drawing or PO calls up an earlier issue of the document you are obliged by your contract to operate to that issue. Believe me, it happens. Working in the industry that I do I have seen call up of documents some 20 years out of date and the customer has insisted that we work to that issue.

Brian Terry
Aerospace - Yeovil, Somerset, UK

I am interested if anyone answered the point for David WRT number of panel required to satisfy class 3.

I am trying to understand the requirements of DTL-5541F - looking at Mil-DTL-81706 [link is to spec at TechStreet] class 3, there is a direct requirement when qualifying (table 11), using 10 plates - 5 plates for ER without salt spray and 5 plates that are subjected to salt Spray and then ER tested. MIL-DTL-5541F doesn't specifically request that, can the plates that were originally used for ER be then subjected to the salt spray and then further subjected to the ER after salt spray or is the intent to be as per MIL-DTL-81706B ?

Kind Regards

Glendeleted
- Edinburgh Parks, SA, Australia

Q. I'm mainly interested as someone came by my desk with a drawing requiring Class 1C per MIL-C-5541A.

Since class 1A exists, I presume there would have been 1B and 1C at some point, and now I'm curious to know what the older revisions contained, for historical perspective.

Sameer Kumar
- Everett, Washington, USA