-- The Home Page of the Finishing Industry

The Hotline: Serious Education ... plus the most fun you can have in metal finishing. Ted Mooney, Webmaster

We can't remove old plastic protection film from our stainless tanks

Q. I manufacture stainless steel tanks and we stored some tanks with the protective plastic film still attached. My problem is that the film is now very difficult to remove and we are having to use a steam cleaner which is time consuming. Is there an alternative which would not damage the brushed finish?

Charles Sargent
Custom made stainless steel products - Valletta, Malta

A. I have never heard of this problem but I think you should look into Dry ice blasting. This is a fast effective easy of removing adhesives or other problem substances from any surface.

Jon English
- London, Ontario, Canada

Q. I would be very interested to find a solution for this problem as well. We stored some stainless sheets in our warehouse for a year or so and are now trying to scrape off the protective covering; it's quite a chore. A way to help get the plastic off easier would be great. Thanks!

Jeremy Vogan
- New Orleans, Louisiana

Q. Is there an easy way to remove the plastic covering on sheet copper without damaging the finish? The copper was stored outside through several summers and the plastic has really "baked" onto the copper. I've tried some solvents (MEK / methyl ethyl ketone), De-Solv-It [linked by editor to product info at Amazon], and trying to carefully scrape it off without much luck.

Darren Kimzey
- Joplin, Missouri

(2007) -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. The fireplace doors in our home (installed by the previous owner) still have the protective plastic coating on the brass, which was used by the manufacturer/shipper to protect the metal during shipping and installation. The previous owner did not remove this coating upon installation and now after many fires, it is difficult to remove. What can be used to remove the coating without harming the brass?

Kay Oster
homeowner - Bloomington, Illinois

A. Apparently from reading the questions listed above I would presume that there is not a cost effective technique to accomplish this task -- I find that hard to believe.

Graham Halston
general contractor - Colfax, California

A. Hi, Graham. Some problems are pretty common, which can result in us having more than one thread on similar subjects. Letter 25827 has more ideas for you. Good luck

Ted Mooney,

A. I bought a stainless steel dual-fuel range for my wife for about half the price of a new model. Someone had purchased it years earlier and never peeled off the protective plastic and never installed it. I was really frustrated trying to remove the plastic bit by bit scraping with my fingernail, until I discovered a great method.

I started to use my fingernail in the center of a patch of plastic instead of the edge. It turned a brighter shade of white. At first I thought I might have just scratched the surface but then realized that scraping on the plastic actually broke it free underneath. Once you see the bright white appear, you can work it all the way to an edge.

My wife saw what I was doing and grabbed a plastic cooking spoon that worked much better than a fingernail. Do not use it to try to scrape like a putty knife from the edges, use it to scrape the plastic from the center, while working to the edges. This stretches the film slightly and breaks its bond at the surface of the metal. Once you turn everything bright white, you can peel the sheet off in one piece.

I still have to deal with the adhesive residue that is left behind, but after reading about the methods others have written about in the thread that Ted linked to above, I don't think that will be a problem.

Phil Rinella
- Lock Haven, Pennsylvania

A. I figured out if you apply Mineral sprits with a paint brush, and let set in the sun, the mineral sprits migrates under the white film and makes the film release and crinkle up. Allow a day or two

Jason Krauss
- Blanchester ohio USA

©1995-2015     -    Privacy    -    Search