The finishing.com Hotline -- Serious Education ... plus the most fun you can have in metal finishing

Gold flash vs. plate

+++++

Q. I'm wondering whether there are any standards regarding what thickness of gold constitutes "flash" and what constitutes "plating". In particular for the terminals/pins on connectors.

Bruce J [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
cables - Santa Ana, California, USA

+++++

Those terms are meaningless.

Jeffrey Holmes, CEF
- Spartanburg, South Carolina

+++++

A. In electronics plating these terms are not recognized.

In the jewelry industry there are distinctions for "flash", gold plate and heavy gold electroplate.
"Flash" refers to thicknesses less than 7 millionths; gold plate, above 7 millionths; and heavy gold electroplate, 100 millionths of an inch. All measurements are expressed in terms of 24 karat gold.

John Carlotto
Innovative Coatings, LLC

E. Providence, Rhode Island

+++++

A. G'day, The term flash means to just cover the job with enough gold to give it a uniform color. Usually a cyanide gold. The term plating is short for electroplating. Connectors have varied uses. Some require more gold than others. Most mobile phone connectors have a thickness of 1.25 microns near the tip. Most connectors are electroplated in an acid hard gold first. This gold is an alloy and offers better mechanical wear protection. Then a flash of 24 kt cyanide gold to give it an even color.

Richard Bancroft
- Carrum, Vic, Australia

+++++

A. Flash gold plating is less than 0.25 Microns and usually not done on connectors. For this purpose, Cobalt or Nickel hardened additives are used in the Acid gold bath and usually a thickness of >1.0 Micron gold is deposited and is subjected to tests such as contact resistance, wear resistance, porosity etc.
In this case Mr. Bruce J has to set his requirement first.

T.K. Mohan
    plating process supplier 
Mumbai, India

A. Bruce:MIL-DTL-45204, Paragraph 6.3.1 defines a strike/flash as any plated material under 10 micro-inches or .000010. Depending on your application, we see 30 micro-inches of gold commonly on commercial connector applications. Mil-specs such as 39029 are 50 micro-inches min but also allow localized finishing. We routinely process size 16-22 gauge pc tail contacts and sockets with copper flash, nickel 50 min, gold flash/strike overall then selective plating mating end of socket or contact.

Casey Weizel
Foresight Finishing LLC

- Tempe, Arizona

Foresight Finishing

To minimize searching and thrashing, and to provide multiple points of view, Finishing.com combined formerly separate threads into the single dialog you are now viewing. Please forgive any resultant repetition.

+++++

Q. Is there a Standard that defines gold flash?
IPC J-STD-001D [link by ed. to spec at TechStreet]3.9.3 calls for gold removal on parts with >2.5 microns of gold on through-hole components and terminals. Spec sheets don't give the gold thickness, some do refer to gold flash. We use HASL in our Class 3 process, so this is an issue.

IPC calls for gold removal from 95% of all surfaces of surface mount devices regardless of gold thickness. So we have to double tin.

Thanks in advance for any input received.

Carol S [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
aerospace - Lindsay, Ontario, Canada

Q. Thanks for above explanations.
Then, can anyone teach me what is the difference between coating and plating (using on connectors)?

Golo Wu
- Taipei, Taiwan.

May , 2008

A. Hi, Golo. These are imprecise terms, and context dependent, and people don't always use them consistently -- so it is not a good idea to try to put too fine a point on it. A "plating" is often applied by electroplating/electrodeposition and is usually a metal, whereas a "coating" does not imply what technology was used, nor that the material deposited is a metal or non-metal.

Ted Mooney   Teds signature

Q. Can anybody tell me if the bath/machine used for micron plating is different than a flash plating bath? If so, could you tell me the difference?

Thank you in advance

Steve Fisher
- New Zealand

A. Hi Steve. The problem is that these terms have no accepted meaning, as you can see from the earlier discussions. So how can we put a fine point on them? :-)

But to some people, "micron plating" means gold plating to a thickness of approximately 1 micron thickness (i.e., 40 millionths of an inch) for gold plated sterling jewelry or other high quality costume jewelry. I would consider this thickness to be significantly greater than a flash plating, which would be more like 7 or 10 millionths of an inch -- just enough to give color. And I would use the term micron plating only to describe gold plating, not plating of other metals.

Yes, you can easily deposit either 7 millionths or 40 millionths from the same gold plating bath and the same machine, although there may possibly be some "color golds" that might not do well except within tight thickness parameters. Good luck.

Ted Mooney, finishing.com   Teds signature

February 10, 2013 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. Good evening

I am Interested in a Chain of Stainless steel with VERY thick Gold Plating (more than 20 microns) that supports scratches without going all the gold of the Surface.

So I contacted a Jeweler's shop in China and they tell me that they can do with 50 Microns gold plating but it will be Expensive.

My question is, is normal gold plating 2-3 microns but 50 is too much right for one Chain?

And do you think it's really possible to make that Thickness?

Regards!

Martin Martinez
Student - Montevideo, Uruguay

A. Hi Martin,

50 microns of gold is certainly possible, even thicker coatings can be obtained. The platers in China are correct though, that is going to be very expensive.

Thickness is dependent on what you want it to do, but a thick coating for jewellery chain is more like 5 microns rather than 20 microns.

Brian Terry
aerospace - Yeovil, Somerset, United Kingdom

A. Normally I am used to have open calculations when talking gold plating, but I would certainly check if 50 microns actually was applied.

Bo Konig
- Aalborg Denmark

A. I will agree with the other respondents and say 50 microns of gold is very possible. I once worked for a company that plated more than 127 microns of gold on electrical contacts. One thing I will tell you is that it will not be shiny gold when you are done. Also when plating those thicknesses of gold the bath has the strange and inexplicable ability to keep drawing current while the metal deposition stops completely. We never figured out how this was done. We just knew that every 5 microns or so (.0002") we would have to pull the rack and run it through an acid reactivation cycle and then continue plating. A real pain in the derriere.

Tim Hamlett, CEF
      Quality/Laboratory Supervisor -
Pompano Beach, Florida

Tim Hamlett
Anodizing - Pompano Beach, Florida, USA

Q. Hi, what is the difference if I will use 30 microns of gold instead of 50 microns? Do you think any problem would occur? Anyone please answer.

Jayson Pamienta
- Naic, Cavite, Philippines

A. Hi Jayson,

You really need to give us a lot more detail about what you are using the gold for, rather than asking an abstract question. All I can tell you at the moment is that your gold will be 20 microns thinner!

Brian Terry

Q. Just a question for all talking about plating with gold --
If this process does not last long and is expensive, will you consider plating with titanium oxide using the ipg, or pvd coating process (vapor deposition system)?
Looks to me the same (gold color) and lasts longer and also you can do different thickness (for jewelry mainly).
I will appreciate any comments regarding this matter.
I do really need to know what people with more experience think.

Jorge Sepulveda
- Huntington Park, California, USA

Gold plating vs. Palladium-nickel plating with gold flash

Q. Hi! Can you please specify the difference between gold flash over palladium nickel with 30 microinches gold plating. Which is better?

Enrique Masaru
- Naic, Cavite, Philippines

A. Hello cousin Enrique. This thread starts with a discussion of terminals/pins on conductors, and in that context an inexpensive flash of gold to protect the terminal/pins just until they are soldered or wrapped may be ideal, also a flash of gold on nickel-palladium contacts can aid in lubricity and thus wear resistance. But it has often been said that one thing is not "better" than another except in regard to meeting a list of requirements, and we don't know what requirements are important to you.

Is yours a terminal/pin application, contacts, or something else? Please give us as much info as possible about your application, and then people will hopefully be able to assist you. Thanks!

Q. These connectors that I am evaluating is being used in UPS. Regarding the functionality, I want to know if a thicker gold plating is better than gold flash with palladium nickel.

Enrique Masaru [returning]
- Naic, Cavite, Philippines

A. Hi again. I am not a connector plating expert, and I am not familiar with what voltage and current are carried by the connectors in question in your uninterruptible power supplies, or how durable they need to be for repeated insertions and removals, so I can't answer authoritatively. But palladium nickel with gold flash was developed specifically for this application, so I suspect that it is a more cost effective approach than hard gold plating. Suppliers of the process probably have white papers on the subject. Good luck.

A. Enrique,
If cost is not a factor, I would prefer thicker gold plating. On other hand you could offset some gold cost with Pd/Ni and thin gold plating layer. Within last thirty years Pd/Ni deposits are researched and used with above objective. I also think Pd/Ni deposits possess better tribological properties than Gold deposit.

Venkat Raja
- Kitchener, Ontario, Canada

Gold plating of USB connectors

Q. I am choosing a USB connector for one of my new product developments. I need to consider gold flash plating or 15 µ" gold plating. Can someone help how to choose.

Vinay Manjunath
- Bangalore, Karnataka, India

A. Sorry cousin Vinay, but I don't know if you are talking about adding a decorative flash of gold for the USB metal sheath (I've seen this on HDMI connectors and RCA jacks, and the Lightning end of USB-Lightning connectors), or whether you are talking about the contacts within the USB housing. I'm no connector engineer but I assume that with proper nickel plating underneath, 15 µin gold plating will meet the reliability standards for the number of insertions (I believe it was originally 1500). I think you need to read the USB specifications and insure that your design will pass the reliability requirements. Good luck.

USB