-- The Home Page of the Finishing Industry

The Hotline: Serious Education ... plus the most fun you can have in metal finishing. Ted Mooney, Webmaster

Determining surface morphology with TEM

Instead of using SEM,what is the other equipment that I can use to see a cross section of thin film (<1 micron). My interest basically on multilayers within that film. Each layers calculated roughly about 5-6 nm. I'm done with SEM and now I'm trying to use TEM. any other equipment available for my interest?

Kamal Harmoza
MSc student. - Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

If I understand your question correctly, TEM may not be the most appropriate analytical method. I would investigate Auger Electron Spectroscopy (AES), which is a similar technique to SEM using a Scanning Auger Microprobe (SAM) for elemental analysis. Other techniques with even greater resolution are Secondary Ion Mass Spectrometry (SIMS), X-Ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy (XPS), and Rutherford Backscattering Spectrometry (RBS). The following link for the Center for Microanalysis of Materials located at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign provides descriptions of the various techniques:

Toby Padfield
Automotive module supplier - Michigan

©1995-2015     -    Privacy    -    Search