-- The Home Page of the Finishing Industry

The Hotline: Serious Education ... plus the most fun you can have in metal finishing. Ted Mooney, Webmaster

Adhesive for Polypropylene

I am a research assistant for an Earring distributor. We have came across a problem with the current glue that we are using and need assistance in finding an answer. The type of product that we use for our earring post is made of polypropylene. The adhesive that we are currently using will not adhere to the product with out causing a meltdown in the structure. If anyone would possibly have some suggestions as to what type of adhesive works best with a polypropylene product, and could forward them on, I would really appreciate it.

Sarah Entrikin
earrings - Bunker Hill, Illinois

Try 3M DP 8005 or 8010 structural adhesive, it's designed to glue PP.

Ricardo Carrilero
- Madrid, Spain

Hi I am Narn From print to pack India -I have PP 20 micron plastic carton contract.. .please advise which adhesive would be suitable means for clear and best bonding result

please advise asap

Narendra vyas
manufacturer - bangalore-India

3M Acrylic Structural Adhesive

I had the exact same problem and tried a couple of glues. Most of them didn't stick well to the PP (= waste of time).

Then I had the idea to try a (hot) glue gun. I first wiped the spot to be glued with mineral spirits and let it dry (to remove any oily residues on the PP). Then I applied the glue with the (hot) glue gun. The attachment is perfect. It is as fast a bond as can possibly be, the glue is like welded with the PP and you cannot separate it at all. It is as if the glue and the PP are now one single piece of plastic.

For specifics, I used an "Arrow MT300 Mini Glue Gun" (about $9 at Hardware stores, it came with 3 spare glue sticks in the package), but I think the make or model of the glue gun doesn't matter at all. Any hot glue gun should work.

To use a hot glue gun really seems the perfect way to glue PP! Happy glueing, and cheers to all!

Hella Kitty
- Paris, Sorbonne, France

The hot glue idea is brilliant! Other sites say polypropylene can only be bonded with heat, and that's what happens with hot glue. I did a test bond and couldn't pry it apart with a knife. Excellent!

John Kellam
- Tucson Arizona USA

I sent an email request to 3M, and they replied that 3M Hi-Strength 90 Spray Adhesive is suitable for polypropylene, polyethylene, and other materials.

Brad Jones
- LaGrange, New York USA

Q. Hi. I need a polypropylene adhesive that repairs polypropylene pipes.

Ali Movla
- Qushchi, west Azarbaijan, Iran

3M Spray Adhesive #90

©1995-2015     -    Privacy    -    Search