HOW TO SOLDER TITANIUM

++++

I AM A JEWELRY AND EYE GLASS REPAIRER. I WISH TO KNOW HOW TO SOLDER TITANIUM AND I ALSO WANT TO KNOW WHERE TO PURCHASE THE MATERIALS NEEDED TO SOLDER TITANIUM.

THANK YOU,

David Zobali
JEWELRY AND EYEGLASS REPAIR - NEW CITY, NEW YORK

++++

It is impossible to solder titanium-- you can weld it but under very special conditions.

++++

To Goran Budija:

If you can't solder titanium, then how are hinges put on titanium eyeglasses? Also, under what conditions can titanium be welded?

David Zobali

First of two simultaneous responses -- ++++

I think there is a problem with terminology-- frames for eyeglasses are brazed not soldered, since the temperature exceeds 450 C. Titanium in the presence of any oxygen forms a tightly adherent oxide layer, which impairs joining by brazing, welding, etc. Therefore, titanium is brazed in an argon atmosphere, without a flux, using different types of filler metal. There is a good description of the technology in a technical paper from Nippon Steel, one of the leading producers of titanium alloy products. Use the following link for more information: http://www.nsc.co.jp/gikai/en/contenthtml/n62/6205.pdf

Toby Padfield
Automotive module supplier - Michigan

Second of two simultaneous responses -- ++++

Hinges are probably spot welded. Process is same as for other metals. For more infos try Titanium.org web site. Good luck!

++++

The following link will get you to a company that has all that you need to begin repairing or building Titanium frames: www.arkhe.net/

I am seeking somebody who currently does Titanium Eyeglass repair and came upon it. Anybody reading this with helpful info, please respond.

Cheers,

Jeff Schmidt
- Richmond, Virginia

++++++

There is a guy in Colorado Springs Colorado doing business as "Eyewear Repair" his shop is on "Galley" (no street, ave, rd, etc. just "Galley") He does amazing work and has made strong, long lasting repairs to several pairs of Titanium and Titanium alloy eye glass frames over the past 20 years. Hunt him down, he has knowledge worth knowing!

Bruce Fanning
- Manitou Springs, Colorado

+++++++

We can solder Titanium frames. We use CO2 laser in argon atmosphere to do it. The equipment can be used in dental labs, too.

Paul Fisher
- Prague, Czech Republic

+++++++

when setting up a repair is there any way other than abject failure to determine if a frame is titanium stianless or other unsolderable material.
thks GMC

greg coyston
optical lab-repair guy - winnipeg manitoba canada

+++++++

I have a pair of eyeglasses. The frames are made out of titanium wire. Can I use silver solder to repair the nose bridge? What I notice using regular solder is this. The solder flows, but will not solder the break.
John

John Arcotta
- Frederick, Colorado

I have just finished soldering a broken hinge of a Flexon bow. I used silver-bearing solder and plain yellow flux paste. I am not a jeweler in any way, and have no prior experience doing this, other than general electronics/PCB soldering.

Matt Swanton
- North Smithfield, Rhode Island

I am a Jeweler. I just broke both hinges off of the ear wires on a pair of Titanium glasses. I used my handy dandy oxy-acetylene Smith "Little Torch"amazoninfo, Handy Flux [link is to item on Ebay], and Jewelers Easy Flow Silver Solder (75% Ag)amazoninfo to braze the hinge pieces back on the ear wires. Very strong solder.

Dave Bender
- Friendswood, Texas

Thank You, Publishers, for adding the Hyperlinks to my response. I must say, 'Grobet', is a major Jeweler Supply Company, that carries quality supplies. But, I prefer Cadmium-free silver solder

Dave Bender
dfb Creations LLC - Friendswood, Texas

sidebar March 25, 2010

Hi, Dave. Thanks for your instructions!

(The hyperlinks are both for the readers' convenience [if we look things up once, it saves 500 readers from having to each look them up], and for our own benefit [we often get a commission if readers buy the product from the source we've linked to]).

Hi thank you so much for the info, my son just mangled my Oakleys this morning. So out with my oxy torch as low as I could get to with some silver solder and harris stay silv white flux. Filed the area, and very importantly cleaned the area with some degreasing all purpose cleaner. Just fluxed, heated the area and dabbed some silver in place and used the heat carefully allow the silver to distribute. Quick filing and almost good as new, and most importantly silver joints are quite strong. Again thanks for the info, very simple repair.

kris lowe
- squamish bc canada

Silver Solder

Silver Soldering Flux

The PUK 3S High Precision Welder is much less expensive than a laser and will weld titanium as well as many other metals including jewelry metals.

Elaine Corwin
- Bridgeport Connecticut USA

I used hot glue. Two days later still holding.

Brady Gallogly
- Cincinnati