Silver polish (Tarn-X) stained my stainless steel sink

+++++

Q. I spilled silver polish in my stainless steel sink and did not realize it until sometime later.
Is there a way to get the stains out?

The silver cleaner spilled in the sink was Tarn-X.

Faith O'Kelley
- Asheville, North Carolina

+++++

A. adv.
Restore It Yourself, Inc manufactures an easy to use kit, called Scratch-B-Gone for the remediation of Stainless steel and quick removal of scratch, stain, chemical burn and rust from all surfaces of real Stainless steel appliances, sinks, and grills. Give us a call, No Worries...

Barry Feinman
Restore It Yourself, Inc

Carlsbad, California

+++++++

Q. The product worked! Thank you so much.

Faith O'Kelley (returning)
- Asheville, North Carolina

July 28, 2008appended

Q. A cleaner, brand name Tarn-x, was wiped on the stove and left on. Later, the stove was wiped down after seeing various dark streaks and circles on what appear to have been former food spills and Tarn-x residue. The stove was washed down with soap and water; next I used Wright's Silver Creamamazoninfo and it took the stove back to where it's original color was except for the heaviest of the streaks and dark colorations. What can I do to bring the entire stove back to it's original Stainless Steel color?

Gwendolyn Doggett
- Camp Springs, Maryland

April 6, 2009appended

Q. I have dark grey stains on my stainless sink from Tarn X I have scrubbed with every thing. Any help out there would be great.

Kathy Lennon
Artist - Oshkosh Wisconsin

A. I too got Tarn-x on my new kitchen sinks. After coming to this site, I remembered that to sell my other house, I used car polish to clean and polish the old sinks. I signed off and tried it. It took three applications, but there are no remaining black marks. I had used Meguiers at the old house. Today, I used some polish my friend put in a bottle for me last year, so, sorry about not knowing the name. Put some on a rag and rub hard. Let it dry and rub hard again. Repeat until gone. Your rag turns black and your sinks return to their original color. My sink seemed to have deeper brush groves around the top and that area took the most rubbing -- but all the stains came off.

Laurel Zigler
- Ontario, Oregon USA

January 17, 2012appended

Q. I was cleaning my silver cutlery and some of the silver cleaning liquid got onto the stainless steel sink and has left marks as though the steel has been bleached. Any ideas of how to remove the marks please?

Rita Shah
- London, England

Hi, Rita. As you see, we added your posting to a thread that already addresses this subject and offers three potential solutions.

Hopefully other readers will avoid problems by recognizing that silver polish can stain stainless steel. Good luck.

Q. I left a rag full of Tarn-x in my brand new, of one week, stainless steel sink over night. It now has a black mark on it; how do I remove this stain? I'm sick about it; the sink is one week old. Thanks for your help.

Evelyne Hadida
- Montreal, Quebec, Canada

A. After reading all the advice about cleaning my Tarn-x stain in my stainless steel, I got home and wiped the sink with Barkeeper's friend and to my surprise I was able to get rid of the stain 98%. You can hardly see the mess that I had. So, thanks to everyone who told me about the Barkeeper's friend; it's just too bad this product is not easily available in Montreal. I was lucky that I had bought some in Florida last time I was there; this product is great and I'll be cleaning my stainless sink with it from now on.
once again thanks

Evelyne Hadida
- Montreal, Quebec, Canada

thumbsup2Thanks everyone for the posts. My Google search brought me here and Barkeeper's Friend worked! phew. :-)
For anyone in Montreal: I have seen Barkeeper's friend at Ares and at William's Sonoma.

Lori Goodfellow
- Toronto, Ontario, Canada