-- The Home Page of the Finishing Industry

The Hotline: Serious Education ... plus the most fun you can have in metal finishing. Ted Mooney, Webmaster

What reaction occurs with white gold and hydrogen peroxide?

Is it harmful over time to clean white gold with hydrogen peroxide [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] ? If I soak my white gold wedding ring in hydrogen peroxide for a few minutes every few months will it result in damage to the finish in the long run?

Adrianna Frick
N/A - Concord, California, USA

Hi Adrianna,
A 2% (store bought) solution should not hurt white gold. I like to use rubbing alcohol or warm sudsy water followed with a rinse and Chamois [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] cloth dry. Try to avoid any exposure with chlorine (swimming pools, hot tubs, cleaning with bleach). Good luck!

process engineer - Malone, New York

Hi, I wore my engagement ring, which is yellow gold with a diamond set in white gold, when I went swimming. Some, but not all, of the "white gold" section has gone almost black/ dark silver. Can white gold have this reaction or has the jeweller just encased the diamond in silver?
Your response would be most appreciated.

Nicole Sablyak
Merck - Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Although gold is very chemically resistant, rings are not made of 24K gold, but of an alloy that is about 50 percent gold and 50 percent something else (copper, nickel, palladium, etc.). Pure water probably wouldn't discolor gold, but disinfecting chemicals can. Look at some silver flatware and you may be able to see the difference in the "look" of silver compared to other metals.

Ted Mooney,

©1995-2015     -    Privacy    -    Search