Stripping chrome plating off rims

+++++

I would like to ask a question about getting the chrome plating stripped off my rims. They are 20 inch wheels and I want to powder coat them black and I've learned I have to get the chrome and nickel plating off before I can get them powder coated. I live in Sumter SC and I am trying to find a place to get my wheels stripped so I can get them powder coated. Also I would like to know if the finished product of powder coating them will be a shiny or glossy finish.

Will Mdeleted
- Sumter, South Carolina
outdated

welcome

+++++

Hi Will. I don't think I'd do that if I were you. Instead, find a powder coating shop which is able to deal with them. I have heard several shops claim that by bead blasting just right, they are able to remove the chrome and get good adhesion to what's left of the nickel.

The powder coating will have its own gloss level, from matte to glossy depending on what you want. Good luck.

+++++

We always just strip the chrome, which is fairly quick, and sandblast the nickel lightly and we have never been told that a powder coater couldn't work with that.

Dondeleted
metal finishing - Springdale, Arkansas

+++++

Hi how would I go about sandblasting chrome off of my bike as I'm going to get it dipped. thanks for your help.

Joshua Pdeleted
bike repairs - Gympie QLD Australia

Will,
When attempting to powder coat over a chrome plated surface, adhesion properties are not good. There are some who would convince you that by scuffing the surface you can achieve a profile that will give good adhesion for powder coating, typically this is not the case and you will not be satisfied in the long run. Best case scenario is to strip the chrome off as well as the copper. The copper acts as a band aid and covers imperfections in the parent metal. So the next issue is what to do with the bare metal rim. There are fillers that are designed for use with powder coating that will smooth out imperfections. Next I would suggest to prime the rims with a zinc-free powder and use a quality top coat powder such as Tiger Drylac or Sherwin Williams. As to the luster this is controlled through the gloss level of the powder used. Typically the higher gloss level powders will be more resistant to UV unless you go to a super durable powder. I hope this helps clear up some of your questions, and good luck on your project.

George E Banar
powder coating - Sumter, South Carolina

RFQ: I see the letter and reply to Will about chrome de-plating, Is there any place in the local Sumter area that can strip the peeling chrome off of motorcycle aluminum wheels so that they can be powdercoated or polished? How hard is it to sandblast or media blast without using a chemical treatment to remove the plated layers. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Paul Gdeleted
- Sumter, South Carolina
outdated

----
Readers: Please see our "Looking for a Finishing Service" and "Looking for Products & Services for Our Finishing Shop" pages for active RFQs.
Our advertisers make this site possible for technical information exchange & camaraderie, and they will contact the inquirers privately regarding their commercial needs.