-- The Home Page of the Finishing Industry

The Hotline: Serious Education ... plus the most fun you can have in metal finishing. Ted Mooney, Webmaster

Painting polyethylene resin imitation "wicker" furniture?

Q. I am a homeowner getting my patio ready for spring. I have some real wicker furniture and want to buy some new wicker pieces to match. Just about all the wicker I can find at any reasonable price is made of polyethylene resin, but none of it matches the color of my real wicker pieces, which are painted white.

So, if I buy, say, a tan polyethylene resin "wicker" chair, what kind of paint do I use to paint it white. Everything I've been able to find on the internet says that paint will not bond to this stuff. I find that hard to believe.

Can anyone help?

Glen Andheim
Home Owner - Saint George, Utah

A. Krylon Fusion [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] is specially made for painting plastic. I think there is a reasonable chance it will work "good enough" for this application, but you are reading correctly that polyethylene is extremely difficult to paint, and it will certainly prove impossible to use sandpaper on wicker-like weavings.

Ted Mooney,

A. What you've been reading is correct. The only satisfactory solutions are to either find polyethylene which matches, or to repaint your wicker to match the poly. Any paint which you put over the poly will soon begin to flake off and you'll have a mess.

Jeffrey Holmes, CEF
      South Carolina

thumbsup2Thanks, Jeff. I didn't think of painting the real wicker to match the poly 'wicker' and you are probably right that that is a better idea.

Ted Mooney,

Q. I have 3 resin decorative molds under my granite bar that need to be painted.
Any suggestions on how and what kind of paint to use on them?
Thank You

Debra Jones
homeowner - Beaumont, Texas

Q. I have a set of wicker furniture that needs repainting. I would like to find a polyresin spray to paint it with. Is there such a product? If so, where could I find it?

Debra White
hobbyist - Brookhaven, Mississippi

A. Hi, Debra. I am assuming that this is real wicker rather than plastic, and that you want to put something on it that is "better" than regular spray paint -- perhaps to try to make it more water resistant? Yes resin sprays do exist =>

. . . but I can't personally attest to them making for a waterproof finish. Good luck.

Ted Mooney,

Q. I have painted the white vinyl and it remains sticky what can I do?

Jolene Scavone
- West Bloomfield, Michigan

A. Hi Jolene. Leave it in the sun and hope for the best. Do you know what you painted it with?

Ted Mooney,

Q. I have a resin wicker coffee table that I would like to paint a darker color to match my existing patio furniture. The top is glass and the base is resin wicker in a lighter hard is this to do and will I have a problem with it peeling?

Sharon Wilder
- Clarkston, Michigan

A. Something to remember when painting resin or plastic wicker. Give them a GOOD scrubbing with 2 parts ammonia /1 part water. Use a brush, rinse and allow to dry completely before painting. You'll stand a better chance of the paint adhering properly.

Toby Corn
- Dahlonega, Georgia

Q. I too, have polyresin wicker furniture. It looks moldy, and I would paint it a chocolate brown. What do I need to do so furniture is not sticky and paint will not flack off?

M valentin
- Oceanside, California

©1995-2015     -    Privacy    -    Search