Base coats and top coats for vacuum metallizing

++++

Q. Dear friends,

I am research student. I want to know something about air drying base coat and top coat which are being used in vacuum metallizing on plastics. I want to get their properties and results on plastic. Can anyone reply? I want to know how they work? Is it a chemical reaction while metallizing on it? Which compound is formed after metallization (especially of ALUMINIUM). thanking you for going through this question.

Rushi.N.Daftary
student(research student) - Morbi, Gujarat, India

A. The base coat is a chemical which is used in vacuum metallizing plants. To metallize on plastic (which is silver colour) base coat is used without base coat it is not possible to get silver coat on plastic but there are some plastic which don't required base coat but that can't be done golden colour
PROCESS:
1) Base coat is used 1st, then put in oven for 1.30 min at 75° C temp
2) After it is dry, then to metallizing machine where it gets silver color
3) After silver, top coat is used to get golden colour or any other colour

kirit ganatra
- mumbai india

Thank you, Kirit for the answer. But I will add one thing: the top coat is not there solely to change the silver color to gold or another color, but also to protect the aluminum layer from oxidation or quickly wearing off. The top coat is always required, even if the desired color is silver.

RFQ: Can I get the information regarding the dealers of base and top coat used for vacuum metallizing.

akhil gandhi
- faridabad, India

Hi, Akhil. For a more enthusiastic response, please include your company name and a description of your needs. Many vendors ignore inquiries with no details because they are often from people looking to sell something rather than to buy something :-)

Q. I want to know is there any reaction that takes place between aluminium and top coat which can make it dull after curing, or is there any other reason for the component getting dull? I'm facing this problem for some time. Can anybody guide me?

abhishek kakkar
- delhi,INDIA

A. Hello dear,
Your plastic pieces are getting dull after topcoat curing due to some other reason. Your base coat is not dried well. So increase time of curing base coat. Best of luck.

Rushi Daftary
- Morbi, Gujarat, India

rfq