The finishing.com Hotline -- Serious Education ... plus the most fun you can have in metal finishing

Choosing between Galvanized Landscape Spikes

++++++

I am installing a brick paver sidewalk and was told to use 8 inch galvanized landscape spikes to secure the plastic edging. The spikes sold at the landscape store are bright, shiny, and smooth but I can also get a spike at the Home Depot that is dull, gray, and not perfectly smooth. Both products say they are galvanized, but neither says how or what the Zinc content is. So I would like to know if, generally speaking, it is possible
to say that dull, gray, not smooth galvanized products will outlast shiny, smooth products. Since these spikes are going to be in the ground "forever" I want to make sure I get the best galvanized product for the job.

Any help anyone can offer would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Michael Milani
Do-it-Yourselfer - Elmhurst, Illinois, USA

++++++

I would be very confident that the dull grainy ones have much more zinc on them and will last significantly longer.

Ted Mooney