How to remove chrome plating peeling off of rims!

adv.   Metalx nickel stripper

++++++

Q. I have recently been given some rims that the chrome plating on the Aluminum rims is peeling off. I am wondering if there is another way other than muriatic acidamazoninfo which eats the aluminum. I have tested this on a chrome plated thermostat housing and the results were not good. First it wasn't long enough in the acid then I tried it again after cleaning it off then I let it sit for 15 min and it turned it black it cleaned up after sanding but was pitted and no longer usable I have also tried a grinder and am afraid to go too far and hit the aluminum. Please help if you have any info.

Jonathan Schumann
mechanic - Bismarck, North Dakota

++++++

Q. I have the same problem, and I cannot find out how to remove the chrome but so far I been peeling some off, but can't get the rest, I'm going to go to couple body shops and ask, but anyone else has a comment bout them reply here. thanks

Blake Pfoutz
- Lafayette, Indiana

++++++

A. Reverse current in 15% sulfuric acid will remove the chrome and underlying nickel without damage to the aluminum, but I don't think you want to do this at home. Most plating shops can easily do this for you.

jeffrey holmes Jeffrey Holmes, CEF
- Spartanburg, South Carolina

++++++

A. Sandblasting, it's going to be the easiest and safest way to remove the chrome with minimal pitting and material removal.
If you don't have sandblasting gear, check with your local welding shops and see if they can help you out.

Marc Banks
Blacksmith - Elizabeth City, North Carolina

A. I remember when I wanted to take chrome off my bicycle wheel I would put fire to it (direct fire) the chrome would peel and was easily scraped off. sand and painted.
I'm about to do some rims off my truck from chrome to polished.

Edwin James
- Brooklyn New York

! Hi, Edwin. Thanks for joining in and helping. But I don't think I can agree. Maybe you successfully burned off shiny chrome-look paint? I personally don't think you can remove real chrome plating that way.

July 9, 2008appended

Q. Can anyone help: my car wheels are chrome plated; one has started to peel and it's peeling off like wall paper.
The other 3 wheels are fine but now I have 1 bad one can anyone help with ideas for a DIY strip that won't damage the wheel underneath the chrome.
The wheel that has started to peel has what looks like a nice smooth black paint underneath so if I could get the chrome off myself I want have to get repainted as I wanted them black as the chrome is terrible.
Any help would be great.Cheers ROB

robert allen
hobbyist - bridgend s. wales UK

Q. I recently bought a set of Keystone Klassic rims which were chipped scuffed and the chrome was peeling on all of them. I work at my dad's repair shop and stayed after hours to try different ways to get it off, and so far have been somewhat unsuccessful. I tried sand-blasting them, and it worked great to take off the majority of the chrome, but had minimal effect on the sides and edges which weren't peeling. I used a resin pad on an air tool to remove the rest on one but it left the aluminum shiny and chrome-like,i am now trying to find a better way to rough up the smoothed aluminum while also looking for a different method of removal. I was wondering if there are more abrasive mixtures available for the sand-blasting method (other than glass beads)that anyone has any experience with. or maybe a cleaner that will help. (P.S. the repair shop my dad owns is strictly mechanical, body repair is just hobby of my own, so I have limited resources of which to use) Any ideas?

Terry Knutson
- Bowbells, North Dakota

Q. Hey guys, basically same question most everyone is asking. "How do I strip the chrome off"

I got a set of aluminum wheels that are chrome plated. I'm the kinda guy like some that try's to do it all on a budget. Not the biggest fan of chrome and I want to black out these wheels. Would it be worth my effort to just have the wheels powdercoated black or spend countless hours trying to strip them my self to then paint my self !

Suggestions or comments
Or
Answers!

Brandon H
- Silverton, Oregon, United States

A. Hey I found a really easy, quick and kinda cool way to remove chrome by accident. I was at work using my brand new chrome, Matco wrenches when I got battery corrosion on the 13 mm. So of course, what's right in front of me: battery terminal cleaner! Sweet, it comes right off...OH FUDGE (but the other word, lol) my chrome's gone too! So yeah anyways, battery terminal cleaner.

Dillon Mckean
- Sierra Vista, Arizona

A. attery Terminal Cleaner? Really?
If that actually works, I'm impressed!

Chad Kelly
- Yuma, Arizona

A. This was most likely not due to the cleaner but due to the sulfuric acid in the battery corrosion. Sulfuric acid is used in chrome removal as well as car batteries. You can use sulfuric acid to remove chrome by submerging your part in it and hooking up a car battery to the part. The negative terminal or cathode. Hook the anode or positive terminal to a lead bar or just something lead and submerging that to. Watch it bubble. Check the part regularly and be careful this stuff is dangerous! It's called electrolysis and is the reverse of how they chrome plate. Thanks.

Charles Cook
- Batavia Ohio

A. Hi Charles. Thanks. But actually you have the terminals reversed in your description.

Q. I need a little help here. I have a chrome plated [real thin] breather cover off an old car that I am powder coating. I started out bead blasting it just to etch it up some. Well as I am doing this a small section of the chrome flies off, so I started to see if I could just blast the rest off. Well, it would not release any more chrome. I blast it at 135 lbs of pressure and still no more chrome will come off. I know now that I have to get all the chrome off but no more will come off. This has to be done before I coat it. I just don't know what to do. PLEASE if you know what I need to do to get the rest of this chrome off, please feel free to help me out here. THANKS.

Robert Knick
- Guyton, Georgia

A. Robert,
Most of the chemical methods I know of to remove chrome are moderately to heavily toxic and best handled by a professional plating shop, they would also not be cost effective for you I'd think.
Here's what I suggest, take a wire wheel on an angle grinder to it, or a flap wheel, and scuff the heck out of the surface, then go back in and sand blast again. Check the areas where the chrome was with a chemical indicator to see if it's there or gone.

Marc Banks
Blacksmith - Boone, North Carolina, USA

thumbsup2Marc Banks.
Marc, I did something just like you said and it came out great. Once I coated it with powder, let it cure -- man it was awesome. It really was. But thanks a whole lot for your help. I hope this could help someone else.

Robert Knick
- Guyton, Georgia, U.S.