What paint do I use on a metal mailbox?

++++

I am going to be painting on a metal mailbox. I need to know how to prep it and what type of paints are best to use. I also would like to know what to put on after I am done to prevent any peeling. I've never painted on metal before and have the simplest of resources. HELP.

Amy Gerardi
hobbyist - Greenfield Center, New York, United States

++++

It's not a complicated thing, Amy. Go to the hardware store or paint store and look for the aisle of Rustoleum, or Krylon, or other consumer-oriented project paints. Find one that says it okay for metal (or has a picture of it applied to metal), in either a spray can or a small can for brush-on (your preference). The instructions on the back will tell you to scrape or sand loose paint and rust, and to wash and rinse. Just follow the instructions on the can. I don't think you want to put anything on top of the paint, because peeling is not caused by a shrink-wrap effect breaking, it's caused by poor adhesion of the paint to the mailbox.

+++++

We have a mailbox with enamel paint (brand new) and want to repaint it. What is your recommendation for type of paint? I have seen suggestions for acrylic and latex. Does it have to be sandpapered first if there is no flaky paint?

Stephanie Sears
- Dalton, Massachusetts

I'd like to mention that I just did a little project to spruce up the ol' mailbox. I just a combination of Krylon, Osh's brand, and some cheap Walmart stuff. If your going to use any of these spray paints I'd suggest getting a sanding block from 3M. Usually any ultra fine grit will do. I have a 320 grit and a 400 grit. Really if your only going to spray 1 color then you just want to knock down the "shine" or the gloss on the mail box. If you have cracking paint because of abuse and weather whipped then I'd rather go down to bare metal and spray a nice primer spray then scuff with said block and then the final coat. I just took the masking tape off of my box and I am going to level everything tomorrow afternoon with a 1000grit then 1500grit sandpaper. If I can find a way I'll post pictures. Hope some of what I just wrote is of some help to someone :) Cheers!

Simon Hernandez
- Hesperia, California, USA