The finishing.com Hotline -- Serious Education ... plus the most fun you can have in metal finishing

What is degassed water?

++++

Q. Hi there.

I have a experiment I'm trying to perform; it has to do with degassed water. What is degassed water and how do I obtain it?

Josh H. [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
hobbyist - Anaheim, California

++++

A. The simplest thing for a hobbyist to do is to boil it, put it in a capped jar, cool in a fridge and use immediately. The big boys would just bubble argon or nitrogen in it for several minutes. What you are doing is removing the CO2 and a trace of oxygen. Results in a big change on a conductivity meter.

(2006)

Q. I want to know how to make a degassed water?

Mehdi Musawir
- United Kindgom

(2006)

A. Hi, cousin Mehdi. In what way was James Watts' answer insufficient for you? If you can phrase your question in terms of what has already been said, rather than starting over, people will have a clearer picture of what help you need. Thanks!

Ted Mooney   Teds signature

A. Degassification is a process of gas removal from Water. In water treatment either CO2 or O2 is removed from Water. Gases are present in the intermolecular spaces in the water. These need to be removed. In CO2 removal, the basic principal is to expose these gases to atmosphere by spraying them. The water is pumped from the top of the DG tower & the water falls over a set of Pall Rings which splashes the water into fine droplets & the gas i.e. CO2 escapes into the atmosphere.

Krissy KV
- Hyderabad, AP, India

Q. Would be easier to put it in a degassing vacuum cylinder?
Would this work instead of the boiling process?

Sergio Salinas
- Redwood City, California

A. Hi, Sergio. I doubt that Josh and other hobbyists have access to degassing vacuum cylinders -- so boiling still sounds like the answer for them. If your situation is other than as a hobbyist, please tell us about it so that answers can be targeted towards your needs (which may be quite different than Josh's). Thanks.

Ted Mooney, finishing.com   Teds signature

A. Try a degassing contactor. It is a polypropylene, hollow fiber, porous membrane used for degassing or gassifying solutions.

Andy Hooper
- Charlotte, North Carolina. USA

I have a choice of Argon or Nitrogen for degassing an aqueous solution. Doesn't anyone know the best one to use to remove oxygen.

Cheers
Dave

David Thomson
- Brusbane, Queensland, Australia

A. Hi, David. Nitrogen is less expensive, so use that unless there is a reason not to.

"Degassing" may mean slightly different things to some people in a few circumstances, and argon is a noble gas whereas nitrogen is not.

br

A. Watch this movie, 0:45 seconds in and further, for an easy way to degas water on a small scale

Konrad Madry
- Szczecin, Poland

thumbsup2Thanks Konrad!

Broken links are so common that we like to give the readers the gist of the link so they are not left clueless if the link breaks: Konrad's suggestion involves the use of syringes with which you can easily apply a vacuum to assist in degassing.

Q. I have a water based ACR phantom, model J9565. It has a large bubble and needs to be filled. Where can I buy the water it has, and would be okay if i fill this ACR phantom with distilled de-gassed water? Your comments please

Mohammad Khan
King Abdul Aziz med city - Riyadh saudi Arabia

Q. Hi Guys,

I would like to degasify the water as much as possible without supplying any CO2 to the water. Basically, we do not want any kind of gases in the water. Which kind of technology do you suggest to me?

As far as I could understand, MEMBRANE WATER DEAERATION can remove the highest amount of air from the water compared to the other technologies. Right?

What about the cost? Is this system much more expensive compared to the others?

Ali

Alireza Gh
- Freiburg, Germany

A. Guten Tag Alireza.

I do not know the volume of water that you wish to degass.
You might try using ultrasonics. As with any system for degassing, I would think the water needs to be stored in a container, to avoid any oxygen to be re-absorbed.
Again you have not given volumes and the process application.
I have used oxygen scavenging chemistry in Reverse Osmosis water used in boiler operation.

Alles Gute und Viel Gluck!

Eric Bogner
Lab Tech. - Whitby, on, Canada

A. You should do an internet search for "membrane degassifiers".

The are excellent and don't add any impurities to the water.

Lyle Kirman
consultant - Cleveland, Ohio