My $16,000 engagement ring is turning my finger green "help"

++++++

Q. I have a 14k gold diamond engagement ring, I have tried clear nail polish but it only lasts a couple of days. At first the green was only a little, now its all the time. I had this problem in the past with a gold pendant and the clear nail polish worked. Probably because it did not rub as much as the ring does and did not get wet as often as hands do. I wanted to know if anyone has tried to switch to white gold and if they still have the problem.. Silver does not seem to turn green on me. Thanks in advance for any suggestions other than clear nail polish...

Stacey Pilla
administrative assistant - Newmarket, Ontario, Canada

++++++

A. It sounds like you got a 14K gold where the alloy material was mostly copper.
The ring was not cheap, so the store that you bought it from made a bundle on it. Talk to them about having it reset in a gold with far less copper in it.
If you search this site, you will find that a lot of unhappy people were sold yellow gold that was rhodium plated. If you go the white gold route, tell them that you want a certified assay of the white gold and it has to be one that is cut with platinum. It will cost more, but it is great. You might get by with one that is cut with cobalt which is much harder, so should wear better.
If you do not mind white gold color, you could have it plated with rhodium for a few dollars. It will last from a couple of months to a year before needing replating.
You might want to take it to a jeweler that makes his own settings, where I think you might get a better and thicker plating job.

+++++++

Q. When I'm stressed and only when I'm stressed, all my gold rings turn my fingers green. My rings are from all over the world Dubai, Kosovo, Canada, some of them are very expensive and some are not, but they all turn my fingers green when I'm under stress. Does anyone know why this is happening?

Christina Wallis
Retail - Canada

+++++++

! My white gold ring does the same! I have heard it means you are not eating enough iron, but I don't know.

Cindy Parker
- Boise, Idaho, USA

+++++++

A. Pure gold, known as 24 Karat gold, is very soft and has poor wear resistance, so to harden it jewelers add different amounts of other metals such as copper, nickel, silver etc. The more "other metal" they add, the harder it becomes, but it also becomes less pure and cheaper. It will also change the colour of the gold. Pure gold is a "golden" colour and this cannot be changed - it is a simple fact of nature. Gold that is not "gold coloured" is not pure gold - fact. Anyway, the presence of other metals will affect how the jeweler's metal reacts on the skin. Luckily most people do not react adversely to most metals, but some do. The most common problem is with nickel and this can cause "nickel itch", which is a type of dermatitis. In an extreme case this can become a severe allergy and has been widely discussed on this site. Anyway, the way this happens is by the secretions from the skin attacking the metal or metal alloy.

The most common secretion is sweat (aka "perspiration" or "glowing") and this contains a myriad of chemical such as salt (sodium chloride) and acids such as lactic acid - it is these, and other, chemicals that make sweat smell the way it does. Unfortunately when the sweat attacks the metal, it dissolves it to give new soluble chemicals, many of which are coloured. in the case of copper, the colour is usually green or blue, whilst nickel will give green colours. This is why your skin turns a different colour - it is due to the dissolved metal salts being absorbed onto the skin. Unfortunately, sweating is increased when people are under stress; this can be caused by numerous factors such as anxiety or physical exercise. Consequently, stress causes sweat, causes colours....

+++++++

A. Pure gold is 24 carat. 14 carat gold contains only 14/24 gold.That is - not much more than half.
I do not believe that Canada and certainly not USA have a hallmarking system. You only have the jeweler's word that it contains even that much.
The weight of an average ring is less than 10 grammes so the gold content is about 5 g with a current value of about £25 or $60 Canadian.
To be worth $16000 that must be some diamond!
If you want to spend that sort of money on a ring, consider spending some of it on a cheap flight to UK. We have had a hallmarking system since 1327. Every piece of jewelry offered for sale must be assayed and marked with the makers name, assay office, date and purity.
Until 1773 the penalty for selling gold at less than the marked purity was death. Sadly, it is now only 10 years- standards are falling! We would also expect a quality ring to be 18 carat.

sidebar +++++++

Geoff, I'm not sure where you get your conversion rates, but I will willingly trade US dollars to Canadian dollars using your rates! The current dollar exchange rate against sterling is 1.92 and 2.27 (US and Canadian) to the pound. Or is gold much cheaper in the US than in Canada!

+++++++

Trevor

I used XE.com and converted £25 (GBP)to $56.7 Canadian and was guilty of a little rounding up for simplicity. The £5/g of gold is also an approximation. I know there are two price fixes each day on the LME (London Metal Exchange). I used to plate about 50 Kg per year of the stuff.

Where did you find a reference to US $ ?

I'm not sure this [the cost conversion factors] helps the lady with the green finger.

+++++++

thumbsup2I think Trevor did a great job in describing gold alloys and the effects on the skin. I think his response should be well regarded and respected by readers on this site. If I had posted the inquiry, I would have been grateful that someone had taken that much time to help!

Process Engineer - Syracuse, New York

+++++++

... Just wanted to follow up, I appreciate everyone's responses I have printed all your responses and I am taking it to the jeweller who made my $16,000.00 GREEN FINGER TURNING RING so frustrating as I can wear silver and stainless steel and my finger does not change in colour. I have recently used Witch Craft clear nail polish that seems to give the longest wear before the colour reappears on my finger lasts about two weeks.
For Valentine's Day I received a Silver Bracelet instead of gold as my boyfriend is playing it safe. I will let you all know how it turns out at the jeweller in the next little while. Thanks again.

Stacey Pilla [returning]
- Newmarket, Ontario, Canada

+++++++

Q. I think that there is another problem. I just found this site because I am looking for answers for a friend. She has a white gold engagement ring that she has been wearing for 30 years without a problem and, on the other hand,a yellow gold set that she has also worn on a daily basis for decades. Just in the past month or so both have begun to turn her fingers green--which never happened before.

There is no question both are quality rings.

I have never heard of this happening to anyone else before.

Buffie Griesel
- Loveland, Colorado, USA

+++++++

Q. Hi there. We purchased a 600.00 diamond chip ring from a outlet store. It is not marked 10,12,14,18, or 24 kt on the inside of the ring. It is turning my ring finger, and the pinky next to it green. I have not had this problem in the past. Isn't it law that solid gold rings, have to be marked? I have worn 10k gold rings before, and this has never happened, this is why I worry! Please help me with advice on this! Thank you in advance!

Carrie Wray
- Springfield, Oregon, United States

A. YES! Gold has to be hallmarked by LAW in the USA. 10k, 14k etc. If your ring is not marked, it is likely gold plate which can be sold and marked as a "gold ring". ALWAYS look for the hallmark!

Grace Face
- Providence, Rhode Island, USA

A. I have no idea how true this is... but a friend of mine used to have the same problem with her fingers turning green from her gold rings, she found out that it had to do with her being anemic.

Teresa Berry
- Haskell, Oklahoma USA

A. It could be fake. Real gold and silver should not do this to your skin. A mineral deficiency, such as iron, could not be the cause of this. Having a mineral deficiency such as iron will cause a craving for ice.

Dr. Kayla Hernandez
- Houston Texas USA