-- The Home Page of the Finishing Industry

The Hotline: Serious Education ... plus the most fun you can have in metal finishing. Ted Mooney, Webmaster

Restoring worn axle of classic car to original specs

I have a classic car that's nearly 38 years old. The axle of one of the front wheels has worn down at the point of one of the wheel bearings. Because of that, there is too much play between the inner race of the bearing and the axle.

I'm looking into solutions to get rid of the play. The axle (or rather the entire front suspension unit that it's part of) isn't available anymore from the manufacturer and I haven't been able to find a suitable used part yet.

Somebody suggested that it may be possible to restore the axle to its original dimensions by adding a layer of nickel or similar. I found and here I am posting this message. I am absolutely no expert on this, so I would like to learn if it's possible to restore the axle, if this solution is durable, what methods can be used and roughly at what cost. Thanks in advance!

Ed Hut
Classic car hobbyist - Amsterdam, NH, Netherlands

Worn shafts and axles are routinely brush plated to build them back to dimension. It is not a technical challenge. The heart of your question is the cost, though, and that I can't answer. Contact the suppliers of brush plating equipment like those listed in the banner at the top of the page, and they may be able to suggest a brush plating service who can quote you.

Ted Mooney,

Flame Spraying of Metal is a well proven method to build-up to above tolerance and turn it down again to spec. standard. The same is used in the shipbuilding industry to build up propeller shafts.

Van Veenen, Erik
Manufacturing - Leek, Netherlands

©1995-2015     -    Privacy    -    Search