HOME / sitemapFAQsBOOKSHelp WantedsAdvertiseContact   you are here: Hotline/Forum => Letter 44219 page 3

Corrosion and fuel blockage in Ford diesel fuel tanks (p.3)

1     2     3

After the engine froze, my truck was towed to the nearest Ford dealer in Annapolis, Maryland. Without hesitation, the service manager diagnosed the problem as little slivers from the fuel tank getting into the fuel injection system. According to the service manager, the cost of repairing the fuel system is $2,800.00. However, if the slivers were in the engine, a new engine could be another $4,000.00 to $6,000.00. The entire cost of the repair could be more than the truck is worth. When I asked the service manager how he knew what was wrong with the truck without even looking at it, he replied that he's seen so many of these trucks with the same problem, he's lost count. He said I should consider myself lucky because I had an earlier model. He had a 2008 truck in the repair bay that was costing the owner $6,000.00. I asked him to call the Ford rep. He said he didn't have to. He knew the guidelines and Ford wouldn't pay. I asked again if he could just contact Ford because I had an extended warranty. The service manager refused. I'm considering driving my mother's 1995 Honda, which has never required a new fuel tank in fourteen years, to Ford headquarters in Detroit with big letters saying, "No Ford Bailout." Why should I have to pay Ford twice for their problem and a third time with my hard earned money to pay for a bailout so they can keep making the same defective product? Is it me? Does this make sense to anyone? Is anyone paying attention? Does anyone else want to drive to Detroit?

Kathie

Kathie Hutson
- Gettysburg, Pennsylvania

This is in response to my Jan 7th 09 post: I received a phone call today from Ford and they refused to pay. They blamed the fuel. I asked for this in writing and they refused even though my car is under an extended warranty.
They refused to state in writing what the problem is!
Here is my course of action
1. bleed Ford of money.
file a small claim case. if you win, the problem is solved, if you lose then you can refile in a regular court. It is perfectly legal to take the same case to small claims court and later into a municipal etc court. Ford will have to provide a lawyer in both venues and cost them well above the price of the repair. Threaten to do the same to the dealer. They will have to provide a lawyer too.
2. Fill a complaint with the BBB. This works better against dealers then Ford but anything to raise the pressure on Ford
3. Log a complaint with NHTSA.GOV
4. Require a written letter from Ford detailing the reasons for the failure. Diesel providers will hopefully get involved at that point once Ford places the blame on another industry.
email me with information - I have a lawyer who has agreed to get involved (he took on Nokia and won)

put FORD in the title.

Kevin Ford
- Dallas Texas

I've got 2-2007 Ford LCFs. I've had both right at 2 years. One has been GREAT and has about 75,000 miles on it. The other has been nothing but trouble this time of year. Dec 07 thru Jan 08 we had to replace about 20 injectors and a couple fuel pumps, etc. Around Feb 08 I thought things were fixed. Then in December I started having troubles again....same thing as last year! In 6 weeks this truck has broke down 5 times and then been in the shop anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks each time.

I've lost count of the injectors replaced this year but it's 10-15 already as well as a new fuel pump and several other things that I'm not tech savvy enough to remember or repeat. After taking 2 weeks for the last repair we got the truck back on Monday. Yesterday, 2 days later we drove the truck for the first time and it broke down 3 hrs away before my driver even got to his first stop for the day. I am fed up!

This has cost me thousands in truck rentals and overtime for drivers, not to mention MY TIME running back and forth and dealing with all of this.

I'm furious right now and don't know what to do. I do not know if this is related to the problems everyone else is having but they have been blaming it on fuel. Ironically, both of these exact same trucks is filled up with the same fuel, every day, same time, same station, etc. 1 has the problems, the other does NOT! I've been lucky that it has all been covered under warranty but the extra money and time has just been ridiculous!

Any help?

Kory Brink
- Mount Olive, Illinois

Sometimes you just get lucky. When my 2002 F-250 diesel was new, I replaced the tank with a Transfer-Flow 48 gallon unit in prep for a trip to Alaska.
After 131,000 miles I'm sure I'd be in the same "tank" as everyone else, otherwise.

Don Jacobs
- Woodbine, Maryland

S
U
B
A
R
U

sidebar S
U
B
A
R
U

This is a followup to my post of July 21, 2008, regarding regular gasoline fuel tank lining deterioration on a 1987 Subaru DL wagon.

Following complete steam-cleaning of the fuel tank and replacement of the fuel filter in the fall of 2008, at a cost of $600+, the fuel starvation symptoms which appeared once the vehicle was in motion -- bucking and kicking especially during high fuel demand at high speeds or going up hills -- disappeared completely and have not reappeared.

Two months later, the fuel filter was replaced and I carefully examined the old filter unit's contents in the gasoline. There was a little water, and a few tiny particles of brown stuff -- absolutely none of the silver-gray particles which had clogged it earlier from flaking off of the aluminum plating on the tank interior. I try to keep the tank full to minimize interior rust, and it runs beautifully at 111,000 miles. As a precaution I will again replace the fuel filter and examine its contents, in a week or so.

Why do some vehicles of identical make/model experience failure of the aluminum fuel tank lining, and some do not?
Some of the articles I found during research suggest that an initial crack in the lining -- which allows the formic acid in gasoline and diesel to start creeping corrosion between the aluminum and the carbon steel -- can originate from long and heavy use (my Subarus were 1987 and 1983), or a blow to the fuel tank (from a traffic accident, or possibly by running over a solid object which impacts the fuel tank). Once the crack starts, failure of the lining is inevitable, though the speed at which the aluminum flakes off depends on temperature, use of the vehicle, type of fuel and so on.

As a very general precaution to all motor vehicle owners, it wouldn't hurt to replace the fuel filter every 2 or 3 years, and carefully examine the old fuel filter unit for signs of fuel contamination. You will have to ask the mechanic EXPLICITLY to save and give you the old filter unit. Otherwise they will toss it in the trash.

Aluminum is just more brittle than zinc, and is I think more likely to fail. Zinc is more costly than aluminum and I don't see automakers going back to it for fuel tank plating.

I hope this helps some of you in understanding these failures. Not much I can do to help you with warranty claims, I'm afraid.

Paul Todd
- Anchorage, Alaska

I am currently going through the same problem. My F350 Box truck stalled in traffic. When towed to the dealer, I was given the same excuse that there was rust in the fuel tank and that it was my fault. It also needs fuel filters, etc. because of the delamination of the fuel tank. I was told the same story that I purchased bad gas, and that the delamination was "above the fill line" in the tank (they must have x-ray vision). I purchased an extended warranty from Stevens Ford in Patchogue, NY when I bought the vehicle. Then when this problem occurred they said "it is not covered under the warranty." Thank God for the internet. After reading all the complaints I am going to contact regarding the class action suit. I am printing all the letters on this link and bringing them to my dealer (who currently has my truck and is telling me they are "sending an inspector to look at the fuel tank"). I will also be filing a complaint at NHTSA.GOV and with the Better Business Bureau. This has to stop. We are paying to bail Ford out and this is the reason why. We are being robbed blind with this. It has to stop NOW! BOYCOTT FORD. I have been a loyal FORD customer my whole life. I will definitely never buy a FORD again if they don't own up to their mistake!

Rich Busch
- Islip, New York

Best thing I ever did was have my Ford F-150 gas tank "renu" like new. A local business in Rockville did a fantastic job and lifetime warranty so will never have any gas tank problems again. Got no action with Ford and I'm done with them.

Stephen Andrews
- Rockville, Maryland

We are going to be replacing the FOURTH tank in our 2002 Ford E350 van. Ford really needs to accept this as their responsibility! I have field a complaint with NHTSA and will be going to the BBB. I will be more than willing to join a class action lawsuit this has gotten to be a VERY expensive and time consuming problem. The gas tanks should not be doing this!

Derek FLin
- Mattituck, New York

Just went thru what you all went thru. also called to see how much it would be to recondition my old tank which I kept. the guy told me he has seen this problem a lot with ford diesel tanks. filed a complaint with nhsta. I can't find a lawyer who will do a class action, still looking! I get all my fuel from 1 station, Chevron. I also have a Dodge 2500 diesel, and run a lot of other equipment with the same fuel never have had this problem with anything but the ford. considering small claims court. I would be glad to join a class action.

Joel Groth
steel erection - Huntington Beach, California

My experience has been the problem is isolated to one particular tank model. This tank is generally on any F-Series having a number on the tank itself (YC35-9K007-F8) and is usually on any cab with flatbed, regardless of the year model. If you discover your F-Series having this tank number on a white tag attached to the tank, the first thing you need to do is have the fuel filter checked for contamination. So far, I have checked all of my fleets fuel filters for contamination, and the result is, I have had to reline three tanks and will need to have two more relined, all related to this tank number. The remaining trucks I have that have a different number have not experienced fuel filter contamination.

Ford is telling me that the fuel tank liner problem is directly related to bio-fuels greater than 5% in the diesel fuel. This response is typical when Ford does not want to replace millions of fuel tanks at their expense. I have proved this conclusion from Ford to be completely wrong, but cannot get anyone from Ford to talk to me directly.

When the fuel tank liner fails, the tank needs to be relined or replaced, the fuel pump and fuel filter needs to be replaced, and the total cost is around $2,000 to fix. I strongly suggest anyone that has Ford F-Series trucks to check all fuel filters for contamination, record the fuel tank number, and if you do discover the above problem, to call your dealership to have them report this to their Ford representative. Until this is done, Ford will assume it's bio-fuel related.

John W. Stabile
- Fort Worth, Texas

This is a follow-up of my previous post. We also have discovered two more trucks having the same problem. We have a 2005 F-550 that has two tanks. The tank number on my previous 3 trucks matches one of the two tanks YC35-9K007-F8, and the 2nd tank 5C34-9K007-RA). We also have a 2006 F-350 that has two tanks with these same tank numbers. I think the source to the problem is coming from two areas. I feel that these two tanks were not manufactured correctly that relate to recent additives in diesel fuels. The reason is, I have trucks that are 9 years old up to 3 years old, and the tank problem just started on all of these 5 trucks since last spring. There must have been a fuel additive change prior to last spring to cause this that relate to the manufacturing of these two tanks. My 2008 F-450 doesn't have either one of these tank numbers and do not show any evidence of fuel tank liner failure.

John W. Stabile
- Saginaw, Texas

I am also having this problem with my 99 E350. Please feel free to contact me with any info anyone might have on a fix, or if an additional name for a class action suit is needed.

David Dechow
- Abingdon, Illinois

have a 2006 F550 Diesel w/ 26K miles and 5 months out of warrantee. Brought it to dealer and was told the fuel tank was delaminating from the diesel we were using. Needs new pump, fuel lines, injectors blown out and cleaned..$2500. We have been using the same 2 stations for 10 years and have 2 other , older Ford trucks and no problems. This truck is only 3 years old.
I called Ford and they said they knew of it happening on trucks and blame it on the fueling stations. (Like we all fuel up at the same place) But it was up to the dealer to credit or not credit the repair.

My dealer took off $800 for the $2500 repair, but it is not his fault. His dealership did not build the trucks. I was told that it has been happening so much that if he was to fix everyone at no charge he would be out of business.

This is clearly a defect and FORD will not acknowledge it.

I was driving at 40 mph w/ a trailer when my truck bogged and died and would not start. I had to get another truck to move trailer then to move truck. Traffic was backed up for a mile. It is a Safety issue and everyone needs to contact the NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Administration) http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ and call up to file a complaint
the phone # is (888) 327-4236

These are the people who would make Ford recall the tanks due to a safety problem.

will friz
landscape contractor - manalapan, New Jersey

I am the Engineer at an Emergency Ambulance Dept. and have had 2 of my ambulances break down because of this problem. I use Shell diesel in my trucks because of fear of cheap diesel. The lining of the tanks rusted and got sucked into the entire fuel system. My cost 4100 dollars apiece for new tanks,s ending units, pumps, filters and lines. Ford is becoming less and less reliable of a chassis for me so I'm switching to GM. I'm hoping I can recover some of my money some day when the recall finally happens

ROB TOBIN
- maple shade, New Jersey

I own an '05 f-450 dump w 50,000 miles. Loses power when you try to reach speeds of 50 and above. Pulled filters found brown/gray debris in housing and stuck to filter. Raised dump body opened fuel tank found same material throughout tank. peeling from top and sides. Only use sunoco diesel fuel. Doing work myself. Looking to get paid back from ford.

Brandon Heron
masonry - Belmar, New Jersey

Ford did resolve this issue when they produced the 2008 models. The 2008 F-Series tanks are identical to the 1999-2007 F-Series, but the 2008 tanks have a different tag number than the previous years as mentioned. Until Ford makes this a recall, the only resolution you have is to upgrade to 2008 and newer F-Series.

John Stabile
- Fort Worth, Texas

I was driving on the highway after picking one F-350 up from the dealership for the third time in a 10 day period, it died on me during rush hour. Finally the dealer realized that the tank was bad and correctly fixed the problem after the injectors were replaced and a high pressure hose. Of course he charged me 1000 and blamed it on bad diesel fuel. Now I have 3 other F-350's and one Lcf all with the same fuel tank problems. All of my diesel was bought at either Shell or Exxon. I think it's time to drop the hammer down on Ford.

Kevin Kanzler
landscape contractor - Dallas, Texas

I just had my fuel tank replaced in my 2006 F-550. A few months ago when it started to run sluggishly, I took it into my mechanic and he thought someone had poured silver paint in my tank. Had to replace the filters, injectors, etc. I put a locking gas cap on and thought it was just bad luck. A few weeks ago, it did the same thing. His time he found the same silver material and found the lining inside the tank coming off. Ford is hiding behind the vehicle being out of warranty, when it is obviously a defect. I hope enough people get behind this to force Ford to acknowledge their problem and reimburse us. I'm out $1900.00 for this repair bill, and that doesn't include the first repair.

Dennis cozzetti
- Tucson, Arizona

This is a follow up to my January post. Shortly after I posted I ended up getting tough with Ford. After a couple more breakdowns after my post I finally told my dealer "congratulations, the truck is now yours". I just left it there and told them they were gonna be buying it back. It took 2 months but I finally reached an agreement with them, my dealer acting on my behalf to buy back an LCF with 120,000 miles on it. I wouldn't say I was made whole but I did get more than I would have had I sold it outright....and my problems were passed onto someone else.

Ironically the 2nd LCF had the engine blow at around 70,000 miles. I figured in 2 1/2 years I had over $100,000 of warranty work done on those 2 trucks.

Kory Brink (returning)
- Mt Olive, Illinois

Thanks, Kory. Readers should keep in mind that "lemon laws" apply regardless of anything you signed!

Dealers make you sign forms that you'll use binding arbitration, and surrender lemon law rights, etc. so that when you go back to them they can show you the contract you signed and try to mislead and intimidate you. Pay little attention, it's probably bogus!

I know this because I complained to the NJ Div. of Consumer Protection that their "lemon laws" were doing me no good because the dealer would not sell me a car without me signing a document "surrendering" my lemon law rights. NJ assured me that because the documents are contrary to public policy they have no standing. Yes, a dealer who asks you to sign it is proving his scumminess, but at least in NJ you can smile & sign because a contract contrary to public law has no legal standing :-)

The Company I work for has approximately 400 units with this fuel tank, We have replaced approximately 100-200 tanks, about 80 fuel pumps and 600 fuel injectors as a result of this fuel tank issue with the Ford diesel trucks built between 1999-2007. Ford told us it was from Biodiesel fuel, NO true. This all started when the Ultra low sulfur fuel was introduced into the market, within a few weeks the lining inside the tanks on our fleet started to come loose, clog up the fuel pickup and starve the fuel injectors leading to multiple failures. We have since started replacing the fuel tank with the "new design" from Ford and they are starting to rust from the inside thru the coating and causing clogged fuel filters now.
It has been very frustrating since Ford does not back their product.

John Product
Shop Employee - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

There is now a movement to go forward with a class action suit. Also, the NHSTA is aware that the problem with the fuel tanks are a safety issue.

Alan Karlin
- Valley Stream, New York

I just spoke to a Mr. lewis at NHTSA.GOV
He stated that there are only two(2)complaints regarding the problem at hand.
I wish that you all would get in touch with NHTSA.GOV 1-888-327-4236 AND FILE YOUR COMPLAINT

Also, there a KEVIN FORD from Dallas, Texas (january 21, 2009 on this site) who says that he has a lawyer who has agreed to get involved

My e mail addrs is

Alan Karlin
- Valley Stream, New York

2005 Ford F-450 has been just diagnosed with the same problem- flaking off of the inside of the fuel tank. Ford's response was that it is not their problem. Any recourse?

Mike Kobus
- Placerville, California

This is the second fuel tank that delaminated, Ford would not help sued last year Ford motor corp they know of problem won't do anything, replaced tank less than 1 year same issue, suing dealership small claims court this month, extended warranty cancelled because ford has truck listed as pick up not dump that it has been since purchase in 2005. please email any questions/ comments to email address , attorney is in New Jersey, have notified national safety , consumer affairs etc, no help, truck still down cannot afford second tank, losing business and home because of this situation, I carry time sensitive material have broken down 3 times in traffic no warning. can use any assistance, Ford will not help anyone it is a true disgrace.

Scott Redding
- Centereach, New York

I have a 94 E350 Box truck with 250,000 mile, 02 f250 4X4 with 155,000 miles, and 03 E350 Box truck with 58,000 miles. All 3 are 7.3 diesels. we fill all 3 at the same gas station. Only the 03 has this gas tank problem. At 42,000 the Ford dealer said he replaced the fuel tank because of rust. At 58,000 miles it quit running and the same dealer now tells us the he only steam cleaned the tank to get it to the end of the warrantee which expired at 50,000 miles. He wants $2,200 plus $400 installation to replace it. Fat Chance!

T J Hobbs
- San Antonio, Texas

We are experiencing the same with our 2000 F450 and I've heard of fleets needing new fuel tanks because of this.
There is a back order on fuel tanks as of now. So my truck sits until Ford Customer Care Solution team finds me a tank.
My truck we bought used to pull a 5th wheel has only 60,000 miles on it. Last summer we put a new fuel pump in because it was clogged.
I have put in a complaint with the NHTSA and did mention that the tanks are on back order.
There are no tanks to be had via internet searches or anything else at this point.

Beth Schwebach
- Charlotte, North Carolina

Hi - I am with a law firm that is investigating complaints about fuel tank delamination problems in certain Ford Diesel trucks/vans. If you own a Ford with diesel fuel tank problems and want to learn more about our investigation, please feel free to give us a call toll-free at (866) 981-4800 or send us an email at .

Dave

Dave Stein
- San Francisco, California, USA

UNFORTUNATELY I OWN A 2003 E-350 DIESEL VAN JUST LIKE THE SO.CAROLINA POSTING. I WAS CHARGED $970.00 BY FORD TO REPLACE A "CLOGGED INJECTOR". DROVE IT OFF THE LOT AND IT WAS STILL DOING THE SAME THING. I LATER PULLED THE GAS TANK MYSELF AND FOUND ALL OF THE ABOVE DEBRIS THAT HAS BEEN TALKED ABOUT BUT MOSTLY WHAT LOOKS LIKE SOFT PAINT CHIPS. I HAVE SINCE FOUND OUT IT IS THE LINING. FORD WONT DO ANYTHING, THEY SUCK AND I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER FORD AGAIN.

AL TASE
REMODELER - CHARLOTTE, NORTH CAROLINA, UNITED STATES

I am also a very unhappy owner of a Ford LCF Truck (96). I bought this truck brand new and I have had nothing but problems.... It is on its third engine, first blew at $18,000 miles, second at 80,000 and now on our third. From the numerous tow truck bills to rentals of trucks, this has cost me thousands and thousands of dollars. Now our newest problem is the fuel tank...as the dealer just called me it will cost $7,100 to repair...I am so fed up with Ford. I am a small business who bought this truck to make deliveries, and it is nothing but unreliable. And of course it just hit 151,000 miles..so they can't help..Glad I supported Ford an American Company...I have 2 Mitsibusi trucks...they run great with no problems.... And it really burns me up they can keep giving cars away to American Idol contestants...what about me the person that supported them.....

Amy Nicholas
- QUAKERTOWN, Pennsylvania USA

We have a 2005 F350 and are having the same problems.

I had changed the fuel filters in Feb. 2010 as routine maintenance. Our problems started in Aug. 2010 when the truck stopped running in traffic. I was able to get off the interstate and replace the filters myself and everything seemed fine. The pump filter was completely clogged with a silvery coating which at the time I attributed to a bad tank of fuel. On Oct. 19th I needed to take parts to Chicago. The truck started missing about halfway there and by the time I got to Chicago I had trouble going 50 MPH.

I found that if I pulled over every 30 miles, shut off the truck and waited 10 minutes, it would run fine for a while.

The next morning the truck would not start until I found some starter fluid. I took the truck to a ford truck garage in Chicago where to truck was diagnosed with having 5! bad injectors. Cost of repairs $2400.00. I had no complaints with the garage, they were very helpful. They did ask me when I last changed the fuel filters and I told them it was changed 2 mos. ago. In retrospect, they should have looked at/ replaced the filters. When I left Chicago two days later the truck ran fine for about 100 miles then started missing again. I was able to limp back to Pittsburgh by stopping and starting, but it was very dangerous on the interstate.

The next morning I called the Ford garage that had done the repairs to tell them the truck was doing the same thing. They told me to check the fuel filter. When I called back to tell them it was clogged again with the silver flakes and fines, They told me there has been a lot of problems with the fuel tank coating peeling off due to the new biodiesel blends. At this point I decided to take off the tank myself and found that the entire bottom of the tank was filled with these coating flakes. At this point I was beginning to get suspicious.

I called the Ford dealer where I bought the truck. The service adviser told me that the fuel tanks are never coated on diesel tanks. I did not want to argue with him so I took the fuel tank over. When he came out to look at the inside full of flakes the first thing he said was that it was not a Ford tank. When pointed to a sticker an the side that said Ford on it, he then looked back inside and asked if it was a diesel truck because he thought the fuel smelled like gas. At this point I asked to see the service manager. He told me that he was not aware of any problems and that there are no service bulletins out about this issue. I insisted that he call a field engineer at ford which he did. The response from the Ford engineer was that he was aware of the issue and that it was caused by the new bio-diesel blend. At this point I am undecided about what to do, I could buy a new fuel tank from Ford and replace filters and possibly more injectors at a cost of at least $1200 but I am concerned the new tank will do the same thing. Ford is well aware of the problem and should be contacting owners of the trucks that have these tanks to warn them of the problem and present a long term solution.

Robert Potter
- Irwin, Pennsylvania

I am now experiencing the same issue on my 2006 Ford LCF
that started at 21000 miles. I have never used bio diesel, other than the 5% biodiesel that is mostly sold here in WA State. SO far we've replaced filters 3 times, most recently today. I will call our local commercial Ford dealer and talk to them about this issue. Thanks for the
info everyone!

Jeff Detweiler
- Seattle Washington

TO all that are having this issue. After finding this site yesterday, I've been researching more on this problem with our 2006 LCF. It is a VERY, VERY widespread problem, and seems to be mainly happening with 2006 model LCF, 450, 450 and 550 Super Duty trucks. Please, please file a complaint with the National highway traffic and safety site, at http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov to try and force Ford to issue a recall on this. There are dozens and dozens of complaints listed on the site now from 2007 on. It takes about 5 minutes to file a complaint. Please have your VIN number ready, and file it under your year, Ford, your model, and Fuel system, diesel. The more of us that do this the more the NHTSA will look into it, and hopefully force a recall. Thank you

Jeff Detweiler
- Seattle, Washington USA

Everybody with bad fuel tanks: I'm not in metal finishing, however I do work with fuel cleaning and additive companies as a consultant. I stumbled onto this site today looking for an Isuzu Technical Bulletin a dealer told me referred to some tank corrosion problems with diesel and water. I have posed the question to others in the fuel industry as to whether biodiesel can act like a rust-penetrant. I've seen it crawl "up" threads of pipe right out of barrel. If you have tightly adhered rust to begin with, diesel normally won't bother it. I suspect that small amounts of methyl esters have spread across the US through the fuel transport infrastructure, so even ares that don't use it get some, and its causing one or more problems in fleets. FYI: Two years ago, gas stations across the country began complaining about ULSD causing massive rust in their underground tanks. The EPA has investigated (a little) and now the API is involved. I've had several calls, including the Isuzu dealer today. If anybody is actively having issues (these comments appear to be two years old) I'm very interested in what they have done, what additives they have tried, what dealers said, etc.

Matt Cohen
- San Pedro, California USA

I own one of these pieces of crap that Ford passed off as a work truck. So far I am into to it for app. 9000.00. fuel cell injectors and numerous filters. Ford has said that it is not responsible for this..Why Not! The liner separates then goes into the injectors and pump. If anyone knows of a civil suit please let me know because I want on that list. I also have a Chevy Duramax and no Problems with that at all. Last Ford I will buy..

Jim Furr
- The Plains Virginia

I bought 2 brand new Cab & Chassis F350 dually's in 2002 with 7.3 diesels. Once they turned 2 years old the fuel problems began! I have removed the tanks & flushed them on both trucks a few times. Replace a million filters & Fuel pumps over the years! These were my first diesel work trucks so I thought this was normal diesel maintenance! Started talking to other diesel owners around town who informed me that what I was experiencing was abnormal! I finally traded one of them in for Chevy a year ago. I still have one more truck left. I'm gonna pull the tank out this weekend & bring it to a radiator shop for a deep cleaning. In a year I will trade it in for a Chevy also. I was also a very loyal Ford owner. With millions of other diesel owners using the same fuel as I am without the trouble clearly speaks for itself! This truly is appalling & poor business ethics of FORD!

Steve Schulze
- Guilford, Connecticut, USA

My problems started on my 2005 F450 at 48k with blue smoke, skipping, stalling out.
Again at 64K, 77k, 89k, each time adjusting and cleaning injectors and finally at 100883 miles & 13 days(MAJIC # for Ford) Out of Warranty! At that time the local dealership figured out the truck needed ALL NEW INJECTORS and filters, etc., but non of which should have been replaced in the previous DOWN TIMES. Bill was $3600, of which Ford picked up $600,owner of dealership assumed $1100 after looking over the # of times the truck had been in for the same problems listed above on so many occasions. I paid $1900,that was on 01/10/10. Now 1 year later after a stall out on the expressway and near collision with a tractor trailer I find silver metal shavings in the fuel filter. I contacted the same dealership who now tells me there is a back order on the tanks due to this problem."There are so many of these trucks with bad tanks that we can't get them!" Cost could be 2k. That is if its only the tank and lines that need to be replaced. If the injectors and pumps are damaged from the delaminations of the tank the cost could be as much as 6K. THE TRUCK IS PARKED. At this time I still owe on the truck so its hard to repair and buy and the same time. It is my main transportation of work in my plumbing-utility business. I am now using my wife's Dodge minivan filled with only daily tools for use until I can get the truck repaired. Since there are no tanks available, my plan is to remove and coat the tank locally, replace all the filters that I can afford to and get on board with the rest of you for a recall down the road. Hopefully the government will give Ford enough money to pay for all of our tanks. If anyone has any thing to say to me or with me please contact me via email I do plan to issue a complaint with nhtsa.dot.gov.

One more thing to add to this problem: I have read some of the articles about Fords problems with the flakes in the fuel tank and some of the SO-CALLED ENGINEERS from Ford say these flakes are aluminum. I stuck a 3/8" pin magnet in the tank of my 2005 F450 and when removed the magnet was ovee 1" in diameter. "Sorry Engineers, NOT ALUMINUM". Try again!

Randy Griffin
- Rural Hall, North Carolina

Same problem as listed in many previous posts. If anyone has any lawsuit info I would love to join in. Emails to darius.suddreth at gmail dot com Thanks!

Darius Suddreth
- Minot, North Dakota

THE VEHICLES YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT WERE BUILT WHEN DIESEL FUEL WAS A DIFFERENT PRODUCT. THESE TANKS PASSED ALL SPECS FOR FUEL BACK THEN. DIESEL FUEL TODAY LOSES 20% OF ITS SHELF LIFE WITHIN THE FIRST 21 DAYS OF BEING REFINED AND BY LAW CAN HAVE UP 1% WATER IN THE FUEL. ADD IN THE NEW U/L SULFUR. WHICH THE SULFUR WAS THE NATURAL LUBRICANT IN THE INTERNAL ENGINE SO NOW YOU HAVE 500% INCREASE IN SCUFFING AND SCARRING IN YOUR ENGINE. THE FUEL TODAY IS SO CORROSIVE THAT IT WILL START RUSTING THE METAL ON INJECTORS AND METAL WITHIN 48 HRS. TAKE A JAR AND POUR SOME DIESEL FUEL IN IT PUT A PIECE OF METAL IN JAR AND PUT IT ON YOUR DESK OR WINDOW SILL AND WATCH IT FOR 48 HRS. WE USE A PRODUCT CALLED DIESEL-MATE FROM CERTIFIED LABS OF DALLAS. NOW NO INJECTOR PROBLEMS, TANK PROBLEMS.

WILL MOOREFIELD
- GLEN ALLEN, VIRGINIA

we've had numerous problems with our '07 Ford 350 diesel. the truck has been fully maintained. We've replaced injectors, etc. Now the dealer says we need a new tank, pump and injectors. Another $3000+. The dealer and Ford reps that we have talked to just ignore us and say it's our fault. Ford rep says he's not aware of any problems with their trucks. No more Fords for us.

Stu Phillips
- Boonville, Indiana, USA

I have an 04 ford f-350 mason dump with 38000 miles and have just removed, and had the OEM diesel fuel tank relined. Prior to this I experienced clogged fuel filters @ 2000 mi. then @ approx. 1200mi. then @ 500mi. and finally every 200 or so miles. Upon removing the 6" top cover on the fuel tank and using a bright light was able to observe the rust in the tank. The rust was greatest at the top of the interior of the tank becoming less as I looked lower toward the bottom of the tank,however it was there also. The shop I brought the tank to sounded well aware of this problem and was very confident in their relining process. (when I asked what the warranty was the owner said "as long as you own this truck". Anyway, I naturally feel this is a poorly designed fuel tank as I have 10 other pieces of construction equipment and 4 other trucks that are running the same fuel with no problems. I firmly believe Ford should be made to stand behind their products. If anyone has info about a c.a. suit I would appreciate any info. possible. I will file a complaint with the BBB, Consumer protection dept. and also my attorney general's office. Thank you, Ted kunzik
ted kunzik
kunzik excavation - seymour, Connecticut u.s.a.

I work for a shop in Waller, Texas that repairs Ford fuel tanks that have delaminated. It's a _definite problem_, but there are currently only two other choices when your tank fails - upwards of $800 for a replacement tank that may or may not fit without modifications and other parts, or one of our Renu OEM tanks. The corporate guys at Ford are still trying to figure out how to fix the issue, and that's leaving all the vehicle owners hanging.

We started sending one of our guys out to the dealerships that are not already getting tanks from us. They don't like selling our tanks, because they aren't "new" (although they were originally made by Ford), and they don't want people bringing their tanks directly to us. But a lot of them get the tanks from us anyway. The other problem is availability - currently, Ford has these tanks on infinite backorder, and that means a lot of people that can't even use their trucks.

We've been coating tanks and guaranteeing them for over 20 years with the _same_process_ , how come they can't?

David Arnold
- Waller, Texas, USA

Own a Ford f 450 2003. In 2009 with 89,000 miles had to replace fuel tank and damage. Told by Ford it was bad fuel. Had Dept of weights and Measures check fuel. No problem with fuel. Just two years later, with only an additional 11,000 miles, same thing again. Much more damage to truck due to inside lining of fuel tank corrosion. Need to replace fuel tank again and repair bills are crazy. Has anyone gotten anywhere legally or with BBB. Any suits filed, as Ford is denying any responsibility. Not sure if there's any other actions to take

Tom Mongelli
- Kinnelon, New Jersey, USA

I have 3 trucks, 2 f-350 (2001 and 2003) and 1 f450 (2002). I have had tank problems with 2; now 2001 and 2002 same thing delaminating. I live in WA: same fuel in all trucks, same station. Ford blames fuel places I would be happy to help make them toe the line.

steve cron
- Vancouver, Washington

Just replaced the tank in my 2003 Ford E350 Diesel Van. Delamination. Pics can be seen here.

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f14/ford-e350-diesel-tank-delamination-pics-289174/

If you do drop your tank or replace your tank you absolutely must get rid of the white fuel mixer/strainer (google Guzzle hutch mod) and you must then add pre pump filtration or take the strainer/mixer apart and clean the 2 internal screens before putting it all back together. OR you will eventually have fuel starvation clogging problems again.

My screens were so clogged I am surprised my van even ran.

The symptoms were bucking, shaking, loss of power, couldn't drive over 10 MPH, felt like tires were way out of alignment under a load on the highway, stalling, rough idle, etc....

What a joke. The pictures tell all. Defective tank/lining causing all this.

Chris R
- Portland, Oregon

44280-1  44280-2  44280-3  44280-4  44280-5  44280-6

Chris R
- Portland, Oregon

Sorry I need to clarify the above statement.

If you or the dealer replaces the fuel tank, it's not enough to JUST replace the tank and go on your way. You must also take apart the mixer/strainer (white plastic thing inside the tank) and clean out the screens inside it. My screens were completely packed w/ debris and had I left it in there or not cleaned the screens then it would eventually lead me to the same symptoms of starving for fuel. OR just do the Hutch mod and add pre fuel pump filtration and be done with it.

Hope that clarifies the above.

Chris R
- Portland, Oregon

I have been reading the comments about the fuel tank problems with Ford trucks and was wondering if anybody has been having the same problems with 2005 International diesel tanks. I am on my 3d set of tanks and have had the turbo rebuilt several times.

Kurt Lambert
- Greenwoo, Indiana

We have a 2006 Ford LCF and have had a multitude of issues mostly around the fuel pump. The truck has less that 68,000 miles and has been down 7 times for repair. Recently down for almost 60 days because I refused to spend another $5-$600 fixing the same thing as we had done 6 times earlier. I contacted FORD Corp. wanting them to do a 'buy back' but 50 days later got a very polite 'NO', extremely frustrated and owning a vehicle that will be future headache we want to join anyone's lawsuit to push FORD to at the very least do a recall for commercial vehicles with same issue as the F-150's which they have a recall on. Oh, anyone had AC issues on this vehicle too, it is also defective.

Dawn Van Eps
Small business - Denver, Colorado

I've had to replace the tank on one of my Ford 2002 E-350 diesel van 3 times along with the fuel pump and fuel injectors. The lining inside the tank breaks down and causes complete loss of power. Ford does not have a solution for this problem that cost over $1000.00 for a temporary solution as it usually last 2.5 to 3 years. This is a safety issue that Ford is ignoring. I'm filing a report with the US DOT NHTSA.

Jay Blue
- McLean, Virginia, USA

I have a 2004 F550 diesel with a drill rig mounted on it. Dec 2010 broke down on I95 in south Florida at night. It cost over $2000 for fuel pump, filters, injectors, etc. This December, quit again. Tank was rusted, had to be replaced along with everything else. Over $3200 to fix it this time. I'm filing complaints also. Not only is it the cost to fix these trucks, but also the down time. We have always bought Fords but we had problems with a 2003 F250 and 2005 F250. We replaced them with a Chevy and a Toyota. It appears Ford blew it on their 2000 year trucks.

Judy Koltunski
- De Leon Springs, Florida

FUEL FORMULA? - I have two vehicles that are experiencing the same tank problems. A 1989 F450 7.3 diesel and a 2001 F350 7.3 turbo diesel. Amazingly, neither vehicle had these issues until after the diesel fuel was reformulated by the refiners for low sulfur content. I believe this reformulation occurred around 2007. That's 22 years of trouble-free service for the 1989 and 10 years for the 2001. The only variable that has changed is the fuel itself. We have fleet accounts so we use Shell and Exxon exclusively. Whether the problem is Ford's tank lining or the fuel reformulation, or a combination of the two, it is unacceptable.

Jim Aarons
- Matthews, North Carolina

I posted back in September 2008 and things have gotten worse, I run a fleet of thirty intermediate trucks. Twenty Fords, Four International and six GM/Isuzu. They all run on the same fuel from the two gas stations that we use. The only vehicles that have a fuel tank problem are the fords 2000 and up. We have older ford 2-99s, 1-96 and 1-94 that are more reliable than the 2006s. Just like everyone else, we start by replacing the costly injectors that the ford computer points its finger to. Then you continue with all the other repairs before you realize its the tank again. We thought it couldn't continue happening year after year with the newer truck purchases but it looks like Ford never cared to make the changes or they would accept fault in their design.

George Li
- Rocky Hill, Connecticut

I am having the same issue. My tank has a coating that is coming off. It is a 2005 F350 and it has ruined 5 injectors and a pump. Total cost is $5000 and I am not under warranty. I have 139,000 miles on it and I want to get in on the lawsuit as well. My truck carries a backhoe at 65 mph and if it totally quits at that speed I will lose brakes and power steering. With a total weight of 35,000 lbs I am sure it will wipe out 6 or 7 cars and no telling how many people would die. I don't have enough insurance for all that. I think the lawsuit should include the diesel companies that keep adding more and more crap to our fuel.

Mike Maxwell
- Bentonville, Arkansas, USA

I have a 2005 F350 & a 96 International 4700 both are having fuel tank problems we run 8 diesel trucks .We have had fuel & tank problems with 3 or 4 of my fleet. It seems to always to be fuel or rust in tanks. The 2005 F350 is going to be cleaned out and a new liner put in at a cost of $350.00 to $400.00 dollars out of my pocket in these tuff times that no one can afford, but FORD will NOT HELP us out.

Dennis Reece
- Canton Georgia

See what happens when the paint degrades on the inside of a diesel fuel tank:

44219-7  44219-8  44219-9  44219-10

Since 2002 I have never once put a fuel additive in the tank.

After my 8-15-12 uphill power loss driving back from Idaho to Sacramento, after I was towed back to Sacramento I did put some "Kleen" performance product in the tank in a fit of magical thinking to see if I could stop the white smoking and missing which I have been advised is likely one or more cracked injector nozzles or failed o-rings resulting from injector overheating caused by fuel starvation. I am sure that the 10 minutes of idling I did with that Kleen stuff in the tank did not make the paint come off and that the paint in the fuel caused the fuel starvation with resulting uphill power loss - and who knows what else...

Dear Ford: I would rather have my tank rust out than ruin my injectors from your failing inside-the-tank paint job.

Tim Hodgson
- Sacramento, California

Fifteen dollar repair for Ford Delamination tank repair. My father has taken out both filter screens inside the suction tubes inside the fuel tank.

44219-11  44219-12

44219-13  44219-14

These are micro-screen filters that are inside the plastic fuel suction tubes inside the tank. This is not the outer suction screen! These are THE filters that plug up when your truck stops running.

He also took some fine aluminum screen and made a big ball around the original pickup screen and tied it with a piece of copper wire to ensure it didn't get plugged by the silver flakes. That only ensures you get fuel up the fuel tube into the fuel line Before the pump (located under the cab-not in the tank). You HAVE TO add an inline filter BEFORE the pump.

44219-15  44219-16

He used a clear filter that is twelve bucks With hose and four clamps! This setup Works. No problems. And if and when the new filter needs to be replaced it is easily removed from under the truck (not inside the tank pickup line). I hope my pictures are helpful. Good luck.

Byron Curtis
- Reno Nevada united states

I own an ambulance service with a fleet of Ford E350 power stroke diesels. I can't begin to tell you how much I've spent, let alone down time, due to Ford's diesel fuel tanks peeling a silver sludge material resulting in clogged fuel lines. Our oldest and last 2003 ambulance recently cost over $5,000.00 due to Ford's incompetence. Fuel pumps, filters, lines then draining and dropping the tanks. A few tank fills and the same problem all over again!

Ford blames everyone but themselves for their defective product! It's completely their fault. If I had time on my hands, I'd file small claims against Ford so they too can spend money on attorney fee's since they can't represent themselves as corporation in a court of law. Don't waste your time with Fords warranty dept. because time is money, and it's not worth added stress.

Sandy Schweighardt
- Tinton Falls, New Jersey

Q. What ever happened to the Galo Coba V Ford Motor Company submitted 3/14/2012 in the US District Court of New Jersey. This Case concerns itself with 1999 - 2008 Ford Diesel Trucks with certain fuel tank problems among others. Does anyone have any current information?

FJ Chuck Palumbo
- Port Townsend, Washington, USA

Q. 1995 Ford F350 cab and a half... took out Fuel filter housing. Silver liquid in bottom... took to a truck repair shop. Told me it was lining of the fuel tanks. Now I found this site and find this is a huge problem that many people have. I know Ford must know about this and I would like to know if it is their problem and they should fix it. This is extremely expensive and I want to know if they will fix the problem. Still have the housing out with the stuff in it. HELP

Sonja Olson
Farm truck - Alpharetta, Georgia

A. Hi Sonja. 2013-1995 = 8 years old. I doubt that Ford will do anything for you.

thumbsdownI have a 2006 LCF with the same problems. I have a receipt back from 4-2009 where the tank was cleaned out and coated and injectors needed to be replaced with 61262 miles on the truck. Fought Ford to change on their expense and said NO at first, not until I got in writing from one of the Managers at a Ford dealership that there was rust in the fuel tank did Ford agree to re-coat it. Last year spent 20K on a new motor and now looks like we have fuel tank and injector problems again. We started having trouble with this truck three months after buying the truck with multiple problems. I am a small business that can't afford these costly expenses. I am out about 60K on this truck for repairs and rentals. I am going to make a complaint and would love to join a class action law suit. I am exhausted and don't have the strength to fight Ford anymore.

Antoinette Cadow
- Kenner, Louisiana

thumbsdownJust Had this problem with my 99 E350 for the THIRD time in last 5 or so years but first time mechanic mentioned "delaminating". Have spent over $2500 so far on these repairs, and, although the symptoms were described, the cause was just stated last week. Am filing a complaint with NHTSA, and am going to try to join any class action suits I can find.

Dave Maslanka
- Bonita Springs, Florida, USA

DAVE
PLEASE CONTACT ME REGARDING YOUR SITUATION
THERE IS A "CLASS ACTION" PROCEEDING.

ALAN KARLIN <DAHLIASGALORE@AOL.COM>
- VALLEY STREAM, NEW YORK U.S.A.

----
Ed. note: Finishing.com has no idea who Alan Karlin in; we simply publish this posting like the others.

1     2     3