Lawnmower coating -- primers, anti-stick?

++++

I HAVE A JOHN DEERE MOWER DECK AND I NEED TO REPAINT IT WOULD POWDER COATING BE THE WAY TO DO WITH THIS? IT IS A STEEL DECK SO IF I DO SCRATCH IT I WOULD THINK IT WOULD RUST IF THEY POWDER COAT IT WITHOUT USING A PRIMER. DO MOST COMPANIES USE PRIMER OR JUST PAINT? WHAT DO YOU THINK WOULD BE THE BEST WAY FOR ME TO GET THE REPAINTING DONE?

THANK YOU,

JACK STRINGFELLOW
LAWN - SHELBY, North Carolina

++++

I don't know specifically what John Deere does, Jack, and if they didn't write it up in advertising literature, I guess we won't know. But, in general, equipment of this sort is usually phosphatized, electrocoat primed, and then either powder coated or (less likely) spray painted & baked.

If you want to have it professionally powder coated, they can strip the old coating and appropriately pretreat it if you wish. If you are repainting it yourself, I'd suggest cleaning it with detergent and a scrub brush, rinsing it well, and then brush or spray painting it. While priming scratched areas is possible, if you are doing paint-on-paint, no metal pretreatment or priming is done.

++++

Is there anyway that the deck on a lawn mower could be coated with Teflon or some other substance that would keep the grass from sticking to it or could just be washed off.

Charles A. Hatmaker
HomeOwner Part Time Farmer - LaFollette, Tennessee, USA

+++++

Any reason not to hot-dip galvanize it?

Chris Woods
- Tauranga, New Zealand

++++++

Would you recommend a rubberized gravel guard be sprayed under my mower deck. Will I have a discharge problem ? My unit is our "Canadian Tire " brand, cheap and ,at two years old and given the amount of rust I ground off,the original paint is not the answer. Thank you,

Roy Killam
- Yarmouth, N.S., Canada

You would need to know a lot about the design to know whether a heavy rubberized gravel guard could be used without introducing friction or clearance problems, and I don't know those answers, Roy. But in the spirit of not building onto a shack, I don't think it's practical to greatly improve upon the OEM paint job. I would finish up your grinding job with Naval Jellyamazoninfo and then paint it.

Chris is right that hot dip galvanizing would be a nice answer, but it sounds impractical due to the difficulty of finding a galvanizing shop and dealing with their minimum charge. But maybe a zinc-rich cold galvanizing spray [linked by editor to product info] is a good answer.

Cold Galvanizing Spray

Industrial mowers are coated with a Graphite Paint even John Deere. It bonds down to the pores of the metal and only the surface wears which needs touch-up. Graphite has been used for a very long time to retard rust and act as a dry lubricant to keep grass/debris from sticking and eliminating buildup. You will find it used in all Agricultural Applications and Equipment. It is cost effective and efficient solution to your question. Search by - lawn mower undercoating or graphite paint. I hope this solves your problem. David

David Lukes
- Waleska, Georgia

May 30, 2012appended

Q. I would like to spray a coating on the underside of my lawnmower deck to keep grass from sticking. HELP.

JOHN HAYDON
- Temple, Texas, USA

Graphite Paint