Marking system for plated rings

Hundreds of questions about the markings on rings...
If you will be asking a question, please e-mail a photo of the markings in question to letters@finishing.com -- there are tens of thousands of hallmarks and it has proven impractical to even guess whether letters marked on a ring describe its content, a hallmark of the maker, or just the initials of the owner :-)

Meaning of Marking "P14K"

++++

Q. I have recently purchased a ring from the "fine jewelry" counter of a local store, and have realized my ignorance of the marking system for rings. I wanted a silver-colored ring with a blue stone, and have been informed by the sales people that white gold is the way to go. The ring I purchased is white gold with the mark "P14K" inside. What does this mark mean? Is it gold plated silver or merely rhodium plated white gold or something else? Thank you!

Marguerite Hdeleted
consumer - Carmel, Indiana

++++

A. "P" is the maker's mark and 14K is gold content = 58.5% gold.

Neil Bell
Red Sky Plating

Albuquerque, New Mexico

++++++

Q. I recently bought a Garnet & Diamond Ring from a friend and marked on the band reads P14K.....she said it was bought at J.C. Penny ... Does the P stand for the store's identification of is it Plated? Please let me know.

The second ring is a Heart Ring with about 25 little diamonds set in the heart ... It is marked 10K and 5DX8 or 5DXB ... What does this stand for?
Will wait to hear from you ... Thanks for your attention.

Evelyn Hdeleted
- Anchorage, Alaska

A. P stamped in a ring with a 10K or 14K means it is a HIGH QUALITY GOLD called "Plumb" You have to be a registered certified goldsmith to use this type of GOLD. The gold is certified PLUMB HIGH VALUE QUALITY.

There...have a nice evening.

Sing Mia
- Pittsburgh Pennsylvania

A. Thanks, Sing! With your help I now see that in the old days the jewelers petitioned the government for a little leeway on the karat because of such issues as starting with a 14kt ring and then having to do some soldering with a lower karat solder and ending up with slightly less than 14kt on the new overall weight of the ring. Plumb means it's at least 14kt in final form, including solder and everything.

Gold & Platinum Jewelry Buying Guide

Q. My grandma was going through her rings and in the band of one it reads "AP14k" what does this mean? I know 14 k gold but I don't know what the "AP" means. Thank you!

Holly Stoll
- Milford, Pennsylvania

Meaning of marking "MCIAPLAT 436"

++++

Q. I have an old solitaire gold ring. Inside there is no hallmark, but I think it has been made smaller (I have lost most of the hallmarks on my rings by making them smaller.) There is a marking inside it says MCIAPLAT 436. What does that mean? I assume its gold plate?

Helen Pdeleted
- England

A. Hi Helen. I'm no expert on this, but my guess is that the "PLAT" means the ring is platinum, and the 436 probably means that the solitaire is (or originally was) .436 carats.

++++

Q. I was given a white gold ring for Christmas. The band is solid white and has two gold bars on each side of the cluster of diamonds. I looked inside of the ring and it has 10k kfy stamped inside. What does the kfy stand for? This was sold as a white gold ring and not a plated ring. Does the kfy stand for some kind of plate, on the ring?

Jeneen Mdeleted
- Martinsville, Virginia, USA

A. Hi Jeneen. Sounds to me like a 10 kt gold ring, with the rest being maker or designer marks, or maybe even an engraving of the owner's initials.

++++

Q. My husband just bought me a white gold diamond ring. I received a certificate stating it is a 14k white gold ring, but inside the ring it doesn't state that, actually it doesn't have a stamp inside at all. Can a ring without a stamp in it be 14k white gold? And will it pose a problem in the future for my daughter when she inherits it? How important is a stamp in a ring? Thank you a quick response is much appreciated.

Sincerely,

Myrna Mdeleted
- Newark, New Jersey

Meaning of marking "A/C"

++++++

Q. I JUST RECEIVED AN ENGAGEMENT RING. THE RING HAS MARKINGS I DO NOT UNDERSTAND. THE RING IS THE COLOR OF EITHER SILVER, PLATINUM, OR WHITE GOLD. IT DOES NOT STATE 14K, 10K, PT, PLATINUM. IT SIMPLY HAS THE NUMBER 2 ON ONE SIDE AND COPYRIGHT WITH A/C ON THE OTHER. IT HAS THREE DIAMONDS IN THE CENTER AND THREE SMALLER ONES ON EACH SIDE. MY FIANCE NEVER RECEIVED ANY INFO OR CERTIFICATIONS. I PLAN ON GOING TO THE JEWELER TO FIND OUT, BUT PLEASE PROVIDE ME WITH INFO SO I AM PREPARED.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

CHRIS Rdeleted
- NEWPORT, Rhode Island, USA

+++++++

Q. What does it mean when something is stamped with A/C on it? is it white gold?

Roberta Jolivet
student - Florida

+++++++

Hi, folks. I've been unsuccessful googling for "A/C". Weird that it's nowhere to be found on the internet except twice on this page.

Sorry, but as site operator, I can't help with most of these continuing questions because our expertise is metal finishing rather than hallmarking. You're certainly welcome to continue to post your questions here, and with a lot of luck, readers may answer a fraction of them. But asking hallmarking questions in a metal finishing forum is a bit like asking your pewmate in church for a recommendation of a good strip club ... there may be better places to ask :-)

29370

Meaning of "FAS"

+++++++

Q. I have a ring that is stamped either fa9 or fas what does this mean? I want to know what fa9 or fas means , I have a ring with this stamped on the inside?

Jeana Ann Cdeleted
- Denver, Colorado

A. FAS 925 is Sterling silver

Jamie Silvia
- Branchville, New Jersey

Meaning of ... "with an Arrow Through It?"

+++++++

Q. Hi, I was just recently going through a jewelry box of my late great grandmother's and found a beautiful ring that had 1 larger diamond and 4 smaller ones. I tried to do all the little "tests" to see if it is real like blowing hot air (it passed) and scratching glass (it passed) but on the inside of the ring, the only markings are a copyright sign and what looks like an H with an arrow through it? I've tried researching this symbol and came up with nothing. What does it mean?

Ashley McDonald
- Charleston, West Virginia

Q. I have an old ring that I'm not sure where I got it from but all it says on the inside of the band is an 8 and a 0 w/ an arrow through it. ( the arrow is only through the 0) I have no idea if this ring is even worth something let alone what that means.

Nicole Gage
- Portage, Wisconsin, USA

Q. I have a ring white gold? Double heart with diamonds, mark in 14K "W" arrow up to the right "S". Does this mean anything?

Elaine Rusnak
- Scranton, Pennsylvania

A. Hi Elaine

The "14K" certainly means 14 karat gold. The rest is maker's marks that I'm not familiar with.

Q. I recently inherited a lot of jewelry that my grandmother had. Some (if not most) seem to be from HSN or QVC but I found one that is a gorgeous leopard ring with black and onyx gems on it with bright green (emerald) eyes. I can take a picture of it if you'd like. However, it has an "H" with an arrow through it and I can't seem to find anywhere that states what this jeweler mark is. Do you know? Are there other resources online? There is a ton of it - enough that I'm opening up my own small jewelry boutique with the inventory.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time.

Aleena Felts
- King, North Carolina, USA

Q. I have a diamond gold ring; inside the ring is the number 9 and an arrow with the capital letter "U"" in the middle of the arrow. What does that mean and what can you tell me about the ring.
thank you
Richard

RICHARD J MALINOWSKI
- CONCORD, New Hampshire

Q. PLEASE HELP. FOUND A CHILD'S RING. LOOKS TO BE A RUBY SET IN RING. HAS MH WITH ARROW RUNNING COMPLETELY THROUGH IT. CAN ANYBODY INDENTIFY MAKER. LOOKS TO BE FROM 20'S OR 30'S.

RICHARD BEDOSKY
FOUND RING - LEWISBURG Pennsylvania USA

Q. I received a ring from my mother the engrave 14k PAT on the inside what does that mean?

leslie bielavme
- lansford, Pennsylvania

A. Hi, Leslie. I'd be pretty confident that "PAT" is simply an abbreviation for "patented", and that it means they claim a design pattern on the look of the ring.

Q. There are markings on my engagement ring, some of which I'm unsure of what they mean. The first is "14K", which I assume is 14K gold. Following that marking, there appears to be a "10" or it could be a "40" stamped on it. What does that mean. The last marking is "1.00R", which I would like to know what it means. Thanks......

Kelly McCartney
buyer - Hammond, Louisiana

Q. What is my army Ranger ring made of? Inside the ring it says BALFOUTBPS PATPEND and has a "c" with a circle around it

Nicole Graver
- Belfair, Washington

A. Hi, Nicole. Thank you for your service to our country!

BPS is, according to the manufacturer's site, "Balfour Premium Silver", an alloy of silver and palladium. "Patpend" means they are trying to get a patent on this particular alloy, and the c with a circle means they have copyrighted the tradename BALFOURPBS.

Q. Hi, I bought a pearl and gold pendant. It says 14k cp. I was wondering what the cp stands for? Thanks, Patsy

patsy enriquez
medical expert coder - san pedro, California, USA

A. Hi, Patsy. I'm pretty sure that the "CP" means cultured pearl.

Q. Hi There, I have inherited an old ring from the 1920s. Inside the band it has 18K in a larger font and then 14K in a smaller font right beside, and then it has an engraving of a diamond and another little engraving of a swirl pattern. Does anyone have any ideas what these markings mean?

Kate Voyce
- Vancover, British Columbia, Canada

The Meaning of "cTo"

Q. KOCH Anniversary Ring: I have a gold marked 10kt, and a mark "cTo" next to it. Can you tell me what the "cTo" stands for?

Harold Boerstler
Interested Son In Law - Amarillo, Texas, USA

A. Hi, Harold. That's the trademark for O.C. Tanner Jewelry Co.

Q. I see that you answered the marking question re: cto earlier up. but I have a bangle that says made in jamaica WI (WI stands for West Indies with the letters CTO in caps, Sterling after that. I don't think this it the OC tanner company as it is not made in the US. I have looked online to no avail.
Any info great appreciated. I did find an item on ebay no description but it was called vintage

Lynn Rogers
- Newport, Rhode Island

Q. I am looking at a used ring (band) that has "OC14K" inside the band. Does this "OC" stand for the O.C. Tanner Company? Thanks.

jim underwood
- draper, Virginia USA

A. Hi Jim. With a photo, it might be possible to compare against some O.C. Tanner trademarks and take an educated guess; but without a photo, just two letters, and with tens of thousands of makers, and hundreds of thousands of maker marks, it's hopeless to guess. All we can say is odds are probably against because there are so many other makers :-)

Q. Okay this was weird but two days ago I came across and old ring in a box of items I was getting ready to toss. We were having a yard sale and when going through the box in question I found a gold and topaz (I think) ring. I liked it cleaned it up and put it on. Later at the yard sale a couple men that go all over the country looking for antiques and things stopped into our sale. They bought several of my items but when they noticed my ring they REALLY wanted it. I don't know if it's even worth a penny I just like it because it's pretty. But their visit got me wondering more about it. Here's the description and any help giving would be great appreciated. It's a size nine ring 10K gold with eagles on both sides. It's not it doesn't look "manly" enough to be a mens ring so I thinks it for a lady. Inside it's marked with a serial type number, the 10K mark and then the letters MEK. Can anybody tell me what MEK means, I haven't been able to find it anywhere. Thank you in advance for any help given.

Becca Smith
just about anything - Eureka Kansas USA

A. Hi Becca, I had a query similar to yours on a diamond ring I have. it has the 10k VIR on it. I found that this is Virginian gold mined from Virginia (duh) perhaps yours is 10k MEK, which could refer to (this straight from Google)
"Metals Creek Resources Corp. - Home
www.metalscreek.com/
Metals Creek Resources Corp. (the 'Corporation', TSX-V:MEK), is a Canadian TSX venture exchange listed company incorporated under the laws of the ...
News - Contact - Ogden TWP - Corporate Team
MEK.V: Summary for METALS CREEK RESOURCES CORP ...
Perhaps a little more digging could be done.

Gem Caldwell
- Brisbane Qld Australia

A. Hi Gem. Anything is possible, but what would lead you to believe that this mining company even makes rings?

Q. I have a wedding band purchased in 1965. Inside band there are markings: what looks like a capital p dash c . (p-c) an emblem of a pear with a p inside. and 14k. Any idea what these mean?

Larry Creasy
- Maryland Heights, Missouri

Q. The 4 marks on my ring are a follows:

GA OZ 375
Any ideas?

Diane Roy
hobbyist - Winfield, BC, Canada

Q. Hi, I want to know what "14 K MO" mark inside a ring means.
Is MO mark about moissanite instead of diamonds?
It is a white gold ring with little diamonds.

Thanks in advance

Dan Garz
- Columbus, Ohio

Q. Hi - I purchased a ring that I was told was 14k. The marking on the inside of the band says 14k PAT FL-8. After reading some of your answers - I'm wondering if PAT means Patented, but not sure what the FL-8 would mean. Is it plated? Thanks! Tina

Tina Davidson
- Morristown, New Jersey, USA

Warman's Jewelry: Identification and Price Guide

Meaning of "THE LE"

Q. 18k PLAT on one side and THE LE on the other along with a star or diamond shape right after LE. Trying to find out what these markings mean. Please advise.

Arthur Muellr
- Las Vegas, Nevada

Q. Hi
I have a ring that has no hallmark, but does have "THE LE" on the inside! What does this mean I can't find anything on it!

Damon spink
- England

Q. I purchased a very pretty ring with a large stone in center and many little stones around it, the only marking on it is S A, and I can not find what that means, I would appreciate any help on this. I have no idea what kind of metal it is.

Laurie Herting
- Bethel, Minnesota, USA

Q. My ring is opal and diamond. It is white gold I think. What do the numbers inside p with smaller 6 or maybe a t next to 900 mean? then across from that on inside of ring it has 292-034 what does this mean?

Mike Davis
- Michigan

Q. I was recently proposed to! My fiance gave me his mom's ring about which we know nothing (she died when he was really young). I have been wondering what type of ring it was, etc. It appears to be a gold band with a diamond in the shape of a heart. Inside the ring it reads "50" and "B2". What do these markings mean??

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR ANSWERS :).

Kristy Green
- United States

Q. I recently was given a few rings that belonged to my great grandmother. One is a rather thick band with 14K and and R engraved inside a shield. I understand this to be the makers mark. The other ring is a beautiful white gold diamond ring, engraved with 14K and a marking that looks like either a cursive K or a backwards capital "D" and "K" mashed together. Does anyone know these markings? Thanks for your help!

Mimi S
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Q. My mother-in-law gave me her wedding ring before she passed away. It's a unique ring. Very wide band with one big square diamond in the middle and on the side, at a angle is three diamonds. Inside it has the letters:14K and LIT. This ring is about 52 years old and I have been trying to find out what the LIT stands for. I know many jewelers marked their rings with initials. Can you tell me what these initials stand for. Thank you

Wanda Arent
- Lebanon, Ohio

A. Ladies and gentlemen here is a web address with a list of symbol meanings on it:
www.jewelry-secrets.com/Jewelry/Marks-Stamped-Inside-Rings/What-Do-The-Marks-Stamped-Inside-Your-Ring-Mean.html

Jaci Elrod
- Fyffe, Alabama

Q. I found a ring with the imprint of C25 on it what does that stand for?

Shanna Green
- Taylorsville, Utah, USA

Q. Hello:
I have a wedding ring that appears to be gold/platinum with a row of (V's etched all around the top side. Inside the ring definitely appears to be gold with a few scrapes but nothing serious. The ring is some what heavy. Strangely there is No stamp inside any where. I've had this ring for a long time and never turned my finger green or black. I've also taken it to be tested at a pawn shop and was told that it did not pass the gold test but could be because it may be platinum and would be worth more than gold. Also did the makeup/foundation test and noticed a greyish/black marking when done. Can ANYONE tell me what kind of band I may possibly have.
Thanks and sorry for the long post

Gail

Gail Douglas
- Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Q. The inside of my engagement ring is stamped 1TW 10KT Q (on one side of the setting) and 4 on the other side. Can someone kindly tell me what these initials stand for please and thank you.

tb

T Bolling
- Gaithersburg, Maryland

Q. I bought a used ring, it is a square shaped garnet and it does look like real gold but when I went to look for the # of K's on there there was none but a number 925. Is this ring real? Or is it not :( Thank-you in advance.

Karen Galligos
- Powell River BC Canada

A. Hi Karen. "925" usually means 92.5% pure silver -- the same as "Sterling". So it sounds like a gold plated sterling silver ring.

Q. Have you heard of STAN D STERLING? I just purchased a Malachite ring with "STAN D STERLING" stamped on the back.

Jen Bernardino
- New Bedford, Massachusetts USA

Q. I have a past, present, future diamond pendant which has markings of 8KCP on it. Could you tell me what this means?

Kathy Mancuso
- Port St. Lucie, Florida, USA

Q. I recently received a white gold ring with a purple stone with a stamp on the inside 10KT. Can you tell me if it is plated or solid? Trying to figure out what this ring really is. Thanks Crystal

Crystal Jackson
- Missouri

A. Hi Crystal.

10KT means it's solid, and 10/24's pure gold.

Could you please give me some insight as to what "18.PLO" inside a white metal ring could be.

Thanks, Karin

Karin Jackson
- Uralla, NSW Australia

Q. Hi. I bought a gold 14k ring for my wife with 3 sapphires and 2 diamond stones. Inside there is an engraved marking -- it looks like HI namdar or HI namdax? too small I don't know what does it mean. I hope you can help me. Thank you and regards.

Tyler Thomas
- British Virgin Islands

Q. My sons found a ring digging outside. It was covered in mud, but cleaned up nicely. Its garnet surrounded by ten diamond stones. Is marked ga in the golden band. All I can find online is ga is a possible m makers mark. Could this be of any value. The gold tone seems flawless for the condition it was found.

Joy Frantz
- Washington, Pennsylvania, USA

A. Hi Joy. All we can do is guess whether the garnet, the diamonds, and the gold are real whereas any jeweler will probably tell you in seconds. My guess is that it is costume jewelry and the ga means garnet.

I have an old ring that looks like silver. It is marked with A.19 and 900. Do you know what these could mean? Thank you.

Susan Calloway
- Marysville, Washington, USA

Q. I have an old wrist watch with a sign of 10\000 what does it means. other said its gold plated? is it true? just want to now the markings of it?

Gionesce Adlawon
- Philippines

Q. I have a claddagh ring that has printed on the inside made in Ireland, but also has two markers I have no idea what they mean. One of them are the letters O C in a bolder type font, the others are in small boxes and appear to be the letters H.G.R. what does this mean??

Britanny Bowers
- Lancaster, New Hampshire, USA

FOR RINGS WITH NO MARKING INSIDE --

I MYSELF REALIZED THAT THERE WAS NO MARK INSIDE OF MY RING AFTER HAVING IT SIZED. WHEN YOU ARE HAVING IT MADE SMALLER THE JEWELER CUTS A PIECE OF THE GOLD OUT OF THE BOTTOM PART OF THE BAND AND USUALLY IT'S WHERE IT IS MARKED, THEREFORE LEAVING NO MARK AT ALL. I LEARNED WHEN HAVING A RING MADE SMALLER - ASK THE JEWELER TO: #1 GIVE YOU THE PIECE THAT WAS CUT OUT OR #2 ASK THEM TO ADD IT IN TO MAKE THE BAND PART STRONGER/THICKER.
HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEONE,

maria blickos
- washington twp, New Jersey

Well, it's not going to help the jewelers that you told us, Maria :-)

I've never thought of that, but it could be a worthwhile amount of gold or platinum if a ring is severely downsized.

Q. I have a gold ring marked with "14K R" and I don't know what the "R" stands for, any help?

Alec Cobb
- Carleton Michigan, USA

Q. I have a ring that has 925 on the inside as well as the c copyright mark along with the word "thailand" on the inside of the band. The ring has 6 large stones that appear to be sapphires along with small black stones in the middle. The ring appears to be old but is very beautiful.

29370-1 29370-2

I would like to know what the inside markings mean and if this ring could possibly be Thailand Sapphires? Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Wanda Page
- Amite, Louisiana USA

Q. I have a ring that is the color of either silver or white gold. It has a 14K symbol on one side of the inside of the band and then it has Q.Q on the other side. The stones are clear, and look like they could be real. What does the Q.Q mean? Does this sound like a real ring?

Abbie Watkins
- Fort white, Florida, USA

A. Hi Abbie. Assuming the 14k mark isn't counterfeit, and it's probably not unless it has a shady history, yes, it's real 14k gold.

Stones that aren't huge and aren't diamonds aren't, to my knowledge, worth a bunch though.

Q. I have a silver color ring that I purchase from a yard sale. The inside mark is a heart with a B inside. Could you tell me what this marking means?

Genevieve Yhap-Zebro
Hobbyist - Hillsborough, New Jersey, USA

Q. Hi there, I have a gold ring with the markings B1701 on the inside and it also has these scratches. Three slanted lines one way and three slanted going the other way. both markings are on the inside. I can't find what they mean?

thanks sara

Sara Blum
- Canada

A. Hi Sara. When you say gold, I guess you mean "gold color" or "gold tone"? If it doesn't have a karat mark it's probably not gold. If it doesn't have a "sterling" or ".925" mark it's probably not silver. If you send a photo of the markings it's vaguely possible that a reader may be able to identify the maker, but it's probably just one among hundreds of thousands of styles of costume jewelry. Look up the trademarks for Silpada and see if their 3-prong arrowhead is the scratches you are describing. Good luck.

Q. I have a ring that is stamped "ATI THAI" inside. Can you tell me what that means? Thanks so much.

Stephanie Ellenberg
- Cleves, Ohio

Q. I was given a ring for Christmas and noticed inside the ring there is a "14K" imprinted and the letter "p", the star symbol and the letter "m". I was wondering what they both mean.

Kim Ingram
- Canal Winchester, Ohio, USA

Folks! 14K means 14/24's gold. If you include a good photo of the hallmark there is maybe a very slim chance of a reader pointing you in the right direction towards what the hallmark means. But there are hundreds of thousands of hallmarks if not millions, and a verbal description of a hallmark is an absolute waste of bandwidth; millions of readers have seen these pages over the last 18 years, and in all that time not a single one has ever hazarded a guess from a verbal description of a hallmark :-(

Q. I am thinking of purchasing a ring that has this stamp inside. I tried to send a photo but I do not have outmail capabilities ;(.
But it says 925 P "star" M. I am told that it is silver plated. My question over what?

Cindy Skiba
- Mpls, Minnesota, USA

A. Hi Cindy. If it's marked "925" that indicates it is 92.5 percent pure silver, i.e., "sterling silver". It is possible that it is solid sterling silver and still has silver plating on it, because the silver plating could be 100% pure silver to deter tarnish, or the plating could be rhodium for the same reason.

It is certainly misleading and absolutely illegal to stamp it 925 if it is not solid 92.5% pure silver.

Q. My wife bought a ring with the letters "9 ct oc" could you please tell me what this means, as she paid 180 euro for it but got a value on it from another jeweler who said it was worth only 60 euro. It's a white gold ring; the second jeweler said it was a second-hand ring sprayed with rhodium. Thanking you for your time. John

john noctor
- dublin ireland

A. Hi John. The symbol for purity of gold is Karat, Kt, or K.
Carat or "ct" refers to the size of a stone. So why a ring would be marked "9 ct" is a mystery, but indicates that it might be a fictitious marking. The second jeweler didn't comment on that!? The "oc" is probably the designer, and there are a million.

If it is 9 Kt gold, it's 9/24 pure, 37.5%. So multiply its weight by .375 by the current price of gold and you'll have the intrinsic value.

Most white gold is rhodium plated, so that's no surprise. Nor am I shocked that one jeweler would only be willing to give you a third of what another jeweler sold it for. They are both in business, both negotiating against you on price, and who knows how long the first jeweler had to keep it in the showcase before it was sold, or how long the second jeweler will have to. Say it's "objective value" is 120 Euro, and you paid 180, that's a healthy markup, but not really outrageous. Good luck.

Q. Hi Ted, thank you for your prompt reply. Just to say there are stones on top of the ring he said cubic. The second jeweller said it was an old ring but it was sold to my wife as a new one. There are no other marks stamped symbols on it, just the letters I told you about. Should there be? Thanks again, John

John Noctor
- Dublin, Ireland

Q. I have this old Italian style men's 10K white gold diamond ring, inside is engraved with the following "10K" which is obviously 10 carat, beside that is "8.5" in which I assume to be the size of the ring, however what I'm puzzled about is the engraved symbol beside that in which appears to be of a diamond-like shaped heart form with an horizontal oval-like spin through the middle of the symbol ... any thoughts? Thanks so much! :)

10k while gold diamond ring 1  10k white gold diamond ring 2

Inez Goulet
- Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA

Q. I found a ring in my old bag of jewellery it looks real but I don't remember buying it. It has a stone in it and looks like it says YAP or YAR. Then on the other side it looks like a M or a W. What do these marking mean if anything?

Becky Atkinson
- United Kingdom

Q. Hello! I bought a gold band ring today that has the lettering 375 VLDS V1C7X on it. (Or it may be a K at the end, I'm not sure). I was just wondering what it means?

I have photos of the engravings, but I'm not sure how to upload it.

Natalie Codrington
- Morisset, Australia

----
Ed. note: You can attach the photos in e-mail to mooney@finishing.com, but unfortunately it will still be unlikely that anyone will recognize it. Good luck.

Q. Actually I'm asking a question. Just purchased a ring, white gold with a gold box shape in middle of mount, diamonds in middle and around box stamped with BHK14k. What does this mean. And thank you! Robin.

fawn temple
- cambridge, ontario canada

A. Hi Fawn. 14K doubtless means 14 karat gold. We'd like to help with the rest but it's probably a maker's mark and hopeless (we've posted hundreds of such requests but there are an almost infinite number of makers, and most people naturally come to this public forum page to find out about their own not help others find out about theirs). Good luck.

Q. I have a band that is marked J14KS and was wondering if that means 14 karat gold over silver. Thanks for your help.

Eric Brothers
- Mooers Forks, New York

Meaning of Marking "JC"?

Q. I had a ring handed down to me. It is oval shaped opal (I think opal anyway) with a band running across the top of the opal and holding a diamond. It also has 2 rows of diamonds on each side of the opal. I can't tell if the diamonds are some kind of black diamonds or extremely dirty (haven't had a chance to clean it yet). The marks are 925 (I know that means sterling) and "JC". I have looked everywhere and can't find anything with JC marks except one site that showed a bracelet with JC mark and it said "unknown victorian era maker" Does anyone have an idea what JC means?

Stephanie Thompson
- Gosnell, Arkansas, Mississippi

Q. I have a necklace charm my sister gave me and on the back is marked J C. Anyone know what it means? Thank you.

Victoria Rojo
- Escondido, California, USA

Q. I have a wedding set that only has JC stamped inside. The rings are very big and has one large diamond (if real) and one small on each side. How can I tell if this is real, and what does JC mean?

Amanda Harper
- Atlanta, Georgia USA

A. Hi Amanda. Any jeweler anywhere can tell you in 30 seconds flat if the diamonds are real or they wouldn't be able to last a day in business :-)

As for what "JC" means, it could be an "unknown victorian era maker" as Stephanie T says, but it could also be the initials of anyone in the world with those initials :-(

Q. I have this ring with 925 p"star"m on the inside. Any ideas?

T. Fowler
- Abilene, Texas, USA

Q. I have a mens ring, not sure of the size, but it has 10KP-LDI marked on the inside. I know what the 10KP stands for, but does anyone know what the LDI is?

Heather Roysdon
- Loveland, Ohio, USA

Q. Hello, I have a ring that belonged either to my grandma or great grandma. Not sure if its real, or costume jewelry. Its silver in color with a design engraved on it. 7 Diamonds are on it, I think it's a wedding ring. It is stamped with "RKT PAT 1925"

I know PAT likely means patent? But I looked around and couldn't find RKT or 1925 anywhere

Cassandra Mattice
- Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Q. I have a ring; on inside of band it has the letter P, on the other side 925. Is P plumb for gold or the 925 silver?
It's not magnetic; it marks my skin when I wear makeup.
It doesn't turn in vinegar; I've looked on line I've seen plumb gold 925.
And silver -- any ideas?

Vickie Sarver
- Bluefield, Virginia, USA

Q. I have a diamond ring with hallmarks 'plat' which is platinum and '18k' which is 18k gold and a '1o' which I have no clue what this means? Maybe 1 carat diamond? Can someone help me with this? The ring is believed to be Canadian. Thank you.

Kerry Obrien
- Poole Dorset, England

Q. Hi, I have a gold ring with a sapphire and a diamond(?) either side, the only mark inside the band is 436. What can you tell me?

Jayjay Poppet
- New Zealand

Q. I have a 14k white gold ring with the engravings on one side .08B and on the other side c with a circle around, 14K- a sideways diamond and a J with ... it looks like a square with an X in it. Anyone know?

Megan Harris
- Agassiz, BC, Canada

A. Hi Megan. Well, a "c" with a circle in it sounds like the ubiquitous "Copyright" symbol, but without a photo, it's hard to say. 14K is obviously 14 karat.

Although there have been no answers to the last 10 questions, if you send photos there will at least a chance. Good luck.

Q. Hi! I ran across a ring I bought 20+ years ago at an estate sale. It is a hexagon shaped diamond engagement style ring. The inside of the band is stamped "10kt-P" on one side and "EW 3" on the other side. Can you tell me what these mean? If I saw correctly, in the earlier thread, you indicated the "P" means plumb, but what about the rest? Thanks so much!

Cory Robertson
- Ft Hood Texas, USA

Q. Real or Not? I have a ring my father gave me. It looks antique; the markings on the ring are the word Cosmic in cursive and 14K PAT-N

gold ring-5 gold ring-6 gold ring-7 gold ring-8

Christy Scadlock
- Carencro, Louisiana, USA

Hi Christy. I am not a jeweller and I'm only looking at pictures, but my guess is that it's real but not especially valuable.

My reason for believing it's real, besides the general look of it, is a question about a white gold ring, marked "Cosmic" in cursive, at
en.allexperts.com/q/Jewelry-Gems-Minerals-689/2009/4/Ring-word-Cosmic-inside.htm

My reason for believing it's not particularly valuable, besides the general look of it, is a rather similar looking item for sale on Ebay at
www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-White-Gold-/171187407164?pt=Diamond_Solitaire_Rings&hash=item27db90893c

I have a ring thats marked 375 on one side and on the other it has the letter p then a star/asterisk, both of which are in a circle -- can you tell me what it means please?

Sian Bullock
- Perth, western Australia

Q. I have a ring that is stamped "18k ihgecc".

Chuck Andersen
- Amarillo, Texas, USA

Q. My ring is stamped with ○▲ what does this mean?

Ky Marie
- Reno, Nevada, USA

Q. I recently received a ring set from my mother that was bought by my father from an estate sale back in the 1980's. They both appear to be white gold, one with 5 small diamonds to serve as the wedding band, and the other has one larger diamond in the middle with two small diamonds on each side to serve as the engagement ring. On the inside, both say DUVAL on one side and 14KPAT FL-E on the other. I have tried researching Duval but haven't come up with anything. I would like to know if Duval is the company that made the rings? What does the coding "14KPAT FL-E" on the other side of the rings mean? And also, can the code indicate the rings' age?

Cailey Horn
Hobbyist - Clayton, Georgia, United States

A. Hi Cailey. 14K means 14 karat. PAT probably means a design patent -- just basically that you can't copy the look of the ring.

"Duval" and "FL-E" are probably as good as meaningless because there are thousands upon thousands of jewelry makers and combinations of letters applied like this and, as your researches showed, Google will get you nowhere. You need to take it to a jeweler to verify that it's 14K gold, and to have the diamonds evaluated.

Q. My ring says KStm with 925 on the inside. It has a ruby and diamond hearts and a bunch of little diamonds around it. i did the diamond test and it passed, but what does the KStm mean?

Gwen Kelley
- schertz, texas usa

Platinum Ring over 100 years old with 2/3 caret Emerald and Diamond Chips on side

Q. Hi. My name is Helene. I was recently given one of my Grandmother's rings. It has to be over 100 years old and on the inside it's stamped platinum and then there are 3 Capital K's engraved on the inside and then it seems that it was re-engraved later with a 7 over the first K, 6 over the second and 3 over the last K. It also has the numbers 216 or 276 engraved on the inside, but across from the engraving letters/numbers. It has a fairly high setting with a rather beautiful 4 prong which splits into 3 each, making the top of the emerald look like it's being held by 12 prongs. I have taken it to several very good Jewelers in my area and none of them could tell me what any of it meant. They all said they had never seen something like that before. Two of them did offer to buy it, but I'm not selling, just extremely curious now to find out what the engravings mean. It's become a quest to me. Is there anyone that could help me and solve my mystery? It really is starting to drive me a bit insane. Thank you to all who have taken the time to read this and hopefully have an answer for me.
Sincerely,
Helene.

Helene Bruen
- Harriman, New York - USA

What does 21cp mean?

Q. I have a gold pendant that's really unusual looking has the mark 21cp. I took it to a jeweler to have it checked out and it is indeed 21k but why is it stamped 21cp?

K Ferrara
- newnan, Georgia USA

Hi K. I know that "kp" means "karat plumb" and this might possibly be a variation on that. When jewelry is made, it may require solder or this and that which adds slightly to the weight. So if it started out 21 karat, it really isn't quite 21 karat anymore when you add the weight of the solder. As long as this additional weight is small, the jeweler is allowed to round up and still call it 21 kt. The "plumb" means it's still a full 21 karats even if you include the solder, etc., i.e., if you weigh it, at least 21/24ths of the total weight is pure gold.

Q. I have a 1.25 14kp with a diamond shape with the letters TB inside it, what does TB mean? Also if it has one small, not visible to eye carbon spec what would the clarity on it be. I know this is difficult without seeing it but just a guess. Doesn't have a lot of colors under fluorescent lights either.

Danita Dover
- little rock Arkansas US

Q. Hey, I found this ring cleaning out a foreclosed home it has 14 k pc and a lot of diamonds. Any suggestions?

mark rodriquez
mine - bonita, California

Q. I have just inherited a ring from my grandmother. It looks like yellow gold, and has the inscription JH on the inside. What does it stand for, is it worth anything or plated?

Elna Potgieter
- South Africa

A. Hi Elna. Unfortunately "JH" means nothing and the color means nothing, so no one has any basis at all upon which to speculate. You need to go to a gold dealer and find out what you have if you are interested in its intrinsic metal value more than its sentimental value. Good luck.

Q. Hi. I got a gold colored ring that has stamps and read as follows "10 HO1" -- what does this mean? It's gold colored and got a square stone on the front that looks like a soldier?

Bradley brown
- lebanon Pennsylvania USA

Q. Hi Sir, my gave me a set of vintage jewelry which has a set of gemstones (probably amethysts and diamonds). At the back of the ring, as well as on the earrings and the brooch are two markings -- 18k and what appears to be PO.C.

29370-9 29370-10

Would like your opinion on what the PO.C stands for.

Sarah Benitez
- Cagayan De Oro, Philippines

Q. I have a small pendant and is stamped with what looks like a diamond then 10k TOP, the other end is stamped with 10k and a Star symbol. What do these mean?

Leah tyler
- van buren arkansas usa

Q. I was recently given an old ring, that says its 14k (white) gold. There is another marking on the ring, which I cannot seem to find the meaning for anywhere online. It's A and a copyright symbol. Does anyone know what this might mean?

Katie Ryan
- Kansas City, Missouri, USA

Q. I am buying a necklace from someone and on one side it says 14kt italy and on other side it has a T with circle stamped. Is this real gold?

Marie Noland
- Douglas, Georgia

A. Hi Marie. If it's stamped 14 kt, it claims to be made of 14 kt solid real gold.

Could it be bearing forged or counterfeit stampings? Well, yes, anything is vaguely possible, so you have to judge from the totality of the circumstances whether having it tested is practical and worthwhile.

If you like it and it's $25, buy it. If it's $250 and from what you reasonably believe to be a reliable source, and weighs in the vicinity of 1/4 ounce, buy it. If it's $2500 or sounds shady, you need to have it checked first :-)

Q. I have a necklace marked 10k and on other side says "Brad Flea Pat. pending".
Whats does it mean?

kayci hol
- Atlantic City, New Jersey

Q. I have a gold ring with a 1 carat solitaire diamond in it. The engraving inside says 18k gel or sel. The gold looks as if it's got fading away and going silver or possibly white gold. Can someone explain this ?

amber serrano
- pomona, California usa

A. Hi Amber. It's marked 18 kt, so it's gold not sterling silver. I can think of two scenarios:
1. The ring was actually made of white gold and the jeweler plated it with yellow gold (a very poor idea).
2. The ring has been exposed to mercury.

You haven't yet told us whether the ring is a week old or 30 years old, but more info would help.

Q. I'm writing about the 18k ring with the gel or sel engraving. I'm not sure how old the ring is. But I did find out that it wasn't exposed to mercury. I wonder what the gel or sel means though.

amber serrano [returning]
- pomona, California

A. Hi again. You can look in hallmarking books at the library or on hallmarking sites on the internet, but with tens of thousands of hallmarks, and in as much as anyone anywhere can at any time engrave a ring (just as workers often engrave their tools with their initials), the chance of anyone being able to help you with initials you can't even clearly read is next to zero. Sorry.

Q. I have a yellow gold ring with pearl and leaf setting. It says 14K on the inside, and then upside down, next to it, what seems like three letters and then + Co. Due to the three letter hallmark being rubbed off, I can't ID it. Can you help?

29370-11a 29370-11b 29370-11c 29370-11d

Diana Cheang
- Arlington, Virginia, US

Hi, my name is Kate and I recently inherited a ring from my lat grandmother with the markings "10K PON" I know what the 10K means but I am confused as to the meaning of PON and cannot find it anywhere on the internet, can you please help me?

29370-12a 29370-12b

Kate Marian
- Washington DC, USA