Boiling Rings in Peroxide and Vinegar Stops Rash

(2005)

Q. I had purchased a Platinum Engagement and Wedding ring set from a jeweler in the Downtown LA Jewelry Mart. My wife has had the rings since our wedding in August of 2001. Lately she gets a red rash around her ring finger and it is caused by the rings! Did she develop a sudden and consistent allergic reaction? Is my supposed platinum ring not really platinum? Is the ring merely rhodium coated? What can I do ? Thanks.

Dale Jdeleted
home owner - Los Angeles, California

Synopsis: The most helpful part of this thread is that dozens of women reported elimination of the rash by boiling their rings in vinegar & peroxide. We don't expect damage to your ring, but can't guarantee it; and remember that pearls are not stones and may be damaged by chemicals that don't hurt stones.

The thread also covers anti-fungal & cortisone creams, nickel allergy,aluminum allergy, and more. Read on! (Skip to 1st mention of vinegar & peroxide).

A. First of all, get your wife tested by a dermatologist for metal allergies. Once you have determined what she is allergic to, then something can be done about it. Many allergies associated with jewelry are due to nickel, but it is not usual for platinum to have nickel in it, unless it is a cheap platinum alloy. There are a lot of submissions about nickel allergies and jewelry on this site and other information can be obtained from organizations such as NiDI (Nickel Development Institute). If it is a metal allergy, a good deposit of rhodium usually puts pay to its effects, although it is not a permanent coating and will have to be replaced every few years.

A. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable about platinum will come by....but one thing you may want to look into is it being a possible infection (yeast) it sounds gross but it does happen quite a bit, especially if it isn't taken off during bathing. Moisture from sweat, washing hands, etc. will stay under the ring ... and warm wet places are where fungus/yeast like to be.

Jason Aube
- Flint, Michigan

Q. I'm 7 months pregnant. About two months ago, I developed a red, itchy rash under my wedding and engagement rings. I have worn the engagement ring for 2 years and wedding ring for 7 months without a problem. Any idea what might be wrong?

Antoinette Rdeleted
- New York, New York

A. I suggest you ask your O&G/pediatrics consultant. He/she will be in a better position to answer your problems than people on this site, as he/she will know more about you and your condition than anyone else. If he/she cannot, at least you can be pointed in the right direction.

Q. I have been wearing my wedding ring for the past year that is made from platinum and 18 kt yellow gold. Over the past 6-8 months I have been developing a rash only on one side of my finger that I wear the ring on. Everything that I read states that platinum is the metal for skin allergies and I have no problem wearing 14 kt gold so I am wondering if I could be one of the few that could be allergic to platinum or could it be the 18 kt gold as they both come in contact with my finger. Wouldn't 18 kt gold be more pure than 14 kt gold, or do you think that it could possibly be the gold portion that I am allergic too? I am about to have my diamond reset into the original 14 kt gold Tiffany mount so that I can at least enjoy my diamond but I really hate that I cannot wear this 2 tone mount that was rather costly - any suggestions?

LisaJoy G deleted
- Atlanta, Georgia

A. For those of you with repeating rashes such as the rash reappearing on the other hand I would get tested for metal allergies.

For those of you who suddenly develop a rash after having worn something for a long time I would try some cortisone cream and leave the ring off for a week or two.

I had the same thing happen with a plain silver band I had been wearing for months and months. It seemed like I had gotten some moisture and perhaps some bacteria underneath the ring that irritated the skin and made it itchy and then sort of dry and scaly. It would start to clear up a bit, so I figured I could put the ring back on, but once I did it would break out again.

So I had to wait for the "rash" to clear up completely before I could wear my ring again.

Give it a try, so long as your ring doesn't cause the same reaction on your other hand.

Jucstice Sdeleted
- Bonney Lake, Washington

Q. I have been suffering with a rash on my ring finger for the past 18 months. I have two children ages 5 & 2 years old.
Last weekend my girlfriend showed me her ring finger and she has the same rash. She has a one year old and her rash just started a couple of months ago. She spoke to her Doctor about it and was told that it is a reaction to the gold due to a hormone after having children. Hopefully now that I know what it is something can be done. If I have my ring on for one day I will suffer for two weeks with the rash.

Shawna S deleted
- Kanata, Ontario, Canada

(2006)

Q. I recently got married and my husband bought me a platinum wedding ring. After some time I started having a rash and dryness around the area where the ring made contact with my finger. I have worn several finishes of rings including silver, gold and junk, my whole life and never had any kind of reaction. In high school I use to where a ring on almost every finger. After doing some research on line I found that platinum is one of the most hypoallergenic metals made and people buy it specifically if they have allergic reactions to metal. The ring is stamped by "Ratani" (the brand) and says PT950, which I have read is the highest quality of platinum that you can buy. I went back to the jewelry store and they suggested that maybe I wasn't drying my hands properly. I knew that wasn't it but I made sure to take particular causation when drying my hands and see if the reaction still persisted. I also had the ring professionally cleaned in case some chemicals or something had some how seeped into the ring. One of my friends told me that platinum is often treated with chemicals that may be causing the reaction. I can't seem to find any information that validates her belief. What could be causing my skin to react in this way? Can anyone help? Thanks

Ruth Kdeleted
consumer - San Francisco, California

I'm glad I found these postings. I have been suffering from the same rash after about 6 months of wearing my expensive platinum wedding ring, purchased from a fine jewelry store in Santa Monica. We purposely bought from a boutique jewelry store to prevent problems.

I will go to my dermatologist first, then see the store.

My first inclination is that soap got caught inside the open grooves of my eternity lace cut ring, bacteria under the skin is my guess.

I will post back once I get the solution.

Ginnie Kdeleted
- Santa Monica, California

A. I have worn a platinum wedding ring for two years and I have trouble with a red dry rash underneath it off and on. I find that leaving it off for a while until it goes away and using Neosporin helps. I have also started taking it off at night, since my fingers swell sometimes which also irritates it. I have very sensitive skin and I have no idea why it reacts to the platinum.

Mary Sdeleted
- Houston, Texas

Q. I just got this ring in January for my 20th and it is more like a callus than a rash. This is a very pricey ring purchased in a store in L.A. as well. I do not want to change metal but I have had the ring on my other hand for about a week and the problem is starting on that hand. Any ideas? I was at my doctor's for another issue and they said it looked like a contact allergy but blew me off. Now it is worse and I am going back.

Catherine Jdeleted
consumer - San Diego, California

It is good to know that I am not alone, but the wife and I both ran into the problem years after wearing the rings. Our jeweler suggested a good cleaning as soaps get in the grooves on the bottom. That cleared up my wife's, but mine remains. Have not worn the ring in over 5 months and I still have a red mark and some dry flaky skin. The ring was also tight so am having it resized, to see if that relieves it all. Odd how something like that develops over time, I would think that an allergy to the metal would be almost immediate. That makes me think of the soaps, etc., under the ring.

Ray M deleted
- Houston, Texas

After having a blood-type allergy test, I found out I was allergic to many metals. Rhodium was one of them. It is often used to coat jewelry and to make platinum harder. A few years ago I had to have a titanium plate removed from my neck because it was causing other health problems--I lost 30 lbs. Then, after telling my orthopedic surgeon that I was allergic to "metals", he still insisted on putting a stainless steel plate with many screws in my arm and leg when I broke them last year. Now I'm going to have to have another operation to take that hardware out. So I would suggest that anyone with any type of "metal" allergy, take a metal allergy test so you can really know what you can and cannot wear or have implanted in your body. It was the dentist who finally had me get the allergy test before deciding to do implants or dentures. What's wrong with the "doctors"? Why don't they order the test as a matter of procedure before doing anything involving putting any metal in the body?

April B deleted
- San Jose, California

Q. I am having the same exact problem! I have two wedding rings in white gold and a sapphire ring I wear with them my husband got me after the birth of our twins which was 8 months ago. Ever since then I have this horrible red, flaky rash around my finger. I am desperate to find out what this is! Anyone to to a dermatologist and get a diagnosis? Is it in fact allergy or is it just some kind of fungus?

Christy D deleted
- Cedar Grove, New Jersey

I have been wearing my 18k white gold ring with diamonds and sapphires for 5 years and I just started to have an allergic reaction to it. I apply hydrocortisone daily which clears it up but once I start wearing the ring again the rash reappears. I keep hoping it will clear itself but I am beginning to think its like a leaky faucet, so its time to see a dermatologist. I'm glad I found these postings because I thought it was just me. :)

Angela B deleted
- San Diego, California

(2006)

A. I have developed the same flaky rash after wearing my white gold wedding ring and engagement ring all the time for four years. I also have 2 friends that have the same problem. After a little research, I think I will go home and soak my ring in 2 parts vinegar and 1 part hydrogen peroxideamazoninfo and boil it for about fifteen minutes. This helped many people from mohea.com site. I'll let you know how it goes!

Jennifer Gdeleted
- Colorado Springs, Colorado

thumbsup2Alright, I tried the before mentioned cure and it worked! I am totally itchy rash free! I think it must have been a bacteria or fungus that built up underneath my ring over the years. Or maybe because I've been cleaning a lot with harsher chemicals my skin broke down and was infected more easily. Either way, I am totally cured! I am glad I didn't waste money on getting my ring re-dipped or buying a platinum ring. Hope this helps!

Jennifer G (returning)
- Colorado Springs, Colorado

----
Anachronistic editors note: For those who need pictures, in 2009 Melissa Marie wrote a webpage which illustrates the vinegar-peroxide method quite nicely --
http://www.huckleberryprairie.com/ring-cleaning-avoid-the-ring-finger-rash

Wow, I have the same rash, who knew so many people would be posting this online...I've worn my rings for over 2 years with no problems.
Mine started to clear up after not wearing the rings for about 5 days & applying hydrocortisone & then I wore them overnight the other night & woke up w/ it itching like crazy & it is back...only this time it seems to be more in the area where my wedding band is versus my engagement ring.
I guess I'll get the rings cleaned really well, be more diligent about not wearing them 'til it is gone and also try some yeast creams in case that is what it is... glad to see I'm not the only one out there but I hope I don't have to have my ring dipped! :(

Lisa Wdeleted
- Charlotte, North Carolina

A. Follow-up
A dermatologist friend basically told me I had developed eczema on the finger where I wear my rings and after research, use of steroidal creams and avoiding washing my hands/showering w/ the ring on as well as not sleeping with it, I think she was definitely right! The symptoms matched, my rash was only on the dorsal side (back) of my hand, not the palm & I have it totally under control by taking them off at night and keeping the finger really dry...
Might be the case for others too :)

Lisa W deleted
- Charlotte, North Carolina

(2006)

Q. I have recently developed a red rash around the top of my ring finger. I too have a platinum set and have worn it for a little over two years.

Has anyone had the nickel testing done? Was that the cause? How did you solve the problem with the rings/how did you fix them?

Laura Ldeleted
Tampa, Florida

(2007)

thumbsup2I posted back in July...I was having the same problem with my platinum rings-the red itchy spot that seemed to get worse each day. I tried one person's post which suggested soaking my rings in hydrogen peroxide. It totally grossed me out to see how long my rings bubbled...that meant that I had dead skin cells and most likely bacteria up in the cut-outs under the diamonds. Well...once I saw this I could not ignore it, so I followed it up with the boiling of my rings for about 10-15 minutes. I was hesitant to throw my rings into a pot of boiling water, but nothing bad happened to them and as they boiled stuff came out from under the diamonds...I also used a toothbrush to wiggle more stuff loose and boiled again. Needless to say, whatever bacteria was living up in there feeding off of my skin cells and irritating my finger was gone-and my rings sparkled like new again! I have not had the problem since and it has been about 10 months. This is something I will do annually if not sooner. Seemed to do the trick for me. I am so glad, I was thinking that we wasted money and would have to get another set of rings. Give it a try!

Laura L deleted
Tampa, Florida

A. I've had the same symptoms for several months. After trying hydrocortisone, Neosporin, etc., I began to suspect a fungal infection, so tried clotrimizole, which seemed to help some. The most helpful thing so far is to rub the cut edge of a clove of garlic (strong antifungal and antibiotic properties) on the area regularly. After 5 days of this, it's almost gone.

Christine Gdeleted
- Medina, Ohio

Q. I changed my white gold wedding rings to platinum at the end of last year due to a metal allergy and rash, and everything was fine until the summertime. Now I have a red rash with water blisters again. The strange thing is that if I take my platinum rings off at night, the rash actually gets worse. When I leave them on, the rash starts to heal under the rings. Could this be more of a fungal or bacterial infection rather than a metal allergy?

Traci S deleted
Consumer - Chesapeake, Virginia

Clotrimazole Anti-Fungal Cream

Me too, me too! I'm jumping on this bandwagon of platinum ring-wearing rash-bearers. I have the same problem. After wearing the ring for 6 years, I suddenly got this awful red, blistery rash that itches. I left the ring off for days and it went away, but returned when I put the ring back on. I tried cleansing the ring thoroughly, then I tried Cortizone cream (no use) and am now trying antifungal cream. I'll let you know if this latest remedy works out...

Ann Marie S deleted
- Austin, Texas

I've had my ring resized at least 3 times thinking that my recurring rash was due to weight gain, causing fungus to grow under my ring. Yet I still continue to get them. I think I will try the vinegar and peroxide solution previously posted above. I've recently been reminded of the excellent way that both vinegar and peroxide individually have of killing bacteria and germs...they've got to be awesome when used together. If this IS the solution, then its pretty simple and cheap.

Sonya C deleted
- Whites Creek, Tennessee

thumbsup2I'm back with my report on the vinegar and peroxide solution. It really works! I didn't even boil it, I just soaked it in 2 parts vinegar and one part peroxide overnight. I then brushed it with a toothbrush to be sure it was thoroughly clean. I even started wearing it before my rash was completely healed and it continued to heal! It's ironic because now my husband is now complaining of the rash for the first time in 10 years...lol. I immediately gave him the solution to the problem. I had tried all the cortisone and antifungal creams on my rash. I even tried vinegar, peroxide, Neosporin on the rash. But it always returned when I put the ring on and the ring would irritate it even further. This vinegar and peroxide really work. Thanks Jennifer for giving us this information.

Sonya C (returning)

- Whites Creek, Tennessee

Q. Hey Sonya, is your ring platinum? I want to try the vinegar/peroxide thing but I don't want to hurt the platinum. Stupid rash. I've been having a constant rash ever since I got my platinum engagement ring over a year ago. I thought it was just soap getting under it so I left the ring off a few days and the rash healed. But then when I got the platinum wedding band a month ago, I started having a MAJOR rash. I've had the rings off for about a week and the rash is still trying to heal. It could be because the rings are really thick too. Who knows. I'm sorry to everyone that shares this same problem! At least we are all in the same boat together.

Rachael Sdeleted
- San Jose, California

A. To answer the previous question, my ring is gold. If you're afraid of soaking in the suggested solution, try just using a toothbrush to clean the underside of your ring thoroughly with the same solution and rinse.

Sonya C(returning)
- Whites Creek, Tennessee

thumbsup2I just wanted to follow-up and let everyone know that since I've been using the vinegar and peroxide mix, I haven't had any more issues with this nasty rash.

Someone asked what type of vinegar I used...2 parts distilled white vinegar mixed with 1 part hydrogen peroxideamazoninfo. My ring is gold/diamond and I've been able to safely clean my ring with this solution about once a month.

It's worth giving it a try.

Sonya C deleted
- Whites Creek, Tennessee

WOW! I am having the exact same problem. After camping in July I too developed a rash under my platinum wedding set that I have been wearing for over two years without a problem. (I previously had an all gold set that I never had a problem with.) I have also used, with success, cortisone cream only to have the rash reappear overnight once I start wearing my rings again. A doctor friend suggested that it is a bacteria/fungus or maybe an oil from vegetation from our camping trip. I am also going to try the peroxide/vinegar cleaning solution and will post if it works for me too! Thanks for all the postings...I thought I was the only one!

Susan V deleted
- Highlands Ranch, Colorado

Q. I have a new platinum ring but I have a bit of a different reaction, my finger turns a grey colour, I've been to the local jewelers and they said it is platinum but there not sure what is causing these marks, I'm desperate for an answer...please could someone help me?

Rachel L deleted
waitress - Sheffield, England

I am so relieved to find these posts about platinum allergies! I have been wearing my platinum wedding set for almost 6 years now, and starting about 4 years ago I began developing a burning red ring around my finger. Having the rings re-rhodiumed every year helps but is expensive. It's been the only cure I could find other than not wearing my rings! I haven't been tested for metal allergy but that will be my next step. Although I don't know how that will help with my rings as I don't want to give up my platinum. So I guess I'll be visiting the jeweler every year for the rhodium!

Debra K deleted
- Carrollton, Texas

Q. I typed this question about possible platinum allergy into Google and this site came up. When I started reading what people had submitted, my heart dropped. I don't want to be allergic to my new ring! I received it for my 25th anniversary and have been waiting so long! I had only worn it three months before developing a very red, scaly, itchy rash. After about a month I went to the doctor. She gave me a prescription cream that is used for eczema that is very strong ( a steroid). It was incredible and after 5 days my finger was perfect. No trace of anything. I put my ring back on. Two days later I had to take it off again, the rash was back and it was painful. My ring has small diamonds that go all the way around and I thought something was trapped in there. I had used a cleaning gel. But I have cleaned it with mild soapy water, rinsed and scrubbed it, and as soon as I put it on it irritates. I too will try the vinegar/peroxide rinse. Please help if you know something new.

Lisa Ddeleted
- Mission Viejo, California

Q. Suddenly, after 8 years of wearing my wide, thick "red gold 14 ct." wedding band, I have a "rash" on my finger, but only on one side of my finger - the side nearest to the middle finger. I noticed it 4 days after being licked by a dog... (who knows?).
I wore my ring constantly, through showers, hand-washing, cooking, hot humid summers when it would be very tight or winter when it would become looser. When I washed my hands I moved it up my finger a bit (towards the knuckle) to ensure I dried my finger thoroughly and then moved the ring back into its' spot.
The rash appeared "overnight" & it initially looked to me like a "cold sore" that you get on you lip -- tiny little water blisters sort of. I first thought that a grain of salt had become lodged underneath it during cooking & had caused a water-blister-like reaction.

Like everyone, I took the ring off, put cortisone & it healed. Put the ring back on & it's back.

I'm afraid to use the peroxide/vinegar solution or to clean it with a toothbrush -- since the one & only time I tried the toothbrush cleaning, one of the diamonds (flush/pavé set) fell out & the ring had to be re-melted & re-made to put the diamond back in. (it's a custom-made ring from a reputable jewelry maker). (Which makes it doubly-irritating -- ha ha --since we chose the rings so as to wear them always -- rings that were extremely well-fitted & comfortable & practical).

Did anyone come in contact with any animal saliva before the rash happened? Seems that if it was a contagious, fungus-like infection that it would spread, no?

Beth Cdeleted
- Toronto, Ontario, Canada

(2006)

I am so glad to have found this site! I too had a horrible rash that would appear after wearing my platinum set for a day and would clear up when I didn't wear them (this started a month ago after wearing the set for 5 years). I went to the dermatologist yesterday and he said it was a nickel allergy and that the platinum coating is wearing off. His suggestions included: finding a clear plastic spacer to put between my rings and the bottom part of my hand, recoat the ring, or reset it in Stainless Steel. I am going to try the vinegar mixture first before checking out other options.

Beth Sdeleted
- Macon, Georgia

(2006)

Q. I have a platinum ring for 3 years. 2 years fine, past year awful and severe red burn-like rash. I'd let it heal and would just come right back. Did this several times but finally just don't wear it now. It's healed but I can't bend that finger back like I can the others. It's as if it got to my joint. I'm so happy to see that so many others have had this happen. My gold wedding ring is fine for 13 years now. I find it ironic that so may platinum wearing people developed this rash usually at the 2 year mark. To me, this tells me that it must be coated and there's nickel underneath. How could a person go about having the tested for types of metal actually in the ring? Who would you call, where could you take it? I really need to know because my dentist is making a bridge for me and it's made out of platinum. I told him no way...but he insists it's the safest metal and that many dentist use nickel but he refuses because he knows it makes people sick. He assumes that there must be nickel in my ring. I think getting a metal allergy test is a great idea but I'd like to get the ring tested as well. Any advice?

Shellie Bdeleted
- St Peters, Missouri

I'm the one that posted my story (see above) already. But wanted to update that I went to an allergist and he tested me for nickel allergy. Wore a patch with nickel in it for 3 days. No reaction. I also ordered a nickel tester kit for the platinum ring. Guess what, no nickel. Now I don't know what to do because the dental work being put in my mouth is going to be platinum. Do I assume I'm allergic and tell him to use something else that's not considered to be as safe as platinum. The dentist is a holistic dentist and really doesn't want to use anything other than his gold/platinum combo. He just doesn't believe anyone could be allergic to platinum. I'll clean it as suggested and see if it's not bacteria or whatever.

Shellie Bdeleted
- St Peters, Missouri

(2007)

I had put my story up a few months back in 06. Basically I had said that after 2 years my platinum ring causes a horrible (very severe and nasty) rash. During that same time I was getting ready to have a crown put in and the dentist (holistic) said he doesn't use nickel, only gold/ platinum because he's found most people are allergic to nickel. I told him that I believed I was allergic to platinum because of the ring. He said that is pretty much unheard of and it probably has nickel in it. So because I was worried about putting this metal in my mouth, I went to an allergist. He didn't have a platinum test because he says he's not aware of that allergy. He did have a nickel test so he did that. It was negative. I also bought a kit to test my ring for nickel. It was negative. I'm now having a blood test done (actually by my dentist) to see what it says (I'm not sure if this blood vs metal compatibility test is just a scam or what....but we'll see what the results are). I just want you guys to know that I tried the mixture that someone recommended before my post and it didn't work. I tried to clean it many other ways as well and didn't work. My skin still reacts to this ring. I'll let you all know what happens with the blood test (if that is for real). I would just sell the ring and move on if it weren't for crown issue.

Shellie Bdeleted
- St Louis, Missouri

I have worn my engagement ring (an antique made of platinum, an older metal) for over a year, but my wedding band is white gold. I too, have had a recent dry, scaly, and red reaction from my rings. I am a hair stylist, so I figured that it was from all of the hair products and shampooing I do daily that created this reaction; however, I've always been allergic to metals in general (belts, necklaces, earrings, etc.). This may be a silly question, but what kind of vinegar are you using for this mixture.. and are you using hydrogen peroxide too? Just want to make sure I'm clear on this antidote... I'm pretty desperate at this point!

Jordan Kdeleted
- Oak Lawn, Illinois

thumbsup2I developed a rash around my platinum eternity band and took your readers' advice and soaked the rings overnight in 2 parts vinegar to one part peroxide and then boiled the rings (I did the same for my 18K yellow gold wedding bands also)for 15 minutes. I also bought antifungal cream and applied it to the affected area and within 24 hours, the rash cleared up entirely. So, I don't know if one or all of the remedies cleared up the rash, but I recommend you do all three - nothing else worked for me.

Claudia Jdeleted
- Grand Rapids, Michigan

++++++

A. So glad to find I am not the only one. I was given a platinum eternity ring this year and it has made my finger so sore, very red and swollen. At first I thought it was soap trapped behind it, so took it off to wash hands, (which I do a lot as I have a 7 month old and 2 other kids) this didn't help was still sore. Tried wearing on the other hand, made that finger sore. I didn't want to have it resized as would mean inserting a piece of platinum in between stones breaking the perfect circle, also would cost more on very expensive ring! My husband came up with the solution NAIL VARNISH. This is what I did when I used to be allergic to nickel in my jeans button. I coated the inside of the ring with the lacquer, and have been wearing the ring with no reaction for over a week, and have been washing my hands as much as ever without taking the ring off.

Carolyn N deleted
- Leeds, Great Britain

A. Well, I was wondering myself if indeed, I was the only one who was suffering from the "finger eating platinum ring controversy"....ALAS....I THINK I HAVE THE ANSWER!
I have read through many of these forums, consulted many of my college physicians....tried hocus-pocus remedies (even did the vinegar/H202 soaks.) Anyway, I went to my personal physician finally today. DIAGNOSIS= Dyshidrotic Eczema. My signs and symptoms were the same as all of every one else's. My physician reassured me....even after my story about rhodium in platinum...?allergy. Or, I questioned if it was a fungus because I had even tried using Lotrimin cream on my finger for two weeks, and the rash had even did the same thing on other hand. I even asked if it would be worth while to be allergy tested for metals. Although we are all aware, those of us who wear platinum....no nickel in platinum. As far as the allergy testing, he said that platinum is THE MOST hypoallergenic metal, which is also what my VERY reputable jeweler reassured me of. Both the doctor and my jeweler though did remark the same on one thing; some cleaning solvents used to clean rings with can get stuck into the crevices, and then when we perspire they will seep into our skin, thus causing an irritation. Some people seem to be more sensitive to these solvents than others. So, check with your local jeweler to see what they would recommend to clean each individual type of ring,etc., with. (good old mild soap....[dawn] and water, and rinse really really well, usually works best is what I was told. Also, making sure that hands and ring is kept clean, and dry. My physician prescribed to me today: MOMETASONE FUROATE CREAM 0.1% (WHICH IS GENERIC FOR ELOCON.) I know that some of you have said that you have tried the hydrocortisone cream, (which I also tried-seemed to temporarily help, but only mildly, and then came back) and I told the doctor this today. My physician said that this just wasn't strong enough by a long shot.
Hope this helps!

Jessica C deleted
Nurse - Camby, Indiana

(2006)

Thanks for the info- I was beginning to freak out about my newly developed rash that only showed up after I had been wearing my platinum engagement ring for 6 months with no problem. I will have to use some of these solutions.

Keely B deleted
- Greenville, South Carolina

(2007)

thumbsup2I wrote about my problem in Dec 2006 and thought an update might be beneficial. After reading the previous posts, I scrubbed my ring in the solution of white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide described by a previous person.

I take off my ring every night when I sleep and no longer wear it in the shower. I do not wear it when I work out. I take it off every time I wash my hands (a pain) and dry my fingers thoroughly before putting it back on. Essentially I make sure the skin under the ring never gets damp or wet.

I have not had the rash again.

Keely B deleted
- Greenville, South Carolina

(2007)

A. I have my ring for 5 years now, for the last year I have this rash, that comes and goes, I went to the doctor and she just told me to dry my finger and ring after I wash my hands. Well, it didn't work, I would wait until it heals and put my ring back on, and the rash would come back. Finally, I came up with an idea: I put my baby's diaper rash cream around the rash area, and I didn't have to take the ring off, IT WORKED! I am wearing my ring for the last month now and no rashes, but I put a little (really, just a bit) cream just to make sure, about 3 times a week, before I go to bed. I don't know but worked for me, I believe it is because that cream kills the bacteria caused by humidity. You can try, it will not harm anybody!

Ingrid D deleted
nickel- Lake Worth, Florida

Q. I have the same problem with my new platinum ring as everybody else here. I have developed rash under my ring after 2 weeks. Did anybody try the vinegar & peroxide solution on a platinum ring?

Ivett S deleted
- Austin, Texas

Q. I just found this board after googling for wedding ring rash. It's so nice to know I'm not alone! After wearing my platinum engagement ring for over 5 years, and my platinum wedding ring for over 4, I got this terrible rash on my finger. It's very isolated there. But it's not the flaky rash many of you speak of...more of a blistery, red, swelling that both itches and burns. Does this sound like anything any of you have had? What worked best for it? I managed to get the rings off before my finger swelled too much, and I've been using a hydrocortisone, which is having no effect at best, and possibly making it worse! I have an appointment with a derm tomorrow, but curious if this matched anyone else's symptoms!

Sara Pdeleted
- Atlanta, Georgia

+++++++

A. I have a platinum eternity engagement ring and it's given me the red ring of rash. I used to have eczema as a child and I can tell you this is definitely a form of it. A friend of mine who is a high end jewelry designer said she recommends painting clear nail polish on the inside of the ring to seal it. Will write back with the results.

Julie P deleted
Research - Los Angeles, California

+++++++

I am having a similar experience as others on this posting. I have been married for almost 2 years and this is the first time that my platinum set has done this. I have a red, blister-like rash that burns and itches. If I don't wear my rings for a few days, put hydrocortisone cream on it and keep it dry, it dries up and peels. Then, I think it is cleared up, so I put my rings back on--the rash comes back. I thought, like others, that either I needed to get the ring sized up, was not drying my hands well enough, my ring needed to be cleaned, etc. I am a nurse. I wash my hands many, many times during a day. I also use hand-sanitizer. I tried to stop using the hand sanitizer just to see if that was it--well, it wasn't it! Anyway, all that said--i tried the vinegar and peroxide mixture to clean my rings. Now I'm just waiting for my rash to go away so I can put my rings back on to see if the mixture really worked. So, I will let you know if it worked for me! Thanks!

Miranda T deleted
- Powell, Tennessee

sidebar

I just would like to say that if any woman out there who gets a greenish color under her ring finger without any rash, may be pregnant. I have a 14k wedding ring. not cheap and it turns my ring finger green every time that I am pregnant. This was the only time that it has happened, which seems odd, but was always a sign of pregnancy to me.Just something to think about.

Tamara Mdeleted
- Flint, Michigan,

Q. I also developed an allergy to my white gold ring in the past year, after 30 years of ring-wearing without an issue. Red, flaky, itchy, bumpy contact dermatitis or eczema have been my prognoses. I've heard the stated causes - dirt/chemicals under the ring, metal allergies, etc etc. I've tried over the counter creams and prescription cream steroids but the rash always returned. I was thinking about getting a replacement band in platinum, but not after reading these posts. Doesn't it seem odd that there are so many who "suddenly" acquired this rash on an old ring? I read somewhere that there was a suspected connection between aluminum in underarm deodorants/antiperspirants, and developing metal allergies. Do we all use deodorants with aluminum in them? Is there more aluminum in these suddenly, more than there used to be? Something isn't quite right.

Karen Ddeleted
- Vancouver, Washington

A. Nickel allergy is an acquired intolerance, somewhat like Poison Ivy. It is believed that the principal reason for the skyrocketing incidence of nickel allergy is the skyrocketing incidence of body piercings. This gives a much greater exposure to nickel than the historical average. Aluminum is, if I recall, the 3rd most common element on the planet so as a non-expert I personally think it unlikely to be the cause of a rise in allergies.

Click on graphic for "NickelAlert" test kit:

I bought my wife a new wedding band for our 20th anniversary and we just picked it up today. Within one hour of putting it on her finger has begun itching and turning red. More fuel on the fire I guess but clearly she is reacting poorly to the ring.

Steve Sdeleted
- Irvine, California

Hi. I was interested to see all the others with reactions to platinum. After wearing my platinum engagement ring for a year, and platinum wedding band for six months I developed a dry, scaly rash on one side of my finger. I switched to the right hand and for a while that was okay. But then it developed there too (still only on one side of my finger, toward the middle finger). I've used antibiotic, anti-fungal, anti-itch creams, garlic cloves (mentioned in earlier post which helps heal, but doesn't completely go away), salves, essential oils, etc. etc. The only time mine has completely cleared up was recently when we traveled to the west coast. I'm guessing the extra humidity helped. But, alas, each time I put the ring back on it comes back. I haven't tried cleaning the ring myself. I may try the peroxide/vinegar solution. Incidentally, my rash started after I had the ring appraised by my jeweler. He had also cleaned and polished it. I wonder if it could be a reaction to some of the chemicals used in the cleaning/polishing process. Who knows. Sorry there's so many that have to deal with this. Strange isn't it?

Rachel P deleted
- Exeter, New Hampshire

Q. I also wear (did wear) a platinum wedding ring, no problems for 3 years, then I had twins and 5 mos after I delivered my finger broke out in a rash. I have tried vinegar solution and all the creams and nothing has worked so far. I think it has something to do with hormones?

Jennifer E deleted
- Corte Madera, California

Count me as another member in your group. Platinum eternity diamond engagement ring and eternity diamond wedding band worn for approx. 2 years with no problems. Now for the past few months I have been battling a rash on my ring finger that won't go away. Tried over-the-counter creams and finally went to the dermatologist today. He said that he has no doubt that it is an allergy and gave me a prescription cream called "Vanos" (fluocinonide cream 0.1%). I am going to try the vinegar & peroxide solution (but am afraid to boil them!) as well as wear the ring on my other hand to see if it happens to that finger as well. I, like a few of the other posters, did have a baby about 1 year ago. Not sure if that has anything to do with my sudden allergy.

Elaine deleted
- Silver Spring, Maryland

I have also developed an allergy to my white gold wedding set and considered switching to platinum. I spoke with the design specialist at my jewelers, and she said that she also has an allergy to white gold, and that platinum is not the answer because of the COBALT alloy used in platinum, since platinum is nickel-free. It looks like 14k yellow gold is my best bet. So, the allergic reactions you are all exhibiting may be due to the cobalt used in making your platinum rings.

Gabrielle H deleted
- Pennsauken, New Jersey

Unfortunately, I don't have anything new to add, but am relieved to find others with similar problems.

11 months ago, I had a baby and have been battling with a dry, flaky, red, itchy rash under my platinum wedding & engagement bands since shortly after my son's birth. I thought it was due to hand-washing (I'm a mom & a nurse so I wash my hands A LOT!) or the alcohol-based hand sanitizer used at work, but no matter what I did to alter my habits, the rash would still reappear after putting the ring back on.

I've tried neosporin, cortisone, and various steroid creams. I do have a history of eczema and EXTREMELY sensitive skin (hence the platinum bands) and had never thought about the possibility that it could be hormone related...hmm, might have to chat with the doctors about this one. Thanks for the info & good luck to all! If anyone comes up with anything, please post!

Courtney L deleted
- Charlottesville, Virginia

Q. I wore my 14k wedding set for 23 years before just becoming allergic to it overnight. First I got a red ring around my finger and I also switched it to the other hand and got the same result. I also had 14k diamond earrings that I always wore with the ring. Last summer I got a rash all over my whole body. It itched badly! I went to the dermatologist and he thought I was allergic to nickel and said there can be a small amount of nickel in all metals besides platinum. I had to take steroids to get rid of the rash. He put a nickel patch on my arm that I wore for three days and took off with NO red spot. I told the doctor there was no spot, but he still thought I was allergic to nickel. It was my 25th wedding anniversary this January so my husband just bought me a new platinum wedding set and I'm already starting to itch all over my body. There is no red ring on my finger though and that doesn't itch at all. After reading these messages I realized I have metal in a dental implant. I have to find out what kind of metal that is. Has anyone else had a rash all over their body from this? I am 49 and am starting menopause and wondering if hormones are playing a part. I have to find a solution to be able to wear my new ring.

Dawn L deleted
- St. Louis, Missouri

(2007)

Well, right now my house smells like cooking vinegar and peroxide - my rings are boiling away and you should see all the bubbles coming from the diamonds! I have worn my 14k gold ring for six and a half years and all of a sudden I got the itchy red rash under my ring, I took it off and put Lotramin anti fungal spray on my hand and it cleared up.
Wore the ring for a day - and BAM it was back again itching more than the first time. I was hesitant to boil my ring but figure its worth a try.
HOPEFULLY this will cure my ills - I will post again as soon my itchy ring finger heals and I try to wear the ring.
THANKS FOR THE ADVISE, HERE I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE WITH THIS PROBLEM.

Linda D deleted
- Hamburg, Pennsylvania

----
Ed. note: Promises, promises. Where are you, Linda? It's 2013 -- hope you haven't been waiting 6 years for it to heal :-)

thumbsup2How thankful am I that there is the technology to reach a forum on this subject! I, like so many others have dealt with a red, itchy, blistery rash on my ring finger over the course of many months. I suddenly got the problem after wearing my platinum wedding band (my platinum engagement ring doesn't bother me) after 13 years! I tried cleaning it and using cortisone cream, to no avail. I was convinced there was nickel in the ring. My husband even got me a new wedding band for Christmas - but after 6 months the rash came back! SO - I read about the peroxide/vinegar solution and boiling it for 15 minutes...and so far, so good! The sonic jewelry cleaner I have clearly isn't good enough...I'm sticking to the boiling routine.

Lisa P deleted
- Cincinnati, Ohio

I agree with everyone else, it's nice to know I'm not alone! I have a 4-month old and wash my hands constantly - I noticed the rash under my rings while on vacation in the Bahamas. I thought it was the heat or maybe the water there, who knows - but I will say, it's not an allergy. I worked for Tiffany & Co., and I know that platinum is the best metal for people who have allergies, it's virtually impossible (very rare) to be allergic to platinum. Also, for those of you who suffer along with me, take off your watches when you shower...I've now not only got a rashy ring finger but a red circle on my arm where my watch face (stainless steel) got some moisture and dirt under it. Nothing on my arm where the bracelet (also stainless steel) is, just the face. So there goes the metal allergy theory - the myth is BUSTED!I'm trying the boiling thing as I type this! Thank you to those who suggested it!

Margie Ddeleted
- Pompano Beach, Florida

Q. I came across this site after googling platinum and dermatitis. I had to take off my platinum engagement and wedding rings during dinner last night - while I was celebrating my 10th wedding anniversary! I have worn these rings continuously (in the shower, at the beach, overnight!) with no problems but in the last year or so have had to take the rings off due to a flaky, itchy, blistery rash. I have tried all types of creams, including anti-fungal (which didn't work). Some creams would provide temp. relief. I am afraid to boil my rings but after reading these posts it may be the only solution!

Are the rings boiled in the vinegar/peroxide? or just soaked in it then boiled in water? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Melissa Bdeleted
- E. Greenwich, Rhode Island

thumbsup2Just want to give everyone an update. I soaked my rings in the vinegar/peroxide solution for about an hour. Then I boiled them in water for 15 minutes. I waited until my rash healed before I started wearing my rings again - but I am happy to report that I have been wearing the rings again with no problem. I am optimistic since this rash would appear within a day of wearing the rings. I am so glad to have come across the information here. I starting having this problem after wearing my platinum rings for almost 10 years! Thanks to everyone who posted!

Melissa Bdeleted
- East Greenwich, Rhode Island

I can't believe there are other people with this same problem.

A few weeks ago I slid off my ring and noticed a red scaly rash. I made the mistake of continuing to wear my platinum engagement and wedding band and the rash turned to small blisters on the middle finger side of the finger. I would stop wearing the ring, let the finger heal and try the rings on again. The rash reappeared. I tried just wearing my wedding band because I thought it was the two rings together pinching the skin. that didn't work. I used to wear my ring in the shower, to sleep, all the time.

I am going to try and peroxide and vinegar solution this evening. This is the most annoying thing to ever happen.

Jeannie Ldeleted
- Washington, DC

1     2     3