-- The Home Page of the Finishing Industry

The Hotline: Serious Education ... plus the most fun you can have in metal finishing. Ted Mooney, Webmaster

Removing scratches in polished nickel faucets

I recently had polished nickel fixtures installed in my bathroom (both sink and shower) and after the plumber left I noticed some scratches on the faucet for the sink. Is there anything I can do to soften them or cover up?

Andrea Johnson
Homeowner - San Diego, California, USA

It's all about the polishing, the easiest way would be to get a multitool (Dremel [linked by editor to product info at Amazon]) and a few jeweler's polishing wheels (they make them for multitools).

Otherwise, remove the faucet, hand sand with 300, 600, then 1200 wet sandpaper (use oil instead of water). Next if you have a bench grinder or angle grinder use a buffing wheel with white rouge [linked by editor to product info at Amazon], to get a rough polish, then move on to a finer rouge.

Marc Banks
- Elizabeth City, North Carolina

©1995-2015     -    Privacy    -    Search