Melting down old gold to make new jewelry

++++

Q. Hi All, I have a lot of 9k & 18k gold rings and necklaces and I wanted to get them melted down and remodeled into new jewellery, however I have been told that although a jeweler will take my gold it will probably end up in a scrap box and new gold will be used. Is this true?

Kelly B deleted
homeowner - Perth, Western Australia, Australia

++++

A. Gold and other fine jewelry that starts off as a cast piece is made from a process called vacuum casting, the hot metal is poured in a molten state into the mold then the pressure in the mold is reduced to about 2.0 atmospheres or so (which if memory serves is not very much). This forces the metal into all the nooks and crannies, giving you a near perfect positive of your mold.

The reason that most jewelers do not do common vacuum casting is that it is prohibitively expensive, the basic smelting equipment is almost 500 bucks. The stuff for the casting is almost 10,000 USD Hope that explains it.

Marc Banks
- Elizabeth City, North Carolina

A. Kelly,
the reason most jewelers won't cast with scrap gold is because you have solder joints in the scrap gold. When the scrap is cast you may get porosity or discolorations in the finished piece. hope this helps.

Peter Bochniak
master jeweler - Algonquin Illinois

Q. I am trying to figure out how to remove gold from jewelry. I want to buy old gold plate jewelry & separate it to make a gold brick. 1st of all, is it worth it? My goal was to buy it (jewelry) for $9.00 a gram for 10K & $10 a gram for 14K. Would it be worth while or Profitable to do this? So, how to remove it and is it worth it? Thanks, Tony

Tony O deleted
potential buyer - Springfield, Oregon, USA

A. Be aware that recovering the gold from solid gold jewelry is one thing: 10K gold being 10 parts gold out of 24. But recovering gold from gold plated jewelry is something entirely different because the plating is likely to be only millionths of an inch thick. There is probably far more gold in one 10K ring than in a hundred plated ones.

Q. If you wanted to melt down different jewelry with different K value, how are you able to determine the quality or K or the newly formed item?

chris Beaumont
hobbyist - Melbourne, Victoria

Q. I received an 18k plated gold ring not wanting to keep it is it worth anything in the scrap gold stores for melting please reply cheers John

John Byrne
student - NSW

A. Hi, John.

Try to sell it on ebay or Craigslist if you don't like it. It's worth almost nothing in intrinsic metal value.

Q. Hi I have a couple of Rings and I have about 6 pins and they all are gold Plated. How much can I sell them for. Thanks.

debbie beck
- tacoma Washington

Hi Debbie. Try to sell them as jewelry on Ebay where their beauty may offer some value. There are "We buy gold" stores on every other street corner these days, but gold plating is so thin that you'll find that there is almost no intrinsic metal value and they probably don't even want them for free. Sorry.