Chemicals for the Shor Simplicity refining system

++++

I am a hobbyist gold refiner using the Shor Simplicity electro refining system, at the moment I have to buy the relevant chemicals from the USA and pay almost the same again in freight charges. Does anyone know what the two main chemicals are, i.e. the "GC Salt" and "Precipitant"? Can anyone help? There is quite a few of us in the UK and it would help if we could source the chemicals over here. Thanks for looking.

Jeremy Sdeleted
Hobbyist - Daventry, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom

And there are a lot of us over on this side who prefer the taste of Beefeater's to Home Liquors Gin, and would appreciate if in turn you would tell us the exact recipe to copy Beefeater's :-)

If you can find out what they are, I will send you a large bottle of Beefeaters!

Jeremy Sdeleted
Gold Refining - UK

Dear sir

congratulations ! I want to know the composition of the catalyst for Shor Simplicity refining System for gold ( U.S.A). Can you help me ?

thank you

manoochehr a deleted
laboratory - shrekord , iran

. . . now seriously, folks. C'mon, the idea of publicly printing the formulation of proprietary products is outrageous :-)

Want the formula for Coca-Cola, too, so you can make it and sell it without a license?

+++++

Hi folks, ran across this thread recently, I bought a Shor refiner for my employer at great cost when converted to south african rands, the whole idea of refining ourselves to save money sounded fabulous, alas, after the chemicals were finished we found that to ship them from Shor to south africa cost almost R4000.00 for R500.00 worth of chemicals, negating the efficiency and cost effectiveness of the system for anyone who doesn't live in the US. I'm sorely disappointed and my employer is more than just a little annoyed at my waste of his money on what is destined to become a door stop.

If anyone ever manages to figure out the chemicals used in the system good for you, because apparently as of 911 it is no longer an option to buy or use American chemical products :(.

Christopher Botha
goldsmith - port elizabeth, eastern cape, south africa

Hi, Christopher. Did you folks consider approaching them about a licensing agreement whereby they would disclose the formulation to you in return for a royalty payment of so much per gallon? I am certainly not speaking for Shor, but speaking generically that kind of arrangement is done all the time, as we alluded to for Coca-Cola.

Ted.

Novel idea, I will approach them for some sort of agreement like that, hold thumbs. will let you guys know.

Christopher Botha
goldsmith - Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape, South Africa

I recently came across this simple solution for gold refining and I copy the recipe directly as is:

"SSN Leach.7: 1 (Saturated salt and Nitric acid) this is one of the best leaches for leaching gold and complex hard to leach ores and can be enhanced with addition of a small amount of Iodine. The only downside is that once you have leached your ore or carbon you must neutralize the nitric before you try to extract any of the precious metals out of the pregnant leach. Follow the directions very carefully and you will have an excellent leach for your ore and carbon. This is a mild but very aggressive leach for gold and other precious metals such as the platinum group metals (PGM's). It is not as harmful to the skin as the AR leach nor are the fumes quite as toxic, but we still recommend care and caution when making and handling this leach.DIRECTIONS: NOTE: This recipe is for 2 gallons of leach; you just use the same ratio to make any amount you want. Be sure that you have a well-ventilated area when mixing any chemicals . . . do not breath the fumes!

1. Bring 2 gallons of distilled water to a boil in a coated metal pan . . . like the gray/black ones used for canning.
2. Add in about 6 pounds of non-iodized salt and stir in very well. You want to fully saturate the salt into the water.
3. Let the solution cool overnight and let all of the excess salt settle to the bottom of the container. Some salt may still be floating on top or stuck to the sides of the container . . . just tap on the side of the container and they will settle to the bottom.
4. Dip out 7 quarts of the saturated salt water into another plastic or glass container. You will have a lot of salt gathered in the bottom and approx. a qt of water, just save this for the next batch and repeat the process but use approx. 5+ pounds of salt on the second and future batches. We just use plastic buckets with lids on them.
5. Now to your 7 quarts of saturated salt water you add 1 quart of Nitric Acid and mix it together. BE CAREFUL OF THE FUMES that are released. DO NOT BREATHE THEM!
6. If you want the leach to be more aggressive . . . which you probably will not need because it is very aggressive as it is . . . you can add up to 1 ounce of iodine. This is the iodine that you buy at a feed store that is used on livestock. It is 7% solution of iodine and costs $20 a gallon."

The solution must be neutralised before precipitation. Simple Urea works well. Add small amounts of Urea until fizzing stops.

Now use Sodium Metabisulphate to drop your gold as a brown mud to the bottom of your container. Wash mud with ammonia to make sure all other impurities are dissolved , rinse with distilled water, dry and melt your gold.!

Hope this is helpful.

Johan Reyneke
- Pretoria

I wholeheartedly agree with editor regarding the publishing of anyone's proprietary information. However information that is within the public domain is just that.

For those looking to get a better understanding of the technology and an idea of likely components, do a little homework and look up US Patent 5009755 granted to Mr. Shor.

I hope this helps. And don't forget Patents can be an incredible source of cool information.

Don Jones
- Austin, Texas USA

Hello I'm Alejandro from Colombia, I just bought a simplicity system and I have a question.
in the instructions they say that gold must be no more than 5% of silver content, in gold obtain in Colombian mines it means 950% gold. so why to refine a 950% to get 999%?
the say how to alloy down the gold to run in the simplicity.
right now I have 1 ounce of 595% gold it probably means in have 59.5% of pure gold and maybe some thing close to 40.5% of silver, can I run this in the simplicity if not, how do I allow down this easily?
thanks in advance,

Alejandro Posada
beginner refiner and gold and platinum seller. - Medellin, Antioquia, Colombia

Hello all! I'm a goldsmith in Romania,and I would like to know if is there a method for gold and silver refining,without the use of any strong acids, like nitric, or hydrochloric. In the past I have used them, but now it is almost impossible to buy such chemicals -- at least here in Romania
thanks in advance!
Bela Kovacs from Romania

Bela Kovacs
- Tg.Mures,Romania

Please advise, are there cheaper chemicals for the simplicity system or a better way of refining scrap metal

John White
natural precious metalsp - Durban, South Africa

Hey Johan R of Pretoria, do you have anymore detailed steps for that process? Like at what stage do you put in the grounded gold ore?
I'm into small scale mining as well and am interested in alternate gold extraction methods

Ray Tan
- Manila, Philippines

I use to work in a metallurgical lab and refined gold from gold nickel/palladium alloys all of the time, however it required a fume hood due to the profuse outgassing of nitric oxide - which can drop you on the spot - however the process was quick and simple. dissolve the alloy in a solution of concentrated nitric/hydrochloric acid aka aqua regia. once dissolved I simply added fine copper powder until the gold precipitated out (the copper displaced the gold, however did not displace the nickel or palladium due to its location on the galvanic/potential chart) the gold will precipitate out as a brown mud, then the acid will continue to dissolve the copper for quite a long time after you see the bulk of the gold precipitate out so you don't have to worry about copper dropping to the bottom of the mix. pore off the bulk of the concentrated acid and dilute with water allowing the precipitate to resettle each time. Pore off again and repeat until the water is clear. allow the precip to dry. if you like to experiment, place the resultant powder in a microwave and watch the powder pop and sputter fusing into extremely fine gold nuggets. its fun!

Kim Herrick
- Fennville, Michigan