Formula for preparing NC Thinner and Auto Thinner

(2004)

Q. I would be very much interested in manufacturing and distributing NC Thinner to Sri Lankan market. I have obtained many formulas for preparing of NC thinner but still not found success. Every time I got complaints that my product is not suitable for thinning of Primers, all kinds of coatings, automotive spray paints, etc.

I would be highly appreciated if you could give the best and accurate formula of making NC thinner by using solvents.

Thanking you, Yours truly,

Mohammed Adeleted
businessman - Colombo, Western Province, Sri Lanka

(2004)

A. Hello Mohammed. My experience is that there is little chance that you'll get much response to your question the way it stands. But if you describe your best formula and explain in what ways it isn't yet satisfactory, I'm confident that someone will give you some hints about how to improve it. Good luck!

(2004)

Q. Hello Sir,

It is so regrettable to state that this is my second letter to you of knowing a very important matter which effects my personal life. I want to know the best formula of manufacturing of NC Thinner. Kindly give me the best formulation in preparing of quality thinners, both NC thinner (for wood items) and Auto super thinner (for auto vehicles).

Also I am expecting your company collaboration to proceed with these products and any available other manufacturers such as Sealers, Varnishers, Lacquers, etc.

Awaiting your response with many hopes.

Best regards, Yours truly,

Mohammed A [returning]

A. Dear Cousin Mohammed,
I personally cannot answer you because I know little about NC thinner formulation. But as the editor of the site I predicted that none of our thousands of readers would offer the info you requested ... and I told you why ... and I suggested how to rewrite your question in order to draw interest and get some responses.

But "Formulation of Organic Coatings", available as of this writing for $15, =>
has a 35-page subchapter just on nitrocellulose lacquers, with much of it about thinning and viscosity control.

"Technology of Paints, Varnishes, and Lacquers" =>
has a 4-page subchapter on formulation of solvent systems for nitrocellulose and explains active solvents vs. latent solvents vs. diluents; and it offers troubleshooting tips for moisture blush, cotton blush, gum blush, and improper leveling. It's a fairly deep technology, not easily dispatched in the abstract, and there is no such thing as "best" except in response to an exact list of requirements.

It is unlikely that anyone would spend years developing such products and then simply post the data on the internet so that everyone in the world can take their business, while their own children go hungry. People don't do that; instead they patent a product or retain its formulation as a trade secret. Sorry! If you want a formula for a proprietary thinner that you aren't able to find in the many books on this topic, then you need to license it; you can't expect it for free. Perhaps the best approach in your situation would be to search through expired patents and see if you find a suitable one there. It's very easy to do that these days with all the patents being on line.

But again, as I noted, if you tell us what you tried and what problems it gave you, people are almost always generous enough to suggest improvements.

++++

A. You will find that there are a great number of paint formulations, each will have a thinner that is appropriate for that specific paint. Read the can for the recommended thinner. If they only recommend a thinner by product name, they want to sell their material and not have people use generic mixtures that they cannot control.

++++

Q. I would be very much interested in studying of NC Lacquer I have obtained many formulas for preparing of NC lacquer but still not found success. Every time I got complaints that my product is not suitable for all kinds of coatings I would be highly appreciated if you could give the best and accurate formula of making NC lacquer.

Thank you very much , Yours truly,

Hoang Qdeleted
student - Ho Chi Minh, VietNam

A. Dear Hoang,

You copied & pasted a previous question that we predicted would not be answered and wasn't :-)

You've tried many formulas without success, but you didn't describe even one and tell us in what way it is deficient. Besides the fact that people consider their formulations trade secrets, people may feel that that if they take the time to offer a formula here, your reply would be that you already tried it and it didn't work. So just as we advised the previous inquirer, please tell us what your best formula is and what weaknesses it presented, and someone will probably help with a proposed adjustment -- in many cases it's technique rather than formula. Best of luck!

Q. I would be very much interested in manufacturing and distribute of NC Thinner to Sonipat market. I have obtained many formulas for preparing of NC thinner but still not found success. Every time I got complaints that my product is not suitable for thinning of Primers, all kinds of coatings, automotive spray paints, etc. I would be highly appreciated if you could give the best and accurate formula of making NC thinner by using solvents.

Thanking you, Yours truly,

prashant tyagi
- sonipat, haryana, india

Q. I would be very much interested in manufacturing and distribute of NC Thinner in indian market. I have obtained many formulas for preparing of NC thinner but still not found success. Every time I got complaints that my product is not suitable for thinning of Primers, all kinds of coatings, automotive spray paints, etc.

Thanking you, Yours truly,

vijay Rao Khempu
- Hyderabad, India

Hi cousin Prashant; Hi cousin Vijay.

I've already explained twice why I think wording the question this way will prove unproductive, but you've elected to simply copy and paste it for the third and fourth times anyway?

Oh well, good luck with it :-)

similarly

similarly

similarly

similarly
++++

Q. DEAR Sir/Madam,

I am looking for the complete chemical composition in % wise fashion for making NC THINNER, PTRS THINNER, PRINTING INK etc. Can anyone help me please. I am a beginner in this field.

Thanks a lot to you,

AMIT Bdeleted
- Udaipur, Rajasthan, INDIA

++++

Q. Please give me the formula of NC THINNER For Using In Wood Work.

Pankaj Adeleted
- Faridabad, Haryana

++++

Q. Despite of having so many formula for NC thinner, I would like to have the best one. I strongly believe, you will be supporting me to have the best one.

PONNUSAMY Gdeleted
mfrs. of chemicals - COIMBATORE, TAMILNADU, INDIA

thumbsup2Hi Ponnusamy. You say you have many formulations, but you do not offer one to the many people who are standing in line ahead of you asking for one :-(

Do you really feel that this is a constructive approach?  :-)

+++++++

Q. HI, I'm totally new here. I wanted to start this business in my hometown but I need people who has got more experience to guide me. As I heard from my friend.

Thinner came in barrel and they mix it before they fill it in small Can and distribute. That's what I wanted to do.

Where should I start? Thank you

Hitler Bong
- Sarawak, Malaysia

Q. I would like to start a NC thinner manufacturing company in India. So please advise me from where I will get the technical support or license for manufacturing NC Thinner. Otherwise give me the details of some reference book on this.

Richard Mathew
- India

A. Thinner formulation
25% butyl acetate
5-10% Acetone
1-10 ethyl acetate
1-10% n- Butanol
1-10% anhydrous isopropanol
1-10% xylene
1-10% propylene glycol
10-20% aliphatic petroleum distillate such as Stoddard solvent or other high purity mineral spirits.

Unfortunately we don't have specific formula for auto /NC thinner too. What you have to do is use the above guide formula change the proportion as per your demand.

Slow evaporating, medium evaporating, high evaporating.
Add more xylene if you need a strong one and aliphatic one for less strong thinner.

Enjoy it.

K.Berhanu
manufacturing - -

A. To make thinner is very easy

1- Ethyl Acetate 10 Lts
2- Butyl Acetate 10 lts
3- Alcohol 96° 90 Lts
4-Toluene 90 lts

total 200 Lts of good Thinner

If you want a Thinner only to degrease, don't use Acetate.

Mansur

Alex Mansur
- Sao Paulo, Brazil South America

A. NC Lacquer is very simple to make.
Obtain Toluene (Toluol) and Xylene (Xylol) from any major Engen, BP, etc., Depo. Usually they have a ready formulation of something called Lacquer Thinners.

To make 1 Litre: 100g NC Chips
900 ml lacquer thinners or 50/50 toluene and Xylene. Leave the chips overnight.
Following day, stir slowly to produce your NC lacquer.
This NC lacquer is quite fine for most jobs. It is quite hard wearing and will not flake under most conditions. It won't have much shine when dry. You could always add shine ingredients, but I do not see this necessary.
You can add Red oxide, 1 part to three parts of your completed NC lacquer or play around with the proportions to make a good primer for wrought iron. I have tried these formulations and they work very well. This lacquer is also good to make waterproof fireworks fuses. 1 part Saltpeter (Potassium Nitrate) and three parts fine charcoal mixed into one part of your NC Lacquer will make a "fuse paste". Slip a cotton twine through this slurry and let dry. There you are!. To make a quality fuse for resale purposes, use a fuse spinning wheel which will twist four or five strands of cotton twine onto a reel. Regards

A Ahmed
- Port Elizabeth

thumbsup2Hi K.B.; hi Alex; Hi A.A.

Thank you so much for your generosity in sharing!

Q. I want to know about methanol, is it used in making NC thinner? If used, then in what percentage?

Fahad R.
- Lahore, Pakistan

A. 50%

Kolitha
- Maharagama, Sri Lanka

Q. What is the formulation of Butyl Acetate??

Omer Farooq Janjua
- Sialkot, Punjab, Pakistan

Butyl acetate

Q. White board marker ink formulations needed, but so far I have not been able to find it.
I want this for my student project.
Can you help me?

hadiseh ghazvini
- arak, iran

Q. How do we reduce water in the thinner... any Chemical or any formulation steps?

Arif Hassan
- karachi, pakistan

----
Ed. note: Please write a couple of more sentences, cousin Arif -- sorry, but we don't know what your situation is yet.

Q. I'm totally new here. I wanted to start this business in my hometown but I need people who have got more experience to guide me. I would be very much interested in manufacturing. I need some formulas for preparing wall putty, water based distemper, solvent based distemper, Primer, Thinner, etc.
I would be highly appreciative if you could give the best and accurate formula of making above products.

Arif Azim
paint & chemicals - Sherkot Bijnor UP, India

Q. Please send me formulation for NC Lacquer which is sprayed on leather.

Bhavin Patel
Manufacturing - Baroda, Gujarat, India

Q. Hi, myself vippin mehandiratta m from rajasthan. I want to try to make thinner in rajasthan in india. Please help me to find the chemical of thinner. I want to start new work.

vippin mehandiratta
- sri ganga nagar rajasthan, India

Q. Sir
I want to know how to make NC base thinner and melamine thinner and NC thinner good for skin.

Ravi Kant
- Alwar Rajasthan India

May I know NC thinner & NC lacquer manufacturing process and required machines. (No need for formulation).

Suna

Sunanda Wickramanayaka
- Colombo

Hi Sunandra. The previously mentioned 35-page chapter in "Formulation of Organic Coatings" describes the machinery and methods. But if you know formulations already, please share at least one with the dozens of people waiting for help in front of you rather than adding to the list of unanswered questions. Thanks!

Q. I want to manufacture low cost NC Thinner. Send me full details. I have many formula which are high costing in indian rupees.
Tell me low cost formulation.

Gajendra kumar
chemicals - bangalore karnataka india

A. Hi Gajendra. From a quick scan of this subject I learned that toluol is very cheap. If you just want more volume of thinner cheaply, that's a direction :-)

What are your comments on the formulas generously offered by K.B., Alex, and A.A. in 2011? Please be as specific as possible. Thanks!

Tell me low cost formulation.

vishwas dhingra
- panipat haryana, India

Q. Sir,
I want to make Low Cost PVC Thinner for Screen Printing, i.e., Water White and Odorless and Slow Dry. Can you give me the formulation how to make it?

Kamlesh Gopani
Colour Spring - Mumbai,Maharashtra,India

Q. Hi all,

I am trying to make hi-gloss thinner. Can anyone tell me what should I add to my thinner for adding gloss and in what quantity?
My formulation is:

Ethyl Acetate
Butyl Acetate
Xylene
Toluene

Ashish Sood
- Ghaziabad, UP, India

Dear sir, I am a well experienced thinner maker. Worked in National Paints Doha Qatar.
Also retarders, wood preservatives, tile cleaners and bleaching liquids for clothes and toilet detergents, and more. Sir I am hunting a job in india, malaysia or pakistan. Sir, please kindly help me to find a job. Also can make polyurethane varnishes, anti corrosives, paints.
Please Kindly help me.
Best regards
M.Asmi

mohammad azmy <zarazmy@yahoo.com>
- colombo srilanka

thumbsup2Dear Ted Mooney, P.E. RET, I appreciate the effort you putting in enlightening producers of these product and encouraging others to come into the industry and participate.

Hope Eno
- Ejigbo, Lagos, Nigeria