No popups, no spam.
Folks helping folks with
respect.  You'll like it.
  HomeFAQsBooksHelpWantedsAdvertiseContactForum Letter 38809

The finishing.com Hotline: Serious Education ... plus the most fun you can have in metal finishing. Ted Mooney, Webmaster

Antique baby carriage restoration Q&A's

An ongoing discussion from 2001 through 2016 . . .

(2001)

Q. I am refinishing an old baby buggy. The chrome is in good shape other then a few rust spots. How do I remove them? I don't know where to begin.

Joyce R [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- London,Ont., Canada

Chrome Polish & Rust Remover

(2001)

A. The chrome is gone in the pitted areas, Joyce. Chrome polish should remove the rust, but you'll have to constantly keep it waxed or it will re-rust because there is no longer any plating between the steel and the outside world in those pitted areas.

It won't be cheap, but you might consider having it replated by a plating shop. Good luck.

(2005)

Q. Hi;
I am restoring an old baby carriage for my soon-to-come first grand-daughter, the same one we used 30 years ago for her mother. The chassis (bottom part of carriage with the wheels on it, for lack of a better term) is chrome-plated steel and has rust spots throughout. How can I restore this?

George Cruz
hobbyist - Yorba Linda, California

(2005)

Microcrystalline "Museum Wax"

A. The nickel-chrome plating is rusting because after all these years it is now porous, George. The correct restoration is to send it to a plating shop for replating. But if you can't afford that, you can clean it up with chrome polish; then, keeping it well waxed and dry will deter rusting quite a bit. Good luck.

(2005)

Q. Sir:
I have an old carriage (45 years old) and want to find a company who could restore it. The fabric (canvas) on the hood needs to be replaced as well as some of the leather straps. Any help would be wonderful.

Thom Milano
- Brooklyn, New York

(2005)

Q. I am refurbishing a baby carriage that has been in the family for 4 generations and need 4 hub caps. The wheel hubs are stamped with the name "Ariel" The caps are 1 1/4 with a tapered thread 20 per inch. I have 2 on hand but they are in poor shape. Any assistance would be appreciated

Jon Flood
- Fond du Lac, Wisconsin

A. Hi, Jon.

I think there is little chance of finding them, although you could check Ebay. But I'm confident that a local machine shop can make what you need, preferably out of stainless steel.

Need baby carriage (circa 1965) restoration

RFQ: I have a baby carriage -- coach style with large wheels and a leather-upholstered body, circa 1965, that has been in the attic for 25 years. It needs restoration.

1965 baby carriage -1  1965 baby carriage -2  1965 baby carriage -3

I welcome inquiries and prices from Mid-Atlantic restorers.

Judith Turner
Future Grandmother - Washington, DC, USA
^- Sorry, this RFQ is outdated
     View Current RFQs

Q. Hi I recently bought a baby stroller. I was wanting to know where I could find more info on it. Its a pull type (has like a wagon handle) two 11 inch wheels with two small wheels in the back to kept it from tipping over backwards (like wheelie bars on a drag car). It looks like it has a removable shade (which I think I am missing some pieces) that stores under the seat when not in use. The seat folds back when baby is sleeping and it folds forward and handle folds back when not in use. Also has wicker sides. I found it in s.e. Iowa don't know if that will help any. Thanks, Mike.

Mike Emick
hobbyist - lamar Colorado

Q. A friend of mine has a 1930's chrome Chevrolet baby buggy and wants to know how much its worth how do we find that out ?

kattie leonna
- las vegas, Nevada

Kovel's Antiques and Collectibles

A. Antiques Road Show wouldn't be a big hit if such questions were easily answered, Kattie :-)

Start with a good antique shop. Or, to approach it on the cheap, track e-bay auctions of antique baby buggies. Or see if any help is available at www.restorers.com, and see if your library has a copy of "Kovels' Antiques & Collectibles Price Guide" [link is to info about the book at Amazon]. Good luck!

This is a metal finishing site, and the metal finishing of these items is our only genuine interest in them. Sorry, but this site doesn't offer or print appraisals.

----
Ed. note July 2016: Sorry, www.restorers.com appears to be gone.

Restoring metal baby carriage frame, 1940s?

Q. Hi! I recently acquired an old baby carriage, and working with vintage metal is all new to me. It seems to have all the pieces except the wheel covers. So far I don't see any brand or symbols on it but it is in desperate need of cleaning... My question is what do you suggest for cleaning and then restoring the metal, including the wheels? I really want to salvage this piece. The metal seems solid, just very greasy and dirt covered, also scratched. Some rust. The carriage handle, which is one long rounded handle attached on both ends to the frame looks to be plated because the silver is somewhat scratched through and shows the dark metal underneath. I am looking for as much information as possible or further contacts to go to, on how to clean and restore the metal frame and wheels, as after that I will have to move on to re-covering it.

1940s baby carriage 1  1940s baby carriage 1

I was entrusted with this item in hopes to be able to restore it and am looking for any helpful information and sources. Thank you!

Dorothy Bohnert
hobbyist - Joliet, Illinois, USA

A. Try Canadian Conservation Institute website -- there you can find very good info on conservation and care of metal objects! Hope it helps and good luck!

RFQ: I have an old baby carriage I'm looking to restore who can do this for me?

Christina Henze
- Longmont, Colorado

Q. I am restoring a Perego Baby Carriage...Luxury model and need to whiten the wheels, and the inside (which is white vinyl but has stains). It is chocolate brown with a white stripe on both sides that also need to be whitened. Is there anything I can use to fix this problem? All of the chrome around the wheels is in excellent shape and so is the body. I can't find anything that works...thanks so much.

Posey Thomson
- Santa Cruz, California

A. Hi, Posey. Back in the days of that carriage, carbon tetrachloride (Carbona) was the one thing that would work instantly and perfectly on white vinyl. It is toxic and has been banned from consumer products for a long time, so I doubt that you will find it. You might very cautiously try a white wall tire cleaner like Bleche-Wite [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] on the upholstery since you'll want it for the tires anyway.

RFQ: I've been cleaning up a carriage that my in-laws gave us to use as a bassinet and buggy. The carriage is missing a chrome handle that is "S" shaped and attached to the upper end of the buggy.I think the carriage was manufactured in the 1960's, it's blue with a little window for the kid to look out of when they get big enough. You can also adjust the angle at which you prop the "passenger." Are there restorers or people who have these parts on hand? I'd buy another carriage just for the part but I don't know where to look aside from craigslist and ebay.

Kevin Padden
hobbyist - Boise, Idaho
^- Sorry, this RFQ is outdated
     View Current RFQs

RFQ: Hi. I bought an antique baby buggy at an estate sale that is missing a wheel. Where do I find a replacement? Thanks! Trish

Trish Spatz
hobbyist - Richardson, Texas
^- Sorry, this RFQ is outdated
     View Current RFQs

A. Hi, Trish. It's hard to find antique baby buggy wheels and rugger bubby bumpers.

I would try eBay, Black Market Antiques, and possibly Speedway Motors in Nebraska.

www.restorers.com has some threads on the subject, including offers by shops to repair old carriages. But it may be more practical to see if a local machine shop can make something for you. Good luck.

----

Need chroming for restoring old baby carriage

RFQ: I need various parts re-chromed including the spoke wheels and the undercarriage.
The undercarriage is riveted together. Is it possible to re-chrome this without taking it apart?
I live in Staten Island NY and I am looking for a chrome plating shop in NYC or NJ area.
What is the cost of something like this?

Vincent Priolo
hobbyist - Staten Island, New York, USA
^- Sorry, this RFQ is outdated
     View Current RFQs

A. Hi Vincent. It's probably possible to re-chrome without removing the rivets. But the cost will probably be a shock. Take a look at our "Introduction to Chrome Plating" to understand why it's going to take them a couple of hours of handwork; and unfortunately they can't work any cheaper than your plumber or auto mechanic :-(

50ish Mercury coupe baby buggy?

Q. Hi there, I have recently acquired this baby buggy and I am having a difficult time obtaining any information on it. I did find one online through a search, it was completely restored. BEAUTIFUL! unfortunately there was no contact information available. If you know anything about this item please let me know. Thank you in advance
Again, thanks.

54847

Shawneen Teed
amateur - Beloit, Wisconsin USA

A. Hi, Shawneen. If you want to locate a shop to refinish this, let us know. If you need tips on refinishing it yourself, we may be able to answer your questions. If someone knows the history, it might be interesting. But this isn't an antiquing site, and sorry but we can't help buy, sell, or appraise such items. Good luck.

Q. I recently purchased a very old wicker baby buggy/carriage which is set on a steel frame and wooden spoke wheels. The rubber is gone from 3 of the 4 wheels as well as the metal frame appears to have been painted black, or over age has turned so. The metal is very rusted or corroded as well.

Questions, 1. where to find replacement rubber for the wheels, and
2. how to go about cleaning or sanding down the metal to clean it up to repaint it.

Also the caps in the middle of the wheels are about inch and a half in diameter and are silver and have the initials 'HW' ornately embossed on all 4 wheels. There appears to be some surface rust on these caps, can that be removed? Any information as to what that could mean or where this carriage originated? Thanks for your time.

Amy Rademacher
hobbyist - Loup City, Nebraska USA

Q. Many of the old wicker baby carriages, such as those made by Hedstrom Union have metal wheels that are wrapped with solid rubber. Often the wheels are in good condition or can be restored, but the rubber is usually badly cracked.

How can the rubber be replaced?

Carl Hopkins
hobbyist - Santa Barbara, California USA

Ozone Generator

Q. I have a baby carriage similar to those I read about on this site. It's 40 years old. I need to find hood material and edging, inside material, which is of a quilted plastic sort, and a handle bar for it. I have the metal that holds the handle bar, but the plastic bar itself is broken in half. It is still intact because of the metal that goes through it. I understand I can take the chrome parts to a machine shop and have that restored.

The carriage needs to be painted unless I can shine it up with a high sheen cleaner or a polisher. I know a paint used on cars may work if I have to go that route, but it would have to be done professionally. I can find no company in the USA that restores carriages such as these.

I don't need wheels, but the wheels and spokes need to be cleaned up. The wood that holds the carriage mattress is warped and smells of mold. It looks to be some kind of man made brown board, very smooth and about a half inch in thickness.

Any help given would be highly appreciated.

Melissa Lawler
mom who wants to restore carriage for pregnant daughter - Ball Ground, GA USA

Q. Hi! I purchased an antique Shirley Temple pram and am trying to figure out how to replace or make a new fabric for the hood/ sunshade. Any tips? I would appreciate it.

Kat DiMira
- Bandera, Texas

Q. I have an old baby carriage that was my husband's from 1969. I want to restore for our baby. Where do I go? I live in NJ bergen county. thank you

Marianna P
- Wyckoff, New Jersey, USA

Q. I have a baby carriage like the one used in Gone with the wind, Bonnie Bell was sitting on the seat with Clark Gable pushing her. The horse is in good condition but I need new rubber on all 4 wheels, I want to restore the carriage and sell it. The baby would lay in the wicker bottom as the child got older, they could sit on the seat and hold the reins to the horse. The horse is covered with horse hide and still has the original bridal and reins. Please help, I need to get this in shape to sell.

Kaye R
- Shreveport, Louisiana, USA

Q. I have found a 1950's antique baby stroller that is need of restoring. Having trouble finding a restorer in Washington State. Does anyone know of someone in Washington that does restoring on such items?

Denise Denney
- Port Orchard, Washington, USA

----
Ed. note -- Gentle readers: if you have a company name for parts or restoration services, it is welcome. But no testimonials please! Testimonials quickly lead to a race to the bottom, with shills posting with fictitious names, posing as satisfied customers, and offering glorious praise of their own company :-)

Q. Hi, I have a beautiful wicker and iron stroller. There is a L-shaped round iron rod with the parasol on one end. However, there is no evidence on the stroller how to attach the rod behind it so the parasol balances over the stroller. It looks like I need a cast iron piece that fits somehow to the back of the stroller where the end of the iron rod rests but I don't know. Any suggestions?

wicker baby carrige

Sheryl Hartman
- Springville, Indiana, USA

Q. Hey There,
I have a 1984 Perego Baby Carriage, and would like to know where I can find a new cushion. It's the type, that has two parts to it (attached) the seat area and the back. Do you have any suggestions?
Sincerely,

Laura Kearins
Caregiver - Bronx, New York, USA

Q. I have 4 metal wheels to a wicker bassinet that need rubber around them. Can you suggest where I can have this done? It seems I can't find anyone in my area that does this.

Frank Randi
- Woodhaven, New York

Q. Hello. I restored my daughter'1975 Headstrom stroller. I'd like to pit new solid white replacement rubber on it. Anyone know where I might get some?
Bob

Bob Pike
- Sagamore Beach, Massachusetts

Q. We just got a 1850 Baby Stroller that we need to repair. I need to find a place to get snaps,Fabric and etc. The top is in bad shape. Can someone give me some places and names I can find the hardware and fabric. Thank you

Steven Bard
- Methuen, Massachusetts

Q. I have a 1968 white, vinyl Perego pram. It remained perfection for many years. 2 years ago, when we moved, someone put it in the basement, and now the metal is rusted and interior vinyl is imbedded with black mold spots.
A quick wash did nothing to remove the stains, but my goal was to remove the dirt.
Please! How can i remove these awful and unsanitary looking stains that appear to have penetrated the vinyl?
Even if i were to make it totally safe, my daughter would never allow her baby to use something that looked contaminated.
The metal, too, is quite rusted and pitted, but I know that with lots of effort, I can make the metal presentable.
On a lost site, someone recommended a marine cleaner found at Walmart.
I've been to 3 Walmart stores near the ocean, and nothing!
Thanks hp

helen preby
- boston, Massachusetts usa

A. Bleach (5% Sodium Hypochlorite) works. Walmart has it.

tom_rochester
Tom Rochester
Plating Systems & Technologies, Inc.  

Jackson, Michigan, USA

Q. I have an old Perego stroller, pram. My father in law bought from a man in his late 80's whose parents bought when he was a baby. We used it for my two kids,now in their mid 30's. Everything is there. Are there any marks or serial numbers I can use on it to further the research? Thanks, Mark

mark lammer
- santa Barbara, California

Q. I have a dark brown metal push doll buggy that I got as a gift from an elderly neighbor in 1958, that I played with throughout my childhood. It came with bedding and 2 black clay dolls with movable extremities. The hood is able to be pushed down accordion style with movable metal frame which is detachable. The leather that covers the metal supports has ripped in multiple places. Otherwise the buggy is in good condition. Would a furniture reupholstery who works with leather be able to replace and sew a leather covering for the hood frame? Thanks in advance.

MAGDA SCHIJFF
- CHAPEL HILL, North Carolina

Q. I have a Perego pram imported from Italy in 1985 by my mom for my daughter. excellent shape for the ago. Wheels are dirty, a cleaner will take care of that. Chrome will clean up easily. It was preserved phenomenally, no rust.
I want to purchase a new, nicer, comfortable mattress and fitted sheets.

Any advice is appreciated, Our first grandson!! Thank you :)

Beverly Nettleton
- chesapeake Virginia USA

Q. I am looking for a white replacement handle for a 1965 Royale Pram and also the end cap for the handle.

ingrid chopping
- cedar grove, North Carolina

----
Ed. note: Please keep trying Ebay and Craigslist folks. This site focuses on the metal finishing aspects of things, not where to find obscure antique components. Sorry, but we haven't been very successful at this kind of sourcing :-(

Restoration of Baby Doll Carriage

RFQ: I would like to restore my old baby doll carriage, early to mid 60's, for my granddaughter. It is metal with a fabric hood. It may be a Biltrite, but there is nothing stamped on the carriage itself. I was wondering if you have any suggestions as to how to go about it ... or if you know of anyone in the Fairfield/New Haven Counties areas in Connecticut, who do restorations.

1960s doll carriage

Thank you!!

michelle armstrong
- trumbull Connecticut usa
^- Sorry, this RFQ is outdated
     View Current RFQs

Canvas baby buggy

Q. I have an old brown canvas baby buggy. It is unique in the fact that it completely collapses; and can be made to swing or stay stationary. I simply would like to know if it can be successfully spray painted. If so what type of paint would be suggested.

canvas baby carriage   canvas baby buggy

Can it successfully be done; and what do I do - Prep, Kind of paint, etc. I am looking at a color of navy blue, I think. Thank you.

Cynthia Rassulo
Hobbyist - Greensboro, North Carolina

Canvas Dye & Restorer

A. Hi Cynthia. I doubt that paint would be satisfactory, but there are "brush on" canvas dyes that I suspect would be good. I see a few brands on Amazon, and there may be others. Best of luck.

Need wheels/tires for carriage

RFQ: Need to find someone that restores old baby buggy tires they are hard rubber.

bruce wolczanski
1953 - ft lauderdale, Florida
^- Sorry, this RFQ is outdated
     View Current RFQs

RFQ: Replacement tire(s) needed for vintage Perego Pram
One of the rubber wheels on my much loved vintage Perego Pram is disintegrating. I am desperate to find a replacement tire (or set of tires).
Any help in achieving this goal would be greatly appreciated!

vintage Perego Pram tires A  vintage Perego Pram tires B

Is there anyone who makes custom tires?
Or is there a source for replacement tires that would fit vintage prams?

Catherine Paull
buyer - Ossining, New York, USA
^- Sorry, this RFQ is outdated
     View Current RFQs

vintage bassinet / carriage

Q. I hope you can help. I have a gorgeous white wicker bassinet that is now a family heirloom. I'm about to have my first grandchild and the chassis (where the basket sits in, raising it up high and including wheels) got lost in a move.

Where can I find a chassis and, if I can't find one on ebay, who can make one? I live in Westchester county, New York.

Stephanie Greene
- New rochelle, New York

Q. I Have an early 1940's South Bend Toy Mfg. Wood Doll carriage in pretty good shape. What can I use to clean this up with that will not hurt the finish. Also the Doll needs to be restored does anyone have suggestions.

Gwyneth Stadt
- Grant Park, Illinois USA

thumbsup2Hi folks.

If you enjoy your hobby of baby carriages & doll carriages, we're delighted to provide you all the space you need, and to post your photos, co-ordinate the dialogs, and offer good google placement so you'll have company. But finishing.com focuses on metal finishing and we have no expertise -- and little interest -- in carriages, aside from painting/plating of the metal.

So if this thread is going to consist only of people wanting help with their own problems but not taking any time to offer help to your fellow hobbyists, it will obviously become just a silly endless stream of unanswered questions. Please try your best to help at least one other person with their question before posting your own!!

Q. Is there anywhere I could get parts for my baby carriage?

Patti Moffett
- Bossier city, Louisiana

Q. Mystery Pram frame without basket. Anyone know its maker?

38809-6

I have a double handled baby pram frame on wheels and am trying to find similar carriage to see if I can formulate a proper basket replacement for it. the handles are wood on wrought iron frame

Patty Putman
collector - washoe valley, Nevada

Silver Cloud Pram replacement straps

Q. I have a Silver Cloud pram that was purchased around 1985. It has a total of 6 leather straps that need replacing.
Does anyone know where I can purchase these?
Thank you very much.

carolyn lee
owner - wichita falls, texas