I want to sand and prime my car properly. How do I do that?

++++++

I am in grade 12 and I have just bought a 1964 Malibu 4 door with a 283 V8, and I am restoring it. I am new to this and I would like to know how to properly sand and prime my car in my garage with out damaging the body?

Ray N.
student - Parksville, British Columbia

++++++

The first thing you should do purchase a good wax and grease remover. Use this before sanding. A common mistake made by non professionals is to just start sanding. Sanding before proper surface prep will embed surface waxes and grease into the paint left on the vehicle. This causes poor paint adhesion when refinishing.
Use a good primer/sealer/surfacer.

Good luck with your project!

Thomas Luniewski
- MPLS, Minnesota

+++++++

I own a 1986 Olds Delta 88 and I'm wanting to repaint it I'm in the ninth grade. I want to know what to use to remove the wax and oil, what grit sandpaper and is there a certain way to sand, and when sanding do I have to take it to bare melt and can I use rattlecan primer and still use car paint.
thank you for your help

Billy James L.
hobbyist - Flintstone, Georgia

Wax & Grease Remover

+++++++

My white paint on my car was peeling so I sprayed gray rattle can primer on it. How do I take the primer back off.

Niesha Ferguson
auto paint - Valdosta, Georgia

Hi, Niesha. Aircraft stripperamazoninfo will remove almost all paints, but it is really noxious stuff to be used only with gogglesamazoninfo, protective glovesamazoninfo and excellent ventilation. Good luck.

I'm wondering how I can sand my Neon . like what kinda sandpaper and what is best wet sanding or dry sanding ... let me know asap thank you for your time

Chris simpson
student - Leamingtion, Ontario, Canada

You need to use dry sandpaper and make sure yours is not wet in the spot(s) you are painting. I just painted the spoiler of my car a really pretty red and it turned out great! tho I had my dad give me a few pointers on how I needed to. I would have someone who's painted their car before and had it turn out well spot you to make sure you are doing it right:) have fun!

Ashlyn Andrews
- Palm Bay, Florida

I have a 96 chevrolet blazer. The hood is green. I want to know if I prime the hood, what should I use. And if I can leave it, without painting.

Jonathan Watts
hobbyist - Lincoln, Arkansas, Washington