RoHS compliance plating

++++++

Could someone tell me what RoHS compliance plating would be the best to replace Hard Anodize (Black color)?

John Ng
MFG. - Palo Alto, California

++++++

Umm, probably Hard Anodize. Who told you hard anodize wasn't RoHS compliant, and on what basis did they say it wasn't?

++++++

The only part of the anodizing process that MAY cause RoHS problems is the dye. If your dyeing, check with the dye manufacturer.

Justin Crisp
- Indianapolis, IN, USA

++++++

While I fully agree with both Ted and Justin, I remain puzzled about the source of the question. A very large computer manufacturer asked the same question having heard that black anodize is non-RoHS compliant! I'm assuming that this stems from the minor chromium content in SOME dyes, however, I'm not sure as to the valence state of the chromium in the dye, nor the level of chromium incorporated in the resultant coating. The fact that several people are confused on the subject might be cause for all users of black dye to go back to their manufacturers and get their dye manufacturer's "RoHS compliant declaration". The fact that there are so many black dyes to choose from might also complicate the issue if some are and some aren't.

Milt Stevenson, Jr.
Syracuse, New York

++++++

The suppliers of our black dye and seal have certified them as RoHS compliant.

Chris Jurey, Past-President IHAA
Luke Engineering & Mfg. Co. Inc.

Wadsworth, Ohio