The finishing.com Hotline -- Serious Education ... plus the most fun you can have in metal finishing

Refinishing polished brass faucet that turned silver

++++

We are remodeling our bathroom and we tried cleaning our polished brass faucet; well we cleaned it with vinegar and now we have a silver faucet. How can we or what can we do, to get our polished brass faucet back? is there a way to refinish our faucet in polish brass?

Simon Heridis
homeowner - Los Angeles, California U.S.A.

++++

It sounds like you managed to induce a chemical reaction on the metal that was plated over the faucet, you have either removed the coating or changed it's color. Try using Brasso [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] or Nevr-Dull [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] to restore the original color, if that doesn't work you will need to get it replated by a professional plating company.

Marc Banks
- Elizabeth City, North Carolina

++++

What you are looking at is not silver but probably the nickel underplate over which a thin brass plate had been. You can not get the brass back, it is gone. Depending on the cost of the fixture it would probably be best to get a new fixture, one of the ones which is protected by a "plastic" layer (generally have a long term tarnish warranty)

Gene Packman
process supplier - Great Neck, New York

+++++

I have used a stripper for removing lacquer from the faucet but it does not touch it. What can I use to strip the old lacquer finish? Also what is the best lacquer to use?

Mike Thompson
handyman - Mobile, Alabama

+++++

Is there a good reason for confidence that the faucet is brass? The newer "lifetime" finishes are zirconium nitride or other PVD processes. And some faucets that look like brass are a brass-tinted electrophoretic lacquer on top of nickel plating--remove the 'lacquer' and you've removed the brass color.

Ted Mooney   Teds signature

Hi, with regard to the brass colour being gone as you stated, I have the same kind of fittings and they are scratched, is there anything I can do?

Michael Leahy
- Ireland

My brass kitchen faucets from Chicago Faucet need refinishing. How do I remove "plastic finish" and what do I use for the new lacquer finish?

janice mickelson
- Fergus Falls, Minnesota