Discolorization of chrome faucet after cleaning

++++

Q. Removing mineral deposits from chrome sink fixture employing a citrus concentrate cleaner I followed with a toilet bowl cleaneramazoninfo containing hydrochloric acid. The result is bronze hue discoloration and an non-uniform overall appearance. What is the remedy?

Barry Carroll
home owner - Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania, United States of America

++++

A. The remedy at this point is unfortunately a new sink fixture or sending the existing one for replating (which will probably cost more). Chrome plating is extremely resistant to most things, but the way to instantly remove chrome is to put hydrochloric acid on it.

eFaucets

Top Brands!...Low Prices!

Q. HELP WITH FAUCET RESTORATION!!!

I AM A WIDOW TRYING TO CLEAN UP A HOUSE = MY DECEASED HUSBAND USED LIME AWAY ON THE BATHROOM FAUCET AND IT TURNED REALLY DARK AND UGLY WITH SPOTS. I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO RESTORE ITS NATURAL SHINE USING VINEGAR, TOOTHPASTE AND ELBOW GREASE, BUT NOTHING WORKS. I AM ON A FIXED BUDGET & HATE TO SPEND MONEY ON A NEW FAUCET AS THIS ONE IS IN GOOD SHAPE OTHERWISE. I HEARD HYDROCHLORIC ACID MIGHT WORK, BUT AFRAID TO TRY. ANY IDEAS WOULD BE SO APPRECIATED. THANK YOU!

BOBBIE CRISWELL
HOME RESTORING - UNIONTOWN, OHIO USA

A. Hi, Bobbie. You didn't mention what the faucet's finish was. But going with the most common, the Lime Away removed some of the chrome finish, and hydrochloric acid will only make it worse. The problem is that the pretty finish on a faucet is only skin deep, and once it's gone, it's gone. Unless you can prime the faucet, then apply a fancy color paint, then be very gentle so as to not chip the paint away, replacement is the only practical option. Faucets can be replated if necessary because they are heirlooms or unmatchable, but the labor cost of plating one at a time instead of hundreds at a time makes this as expensive or more expensive than a replacement. Sorry.

thumbsup2I WOULD LIKE TO THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY ON MY DISCOLORED CHROME FIXTURE EVEN THOUGH I HATED TO HEAR MY BEST COURSE OF ACTION IS REPLACEMENT. THANKS AGAIN!

BOBBIE CRISWELL
HOMEOWNER - UNIONTOWN, OHIO (USA)