The finishing.com Hotline -- Serious Education ... plus the most fun you can have in metal finishing

Can you anodize in bright yellow

++++

We are a leading sign making company and are intending to mount an exhibition showing all the types of products that are available to the industry. We work very closely with top designers and one of our associates believes that he has seen some anodized aluminum that was Bright Yellow in color instead of the usual gold. My question, therefore, is regarding the availability of a virtually solid yellow color in an anodized finish that has good durability and is commercially available. We do not anodize ourselves but before I started searching through finishing companies I wanted to know if I was asking an impossible question or not.

Bill Black
Sub-Contractor controller, Sign making - Exeter, Devon, England

++++

Yellow anodizing is definitely possible and we regularly stock the dye for it. We specialize in bulk anodizing fasteners and other small aluminum parts, if we can be of service please feel free to contact me privately using the link below.

Jim Gorsich
Accurate Anodizing Inc.

Compton, California, USA

++++

The word "signs" implies outdoor exposure and you mentioned durability. Organic Dyes exposed to sunlight will fade in time, some more than others. Ferric Ammonium Oxalate which is gold (some might call it yellow)will not fade like the organic dyes.

Editor's note:    
   Mr. Probert is the
   author of