The finishing.com Hotline -- Serious Education ... plus the most fun you can have in metal finishing

Best plating on porous aluminum castings

++++

Q. Hi Friends,

Can you please suggest the best plating that can be done on a porous die-cast aluminium part (Heat sink). It should withstand 72 hours of salt spray.

Suman [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
vendor development - Bangalaore, Karnataka, India

++++

A. Hi Suman. I'd say poor plating is the best plating that can be done on a porous die-cast aluminum part :-)

Seriously though, any plateable metal can be plated on virtually any substrate -- the choice is based on why you are plating the part -- it's not based on finding a plating that works on porous parts.

It's possible to vacuum impregnate the castings to render them non-porous or at least much less porous. It's possible to anodize them, or paint them, or plate them with almost anything, but I think anodizing is the most common choice. Good luck.

Ted Mooney   Teds signature

++++

Q. Hi Ted, thanks for your reply. We cannot avoid porosity on castings. Vacuum impregnation was a good idea. I tried doing ENP on it. ENP doesn't stick on impregnated area. I tried Zinc. Zinc is not penetrating deep into the fins. I tried anodizing. I am not happy with the finish. Is there any other alternate. On porous surface, plating fails very quickly. Corrosion starts from the porous surface; ultrasonic cleaning helps a bit but not 100%.

Suman [returning]

++++

A. What is wrong with chem film (Alodine, Iridite and etc)? What is wrong with anodize. Both are cheaper and should work for a heat sink.

++++

A. Suman,

It should be obvious that porous parts will retain the plating solution and bleed after plating. As you are in B'lore, suggest contacting Mr K Vahanvala who is a professional plater and runs Saify Ind. He is your last hope of success.

asif_nurie
Asif Nurie
- New Delhi, India

++++

thumbsup2Hi Asif,

I just saw this and had a rollicking good laugh over it! I'm already on Suman's black list as a plater who can't plate on porous parts! But Suman, to answer your question: zincate, EN and Zinc Cobalt, seems to be the way to go ahead on this.

khozema
Khozema Vahanwala
Saify Ind

Bangalore, Karnataka, India

++++

Q. Vahanwala my Friend.

Need is the mother of invention. Everyone knows porous Surface will bleed after plating. We need to come out with a solution to overcome this. Please take back the word Blacklisted - I am still doing business with you & coming for all R&D work. No doubt you are the right person to give solution to my problem. Vahanwala, I want to come out of ENP fully.

Hi James, Anodizing & Chromating meets my functional requirements. But doesn't meet aesthetic requirements. Can I do some plating on top of anodized / chromated surface.

Suman [returning]

++++

A. You appear to have tried nearly everything and nothing is satisfactory. A zincate followed by a copper strike followed by a copper build followed by nickel may work, but that is a lot more expense and time and places for failure.

Better castings might be a more affordable way to go. Another thought would be to zincate and alkaline EN strike followed by a conventional EN. I doubt if it will meet your needs, but it is a last effort to try. PS, I hate castings and am not in love with bad extrusions.

++++

A. If you were sand casting your situation would be hopeless but aluminum die casting MUST render a part with integrity and soundness. There must be something or many things wrong in your casting process. A quality management program for your castings is the answer not finding a miracle plater.

thumbsup2Hi. My vote is for Guillermo's answer. Quality management of the die casting step is essential. Sometimes, although costly, it's a matter of inspecting each casting and throwing each poor one back into the melt pot until better dies, better metal, or better methods are available.

Ted Mooney, finishing.com   Teds signature

+++++

A. For porous aluminium castings, vacuum impregnation is best idea. It can withstand 250 degree temperature, 72-hour salt spray, etc.

Sandeep Nandra
- Chandigarh, India