The finishing.com Hotline -- Serious Education ... plus the most fun you can have in metal finishing

Bleach and C.L.R. accidentally mixed

++++++

Q. I accidentally mixed bleach with C.L.R., and I realized this can't be good, I did breathe some in and was wondering what my concerns should be?

Saverio Portolesi
T.J industries - hamilton, Ontario, Canada

++++++

A. If you feel fine, I think your first concern should be to not do it again, and to tell family and friends not to do it, Saverio. If you want to go to the doctor about it, do so. If I felt fine I probably wouldn't go to the doctor, but that's just the personal philosophy of an individual who you never met and might not trust if you did; it's not medical advice. Clearly a phone call to the doctor's office is the prudent thing.

Q. Hey, I just did the same thing and now my throat is sore. As soon as they mixed my sinuses were flooded with a burning sensation. Did the feeling go away on its own or are you still suffering? I mean, WOW, I thought I was under a biological weapons attack or something; the second they mixed I was completely overwhelmed with a burning sensation in my throat, lungs, and nose. Did things work out for you? My throat doesn't feel right and I don't have money for doctors. Lesson learned though. Anyway, please post an update as to what happened. Thanks.

Adam Smith
- NY, New York

thumbsdownPlease don't try to judge your medical situation by the effects of the fumes on someone else, Adam, whose body is not only different but who also may have received a far smaller dose. Chlorine gas and OCl-'s are extremely bad for you, and you clearly should call your doctor.

pic of Ted Mooney   Teds signature

Q. So if my daughter mixed these while cleaning and her side hurts when breathing...
... is there something to do at home to counteract the chemical?

Deborah Eldred
- Mebane North Carolina usa

A. Hi Deborah. The bleach or C.L.R. bottle might have "emergency" procedures but, even if so, those are designed to immediately counteract the action of the chemical in the first few seconds or minutes, not to treat the patient. Neither readers here nor preprinted instructions can offer medical advice. You should definitely call your doctor's office and let the nurse who answers the phone tell you whether the doctor wants to see her or not. Best of luck.

pic of Ted Mooney   Teds signature