HOME / sitemapFAQsBOOKSHelp WantedsAdvertiseContact   you are here: Hotline/Forum => Letter 28345
most fun in metal finishing

Determining surface morphology with TEM


Instead of using SEM,what is the other equipment that I can use to see a cross section of thin film (<1 micron). My interest basically on multilayers within that film. Each layers calculated roughly about 5-6 nm. I'm done with SEM and now I'm trying to use TEM. any other equipment available for my interest?

Kamal Harmoza
MSc student. - Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia


If I understand your question correctly, TEM may not be the most appropriate analytical method. I would investigate Auger Electron Spectroscopy (AES), which is a similar technique to SEM using a Scanning Auger Microprobe (SAM) for elemental analysis. Other techniques with even greater resolution are Secondary Ion Mass Spectrometry (SIMS), X-Ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy (XPS), and Rutherford Backscattering Spectrometry (RBS). The following link for the Center for Microanalysis of Materials located at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign provides descriptions of the various techniques:

Toby Padfield
Automotive module supplier - Michigan

ADD a Q or A to THIS thread START a NEW THREADView This Week's HOT TOPICS



JobshopsCapital Equip. & Install'nChemicals & Consumables Consult'g, Train'g, SoftwareEnvironmental ComplianceTesting Svcs. & DevicesUsed & Surplus

©1995-2015     -    Privacy    -    Search