Industry specs for powder coating thickness?

adv. pointer  Tiger Drylac

++++

Q. I need to know what are the industry specifications for powder coat thickness.

Larry Jdeleted
process engineer - Elkhart, Indiana

+++

A. That is a tough one to give a general answer to, Larry, since the coatings could go as thick as 20 mils or even more for thermoplastic coatings applied by fluidized bed, or as thin as a couple of mils or even one mil. What kind of parts, and what kind of exposure conditions?

++++

A. The application method is electrostatic spray. The environment is best described as indoor laboratory. What I am trying to determine is how much mechanical tolerance I need to accommodate this type of finish or what are reasonable coating thickness tolerances can I give to the finisher.

Larry J [returning]
process engineer - Elkhart, Indiana

++++

A. The standard film thickness for a standard powder coating for optimum mechanicals is between 60 and 80 microns (~2-3 mils).

Hope this helps,

Drew Devlin
- Lincolnshire, U.K.

Q. Is the 2-3 mil. thickness also the industry standard for powder coated deck rails? If not, what is the desired industry standard for that application?

Darryl Ddeleted
- Grants Pass, Oregon

A. AAMA specifies coating film thickness not less than 30 microns, and British standard 40 microns above, powder coat supplier specifies 60-80 micron for architectural powder coatings.

Ganapathydeleted

Q. Dear sir,

Please mention the standard document for powder coating thickness?. It is required for our ISO document.

Umesh

Umesh Devadiga
- Bangalore

A. Hi Umesh. The product line you are referring to is deckrails, and the coatings are polyester, correct? And you presently refer to no spec at all when you place powder coating orders?

Q. Dear sir,

I'm referring to powder coating for industrial racks. For our audit purpose, I want to show them standard practice for Powder coating will be 60-80 microns. But I'm unable to get any standard documents or files for above matter. Please suggest me the documents or person?

Umesh Devadiga
- Bangalore, India

A. It is best to seek advice from the specific Powder Manufacturer for the product and especially the colour you are using.
60-80 microns is a good general target.
You will find, however, that different formulations from different manufacturers for different colours will vary widely.
Probably a good example of this would be to look at, say, Safety Orange.
A TGIC resin, Lead Pigmented Polyester Powder would probably be okay at 60 microns.
An Amide technology Lead & Cadmium free Polyester Powder would almost certainly be translucent at 60 microns.
The trick there is to maximise opacity by thicker film build but avoiding orange peel.
Reds, Yellows & Oranges are the problem children.
Hope this helps.
Bill

William Doherty
trainer - Soldiers Pt., Australia

thumbsup2Thank you for your information

Umesh Devadiga
- Bangalore, India