Looking for Sheffield "The Silver Solution" replating solution

+++

Q. I would like to purchase "The Silver Solution" a patented formula for plating and replating silver. I would sincerely appreciate your help.

Maureen Pdeleted
- Massapequa, New York

similarly
+++

Q. I also am looking for Silver Solution which was put out by Sheffield Silver Co. My original kit came from Rich's. I have tried all the stores in my area over a period of six or eight years and have been unsuccessful in finding anyone who is familiar with it.

Charlotte Bdeleted
- Morrow, Georgia

+++

Q. I am looking for The Silver Solution too! It's the best! Where do I buy it? Thank you for your help!

Lauren T deleted
consumer - Frederick, Maryland

++++

Q. I am trying to locate where I can Purchase a silver polish called "The Silver Solution" originally supplied by Sheffield Plate Polish Company Ltd or a product that does the same thing.

Ron Byers
Crafts & Antiques - Berry Mills, New Brunswick, Canada

A. Hi, folks. It appears that "The Silver Solution" is presently available in the U.K. but not in the USA. However, there are several brands of competitive products available, including Medallion Liquid Silver Plating Lotion =>
Miracle Silver, Nu Silver, Quickshine, Silveron, Silver Plating Formula, Silver Secret, and Jax Silver Plating Solution =>

Availability and distributorship info for such solutions seems to change very rapidly, so, rather than trying to maintain it on dozens of forum threads, please see our FAQ, "Resilvering at Home" where we try to keep the links up to date all on one page.

Electroless Liquid Silver Plating Solution

Jax Silver Plating Solution

Q. I don't find The Silver Solution on the FAQ page.
It is not an immersion solution; it works like a silver polish, but adds silver.
It really does work, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. I would very much appreciate a source.
Erif.

Erif Thunen
- Albion, California, USA

A. Hi, Erif. The Silver Solution is indeed on that page. Sorry that the term "immersion silvering" derailed you a bit, but actually it doesn't mean that the article is dipped (immersed) into it; rather it means that no electricity is required because the plating process is driven by the silver being more noble than the copper or brass you are plating it onto. Strange though it may sound, The Silver Solution is an "immersion silvering process" even though it is wiped on :-)

Please see our "Silver Plating at Home" FAQ page. Good luck!

A. I used Sheffco silver plate only today to restore a badly mistreated rococo wall-mounted candleholder. It works miracles - that's why I use it, and I think it may be what You are looking for.

Anna Spannagel
- Ludwigsburg, Germany

February 23, 2012appended

Q. My name is Chellis Swenson and I wrote some years ago [letter 1432] trying to find a product of Silver Solution which I had demo'd at a local dept. store. I finally found it in England and ordered several for myself and friends. I corresponded with the gentleman who was selling it. Alas, the owner of the patent was elderly and would not let it out of his hands and it died with him. I still have a little bit, but will run out some day and would love to know if there is something else as good. The gentleman even used it to polish the metal on his motorcycle! I found your site once by accident, and again today so will try to keep it handy and check back with you. SILVER SOLUTION was a very good product.

Chellis Swenson
homeowner - Tacoma, Washington

A. Welcome back, Chellis.

According to www.kernowcraft.com/products/silversmithing-and-tools/sundries/silver-solution-C125/
it was re-branded as Walsh Silver Plating solution, which "is exactly the same superior product". There are many similar products listed on the FAQ page that we referenced. They all work on the same general principal. We don't compare brands here (it leads to shills posting with phony names as 'satisfied customers, and other problems), and I don't claim they are all equally good (some may have a higher silver concentration, better polishing agents, etc.) but there are alternatives.

Q. When I lived in L.A. in the 80s I was a product demonstrator for "The Silver Solution." It was an AMAZING product. I'm also looking for it.

Wallace Wilhoit Jr
Self Employed - Santa Fe, New Mexico

thumbsup2Well, Wallace, you wouldn't have been much of a product demonstrator if you felt otherwise :-)