No Pop-ups! No Spam!
HomeFAQsBooksHelpWantedsForum  ltr 28345

Determining surface morphology with TEM

(2004)

Instead of using SEM,what is the other equipment that I can use to see a cross section of thin film (<1 micron). My interest basically on multilayers within that film. Each layers calculated roughly about 5-6 nm. I'm done with SEM and now I'm trying to use TEM. any other equipment available for my interest?

Kamal Harmoza
MSc student. - Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

(2004)

If I understand your question correctly, TEM may not be the most appropriate analytical method. I would investigate Auger Electron Spectroscopy (AES), which is a similar technique to SEM using a Scanning Auger Microprobe (SAM) for elemental analysis. Other techniques with even greater resolution are Secondary Ion Mass Spectrometry (SIMS), X-Ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy (XPS), and Rutherford Backscattering Spectrometry (RBS). The following link for the Center for Microanalysis of Materials located at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign provides descriptions of the various techniques: http://cmm.mrl.uiuc.edu/techniques/techn.htm

Toby Padfield
Automotive module supplier - Michigan