The finishing.com Hotline -- Serious Education ... plus the most fun you can have in metal finishing

Removing Concrete from Metal

++++++

I'm the owner of a small horse farm and found the need to purchase a skid steer loader to clean out stalls and the barns. Looking at the prices for new equipment forced me to look at used items, I found a fair deal at a local tool rental company and made the purchase. I'm happy with the item but, in it's previous life it was at a concrete plant. I've managed to pressure wash most of it off, but have areas which have a coating 1/16 inch thick or more. Is there some product which may help loosen the adhesive bond between the concrete and painted steel, or better yet dissolve the coating so they can wash off?

Marlin Gross
- Thurmont, Maryland

++++++ muriatic acidamazoninfoshould dissolve concrete spots pretty quickly. But it is dangerous (do it outside and with full protective equipment) and corrosive (don't let either the fumes or the remains attack anything else).

Ted Mooney

++++++

Additionally muriatic acid will eat all the oxides from the metal making it rust up pretty quick after clearing out the concrete, a cheaper method would be a needle gun (you said you had this from a tool rental place, they may have one). Commonly a needle gun is used to strip epoxy paint from steel hulled ships and such.
Should run through your concrete like nothing.

Marc Banks
Blacksmith - Shawboro, North Carolina

(2007)

I'm a truck mixer driver. concrete build up within the mixer drum is a constant occurrence. I find the best way is with a mini breaker 10 kg and manual work breaking it a foot at a time I currently remove it for other mixer drivers for £100 a tonne and believe me they cue up for it done as its hard work so if anyone can find an easier way please let me know as I would welcome any ideas for an easy time , getting old lol. a scale gun is ok for little build up but in large areas it would take for ever.

Daniel Bailey
Driver Cover UK - UK

(2007)

Sorry misread letter thought you meant 1 to 16 inches of concrete hydrochloric acid watered down with soap a brush away ,

Daniel Bailey
Driver Cover UK - UK

There is a a company in the UK called ALBE Solutions that manufacture a liquid concrete remover..

ian poole
- Birmingham, UK