Gold plating on ABS plastic

+

RFQ: I have some plastic parts for my street rod that need to be gold plated. Only part of some of these parts are to be gold plated. The rest is to be left black plastic. I had a person in CA do some but he is not available anymore. (Items such as trim around power window switch, the levers on the switch itself.)

Edward Pdeleted
- Pottstown, Pennsylvania, USA
outdated

++++

Q. This is a question from my polymer course at university. What and how are the process of gold plate on ABS plastic? Could you please help me? Thank you a lot!

Maria Lins
student - São Paulo, Brazil

++++

A. Hi, Maria.

If you look at a chrome plated grill or bezel on an automobile, you will see that it is chrome plated plastic, and probably ABS. Gold plating of ABS would be the same process except the final layer would be gold plating instead of chrome plating.

The earlier steps would include etching (ABS is a two-component plastic, and one of them dissolves in strong chromic-sulfuric acid, putting a good "tooth" on the surface), seeding with a palladium colloid, electroless nickel plating the palladium, and then electrolytic nickel plating. For automotive quality there are usually a few more steps, including copper plating between the electroless nickel and the nickel plating.

There is plenty of info about plating of plastic available on this site and the rest of the web, and authoritative information can be found in plating texts and the journals serving the plating industry. Best of luck.

asep book
"Standards and Guidelines for Electroplated Plastics"

by A.S.E.P.

++++

Dear Mr. Ted Mooney, thank you for helping me with my question.

Maria Lins
- São Paulo, Brazil

+

RFQ: I need to have a cast acrylic part (a prototype of a cap for a jar, 3 5/8 dia. 9/16 high) electroplated gold. Any help regarding the process and where I could have it done would be appreciated.

Doug Ldeleted
- NYC, New York
outdated

July 22, 2008appended

Q. I'm working in an electroplating company.please;

I want to know how I can plate plastics by gold or silver.

marwa nour eldin
electroplating lab assistant - Egypt , Cairo

A. Hi, Marwa. Please ask around among your peers to try to find a copy of "Standards and Guidelines for Electroplated Plastic". This is the best single source for that info. Good luck.