What is MIL-STD-171 5.3.1.2 or 5.3.2.2

++++

I do the purchasing and quoting for a small job shop and am trying to find out what 5.3.1.2. or 5.3.2.2 of MIL-STD-171 is. I would greatly appreciate any help.

Greg T deleted
Job Shop - Houston, Texas

++++

Greg, you can find Military Specifications on the web pretty easily- currently http://assist.daps.dla.mil/quicksearch/ works, but if the DoD changes it just type in "Military Specification" in Google, and you'll get there. Anyway, in Revision E, paragraph 5.3.1.2 deals with Chemical Agent Resistant Coatings (CARC), and there is no 5.3.2.2. Perhaps your request refers to an earlier revision of Mil-Std-171.

Lee Gearhart
metallurgist
East Aurora, New York

++++

MIL-STD-171E concerns Phosphate finishes for iron & low alloy steels. 5.3.1.2. is Phosphate Type M per DOD-DTL-16232 [link is to spec at TechStreet, German only] Class 2, is with a supplementary treatment with lubricating oil conforming to MIL-L-3150 & 5.3.2.2. is Phosphate Type Z per DOD-P-16232 Class 2 with preservative conforming to MIL-PRF-16173 [link is to free spec at Defense Logistics Agency / dla.mil] , grade 3 or MIL-L-3150 (as alternate for very small parts) Hope this helps.

Marie M deleted
- Santa Fe Springs, California, USA

+++++++

I am working on a dwg. and need help, it calls out the following spec, I will type exactly as I see it called out.
Protective Finish:

Finish 3.3.1.3 OR 5.3.2.3
Plus 30.7 TYPE 111 OF MIL-STD-171, .0002-.0003 THICK

CAN YOU PLEASE HELP?

Daniel White
- Appleton, Wisconsin

Marie M's answer is the correct one! Mil STD 171 is the standard for industry to coat bare metals to a certain specification for the Department of Defense. MIL-STD-193 is the standard for CARC.

William Dewberry
US ARMY RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT LAB - Picatinny Arsenal New Jersey

5.3.1.1, 5.3.1.2 and 5.3.1.3 are all heavy manganese phosphate coating designations found in MIL-STD-171

Dennis Johnson
- Marion, Iowa, USA

QUESTION IS WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE IN THE 2 VS 3 IN 5.3.1.2 MIL-STD-171 AND 5.3.1.3

Thinking difference is .2 for oiling parts and .3 for not oiled parts to be painted?

Matt DuVall
- Bloomington, Minnesota, USA

Sorry, I was lost at first, as Lee was, because this spec has a section 5.3.1.2, but that's not not what you are talking about . . . you are talking about finish number 5.3.1.2 and 5.3.1.3, from Table V

30872

Although phosphated parts that are not oiled usually get painted, I don't see this specification demanding that they be painted.