Removal of gold plate/wash from sterling silver jewelry

An ongoing discussion from 2004 through 2015 . . .

(2004)

Q. I have previously worked in the steel industry as a purchasing agent with a basic knowledge of metallurgy but very little knowledge of plating finishes.

My wife has what appears to be a gold plated sterling silver necklace. The item is approximately one-quarter inch wide and is a continuous solid piece bent into a "U" shape. One side is coated in a gold tone. The "wash" (it's not a very thick coating) is beginning to wear off.

I'm looking for a commercially available cleaning solution that will remove the coating from the silver but that won't scratch or mar the underlying silver surface.

I'd appreciate any help or direction in this matter.

Joe Wilusz
Former purchasing agent for cold rolled steel strip manufacturer and current consumer - Bloomfield, Connecticut, USA

(2004)

Q. Wanted to follow up on the question that was asked. Can a gold wash be removed easily and safely from sterling silver jewelry? And if so, what is the process, how long will it take, what is the cost?

Tina Udelson
- Los Angeles, California

thumbsdownI wouldn't remove the gold wash/gold plating if I were you. It will decrease the value of the piece. There really isn't any reason to take it off. I have (accidentally) taken off the gold wash on a piece of sterling silver by simply polishing it with Wright's Silver Creamamazoninfo.

Once again, don't take the gold wash off. It's supposed to be there (to protect against corrosive foods/liquids) and it adds value.

George Forman
- Atlanta, Georgia, United States

A. Brassoamazoninfowill take it right off. I just learned this myself. Have a gold plated lighter thats nearly as old as I am, want to do the same thing.

Frank Hansen
- Porter, Texas

A. I tried the Wright's Silver cream to remove gold plating from sterling silver and it didn't work. I haven't tried the Brasso yet.

Victoria Roberts
- Centralia, Missouri, USA

thumbsup2I tried the Brasso on my bracelet and it worked well. It didn't take of all the gold but 90 percent of it and did a much better job than most of the other stuff I tried. Doesn't seem to affect the CZ's at all either, which is good :) Thanks

Dinah Hurst
- Cary, North Carolina, USA

A. Hi all. I would not expect Silver Cream nor Brasso nor any other commercially available polish to contain the super-powerful acid (aqua regia) that can actually dissolve gold. Rather, these polishes have a small amount of abrasive buffing compound in them and, if the gold wash/flash/plating is very thin (millionths of an inch), they simply wear it away. A jeweler may use abrasive disks or sticks to do the same thing more aggressively if the gold plating is thicker.

thrashing

Stripping gold plating from silver jewelry

(2004)

Q. I want to know how to take plating off jewelry gold plated over silver want to remove the gold.

Sue Deiss
jewelry making - Liberty, Missouri

(2004)

A. You can strip it chemically with 200 gm sulphuric acid/30 gm hydrochloric acid(conc.)/15 gm nitric acid(40 Be) solution.Immerse dry(!) objects in solution. Rinse well finished objects!

(2005)

Q. Hi, in reference to the answer of how to get gold plating off if sterling silver jewelry, where would you find the chemicals for that process, how long must the jewelry soak in it, and if the piece has precious and or semiprecious stones in it, will the compound hurt the stones? Thank you. :)

Regina Bapties
- Port Royal, South Carolina

A. Hello Regina. The previous response was from a museum metals curator to presumably a professional jewelry maker -- and should not be taken to imply that consumers should try to formulate aqua regia, the most powerful acid known, and toss their jewelry into it! Gold is one of the most chemically resistant and stable metals known. It is very difficult to dissolve. Please take your jewelry to a jeweler for that kind of process; they may in fact choose to remove the gold with abrasives rather than powerful acids. See David Vinson's entry on letter 14022, "Gold plating removal". Good luck.

March 13, 2015appended

Q. I have a gold plated ring over sterling silver, but the gold is coming out and I would like to take out all the gold out, so that it will be sterling silver only. It looks cheap the way it is. What should I do, and can I take the gold plating out of my sterling silver ring?

Susana Furtado
- Riverside, Rhode Island USA

A. Hi Susana. Some of the gold has already worn off, so it's probably not very thick. Try one of the recommended polishes like Wright's Silver Cream or Brasso. The courser abrasive you use, the faster it will go, but the less shine you'll be left with. A jeweler can polish it up if you wish. Good luck.