Remove protective paper from Plexiglass

++++++

Q. How to remove paper backing from Plexigass.

Vincent Ddeleted
Consumer - Columbia, Illinois

Ed. note: This inquiry was repetitive of a previous one, so it went unanswered for a while -- then people treated it lightheartedly. For serious answers please see letter 10068.

++++++

Hi Vincent,

Why don't you go to a 'supplier' and ask them? Surely there are LOTS of suppliers of acrylic sheets. Try Cadillac Plastics, for instance.

Maybe, highly possibly, your sheets are OLD. Because when we used to use acrylics, the paper came off easily.

freeman newton portrait Freeman Newton
- White Rock, British Columbia, Canada

freeman newton died

++++++

Does Cad Plastics have a model 60iQ carbon based LF plexiglass backing paper remover? I might need one with the left and right 10 digit pincher-grip feature.

Sheldon Taylor
   supply chain electronics
Wake Forest, North Carolina

First of two simultaneous responses -- ++++++

Ohhkay, ohhkay. I'm sure that Vincent's problem is that the darned paper won't peel off, due to some interaction with the plexiglass. Maybe a prankster stuck it back with crazy glue, or maybe the plastic is just years old. But, since the answer to his problem isn't duct tape, and it isn't a hammer, what else could it possibly be but to spray it with WD-40amazoninfo? As far as I know, there is no 4th universal fixit.

Second of two simultaneous responses -- ++++++

A tricky one, this.
Try hooking a finger nail under the edge of the paper and peel. This is the most advanced technology I have seen applied to this problem.

++++++

Wotcher Sheldon,

Your solution using the latest U.S. technology is mighty interesting . . . this you got from the University of Ozarks Advanced Research Dept., I believe. It amazes me why they gave it to you.

Mind you, Geoff Smith's idea is a novel one, I hadn't thought of that, had you? Is it patented?

Ted's suggestion of using WD 40 might well work, it sure did help my zippers.

Freeman Newton
- White Rock, British Columbia, Canada

++++++

I worked for a company that used plexiglass and cut 4'x 8'sheets to different sizes and then peeled the paper by using a tube to start the paper and then roll the tube across the paper lifting the paper from the plastic' after first paper was on tube then the tacky side would be exposed and attatch to the next paper and lift it off. worked really well.

Dale Healey
metal cleaning - Muscatine, Iowa

++++++

Freeman, it looks like Geoff and Dale are the winners, they were able to help out ol' Vinny, he sure didn't get any benefit from the Ozarks or Canaduh, eh? :-)

Sheldon Taylor
   supply chain electronics
Wake Forest, North Carolina

++++++

Please don't poke or prod the Canadians :-)

++++++

Dear Sheldon,

HISTORY LESSON .... The War of Independance ... which your books say, wrongly, that it was between England and the USA.

At that time, the population of the USA was 50% English, hence that war was between England and English settlers....
I just wish to hell you'd correct your history books ! But the positive side was that at least you speak and write in English.... well, sometimes!

Freeman Newton
- White Rock, British Columbia, Canada

++++++

Wot? wot?, I didn't catch the meaning of that Freeman, maybe you can type a little slower for me.

Sheldon Taylor
   supply chain electronics
Wake Forest, North Carolina

++++++

Vincent,

The answer to removing 'stuck' paper to the Acrylic sheets is to use Methyl Hydrate ... this was according to a supplier.

You can drink it, too, but I believe it causes problems.

Freeman Newton
- White Rock, British Columbia, Canada

+++++++

I gave the stripping problem my best shot, but now I am puzzled by Freeman's Methyl Hydrate. I have not heard of it and it does not seem a likely chemical. If this is a local name for methanol, you certainly can drink it and confirm that it sends you blind, mad and dead in that order!
By the way, your War of independence was a great victory of the English settlers over a German King ... but who am I to argue with Hollywood?

+++++++

I'm puzzled by 90 percent of what Freeman writes, Geoff. The words "sequitur" and "Freeman" can't seem to peacefully co-exist :-)

But for the second time, please don't poke or prod  :-)

+++++++

Dammit,

I sure liked Geoff Smith's reply ... an educated one, too !
But these days Hollywood is being overtaken by Bollywood, goodness, gracious me !

Yes, Sheldon, go and have a bucketful of Methanol, it would sure improve your English and might improve your appearance, too.

But that suggestion of Methanol was bona fides ... I got it from the horse's mouth and not, as Sheldon might think, from t'other end !

freeman newton portrait Freeman Newton
- White Rock, British Columbia, Canada

freeman newton died

Actually I learned and enjoy speaking American in spite of what our neighbors to the north think.

David Davison
- White River Junction, Vermont

HOT WATER removes the paper and glue immediately :)

Carrie Maurer
- Kansas City, Kansas USA