Methods of Resizing Platinum Rings

++++

I recently had my platinum engagement ring (which I had for 3 years prior) and my platinum wedding band (which I just received) enlarged 1/2 size. I immediately noticed that not only did my engagement ring look smaller in terms of depth but the width of the sides were not even. I have confirmation from my jeweler that contrary to what I was told would be the procedure to enlarge the ring, it was, in fact, "reamed out" of the middle. Over 1 gram of platinum was removed from each ring. I was told that this was necessary due to the channel set diamonds and gold accents and the heat required to manipulate platinum would destroy and/or damage the diamonds and the accents. My question is: is this standard procedure and is there any way to add platinum back to the ring?

Shannon Weiler
Pot and Window, LLC - Mesa, Arizona, USA

++++

I AM HAVING A PLATINUM RING BEING MADE. THE CAST WAS SHOWN TO ME BEFORE THE DIAMONDS WERE MOUNTED. THE PLATINUM, COMPARED TO THE SAME FINISHED RING IN 18KWHITE GOLD, WAS MUCH DARKER. THE JEWELER SAID THAT THE PLATINUM RING STILL HAS TO BE SHINED AND POLISHED. IS PLATINUM DARKER THAN WHITE GOLD, BEFORE POLISHING AND SHINING? THANK YOU.

MARIA V.
STUDENT - HICKSVILLE, New York

Gold & Platinum Jewelry Buying Guide

++++

All metals are darker before finishing, you have a rougher surface with refracts and reflects light differently, and casts small shadows on the surface. And so the polish makes it bright.

Marc Banks
- Elizabeth City, North Carolina

+++++

A few months ago I had my marquise diamond set in a heavy platinum setting that had invisible set diamonds on three sides of the shank.

The jeweler insisted that I should get a size 7. When the ring setting came in from the manufacturer, it was too tight for my finger. The jeweler assured me that it was not a problem. They sent it to their corporate office where they had special laser equipment to do the sizing.

Recently they cleaned and inspected the ring and told me that the stones are loose. They took the ring and said they can tighten them.

I have heartburn over this. Can this setting be adjusted well enough to make it right or will this be an ongoing problem?

I do not wear this ring at home. Only to the office and when I go out. PLEASE advise me. Should I be given a new setting or will this one be alright?

Gloria Madaffari
- Hamilton, Ohio

+++++

Sounds like the ring was designed poorly. At least that are reputable enough to fix their product, most invisible settings have problems due to design.

Marc Banks
- Elizabeth City, NC USA

February 20, 2011appended

Hi, I want to buy a ring but it has been platinum finished. If I get it resized (smaller) will it ruin the finish? Thanks Louise

Louise Kitt
London Borough of Barking and Dagenham - Grays